SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Saturn Sales Down in December, Year-Over-Year

A new story entry has been added:

Saturn Sales Down in December, Year-Over-Year

Quote:
The 2008 calendar year was a down year for Saturn, General Motors, and the auto industry as a whole. However, not all new was bad for Saturn. There were two significant bright spots: sales of Saturn's midsize Aura sedan and Vue compact sport-utility were virtually flat year-over-year.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Saturn Sales Down in December, Year-Over-Year

Wow....all those numbers added up comes to about 187K units sold.

That's even LESS than the total number of S-Series cars sold prior to 1994-1995, per year when the S-Series numbers sold PEAKED at 280K+ in a year.

Wow

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
BadKarma
BadKarma is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Wow, I wondered why I haven't seen many other Astras on the road. 11,000 for the year?

Still, looked at another way, it sounds kind of cool to be able to say that I was personally responsible for .01% of all Astra sales for the year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BadKarma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BadKarma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BadKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Wow....all those numbers added up comes to about 187K units sold.

That's even LESS than the total number of S-Series cars sold prior to 1994-1995, per year when the S-Series numbers sold PEAKED at 280K+ in a year.

Wow
You're comparing the sales volume of a $17k hatchback, $23k sedan, $28k roadster, $24k CUV, and $32k CUV to a $12k sedan/coupe/wagon?

Even with that seemingly large volume on the S-series, the current models' revenue wins.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
You're comparing the sales volume of a $17k hatchback, $23k sedan, $28k roadster, $24k CUV, and $32k CUV to a $12k sedan/coupe/wagon?

Even with that seemingly large volume on the S-series, the current models' revenue wins.
Just comparing numbers only. I know there are different pricepoints on the lineup now.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

not having an ion type car was a killer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Ronlea
Ronlea is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 2.4L

Had a bad experience with Saturn VUE purchase. I purchased the Preferred package which was supposed to include the bluetooth cell phone option. It does not despite what the brochure and GM web site shows. My complaint to GM produced "it is a dealer issue". My complaint to the dealership got a reply of "it is a GM issue". GM's customer relations department took two week just to confirm my vehicle did not have bluetooth. I will not purchase another GM vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ronlea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ronlea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ronlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

haha, what did you expect? They're packing their boxes up there....it's amazing to me that there's still somebody left to answer the phone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
Wow, I wondered why I haven't seen many other Astras on the road. 11,000 for the year?

Still, looked at another way, it sounds kind of cool to be able to say that I was personally responsible for .01% of all Astra sales for the year.
11,000 is perfectly acceptable. It wasn't a full year of sales, yes? And these are incremental sales over what this car sells in Europe, also completly paid for program, so all Jill and Bob can claim is "millions" spent on badges.

If youre running the factory in Belgium, you are happy as a clam to have demand for an additional 900 units a month.

I like the Astra. Great looking in 3 door bodystyle, nice handling/ride compromise, robust german design....man if it had a performance model and polymer, it would be golden.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
m100
m100 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post

They have sold well over 10 million Astra/Kadetts world wide...you're just not looking in the right areas.

Its kinda like GM's Corolla worldwide...just not 'round these parts.

"I love hot hatches..." Jeremy Clarkson

2008 Saturn Astra XR - Daily Driver
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
1991 Lotus M100 Elan - Project Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronlea View Post
Had a bad experience with Saturn VUE purchase. I purchased the Preferred package which was supposed to include the bluetooth cell phone option. It does not despite what the brochure and GM web site shows. My complaint to GM produced "it is a dealer issue". My complaint to the dealership got a reply of "it is a GM issue". GM's customer relations department took two week just to confirm my vehicle did not have bluetooth. I will not purchase another GM vehicle.
I can answer to this - I'm not flaming you, just trying to help.

There were production issues concerning a late availability of Bluetooth installed on earlier 2009 VUEs. (2008 did not have BT). There was a late posted bulleting by GM stating exactly that sent to Saturn dealerships. Nonetheless, the salesman should have known his product better and you should have FULLY checked the car out before you accepted and bought it, period. Especially if BT was so important to you.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but I can promise you that whatever the next vehicle that you purchase if you don't check it out BEFORE you accept and purchase it you will have a repeat of the same situation.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
02OrangeSC2
02OrangeSC2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post

There were production issues concerning a late availability of Bluetooth installed on earlier 2009 VUEs. (2008 did not have BT). There was a late posted bulleting by GM stating exactly that sent to Saturn dealerships. Nonetheless, the salesman should have known his product better and you should have FULLY checked the car out before you accepted and bought it, period. Especially if BT was so important to you.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, but I can promise you that whatever the next vehicle that you purchase if you don't check it out BEFORE you accept and purchase it you will have a repeat of the same situation.
Exactly. And in your sales catalog there is a disclaimer that says:
"Important words about this catalog. we have tried to make this catalog comprehensive and factual. We reserve the right, however, to make changes at any time, without notice, in prices, colors, meterials, equipment, specifications, models, and availability......"
It then goes on to say:
"Assembly. Saturn vehicles and their componentsare assembled or produced by different operating units of GM, its subsidiaries or suppliers of GM worldwide. We sometimes find it necessary to produce Saturn vehicles with different or differently sourced components than originally scheduled.Because some options may be unavailable whenwhen your vehicle is assembled, we suggest you verify that your vehicle includes the equipment you ordered, or if there are changes, that they are acceptable to you."

The most Saturn's in Erie County Ohio
96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
04 ION RL GM Stage 2 Electric Blue
07 SKY RL GM Stage Kit Silver Graphite
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02OrangeSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02OrangeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02OrangeSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
not having an ion type car was a killer
Agreed 100%, but Saturn needed to make a profit on the car, too.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

unfortunately this is a bad time to talk about any car sales. Its also a time that a company like Saturn could and should be shutdown. Pontiac should join them.

Now again this is a bad time. Hopefully both of those companies has a chance to show what they are made of going forward as times improve. These two should be the first to go if things stay as they are or get worst.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
02OrangeSC2
02OrangeSC2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line

"There were 34 Saturn Aura and 338 Vue hybrids sold in December."

I can understand this. It all goes back to the lack of Saturn marketing. The VUE Hybrids are getting all kinds of exposure, while GM didn't even bother to have an AURA Hybrid at the Detroit Auto Show.

The most Saturn's in Erie County Ohio
96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
04 ION RL GM Stage 2 Electric Blue
07 SKY RL GM Stage Kit Silver Graphite
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02OrangeSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02OrangeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02OrangeSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #16
jphillips78
jphillips78 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
Happy Re: Saturn Sales Down in December, Year-Over-Year

I love my 2003 L200 but was looking to buy a new car while this one still had some trade-in value. I was looking at smaller hatchbacks for the mileage but fell in love with the 2009 Aura after a test drive. So I took a leap of faith and bought the 2009 Aura XE yesterday. Saturn gave me 5K on the trade plus $2750 incentive cash. This car turns heads and is not boring like the Honda Accord (which I also owned in the past). Stop complaining and get out there and buy a new car if you love your Saturns! The sales tax deduction for buying a new car made it into the final stimulus bill that Congress is voting on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jphillips78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jphillips78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jphillips78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips78 View Post
I love my 2003 L200 but was looking to buy a new car while this one still had some trade-in value. I was looking at smaller hatchbacks for the mileage but fell in love with the 2009 Aura after a test drive. So I took a leap of faith and bought the 2009 Aura XE yesterday. Saturn gave me 5K on the trade plus $2750 incentive cash. This car turns heads and is not boring like the Honda Accord (which I also owned in the past). Stop complaining and get out there and buy a new car if you love your Saturns! The sales tax deduction for buying a new car made it into the final stimulus bill that Congress is voting on.
you're brave. If Saturn goes, you're going to be left with very expensive memorabilia over there....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post

Correct and very true. Don't take the vehicle until you check everything and I mean everything. Don't take.

I made the mistake of taking my special order GMC 2008. I ordered and was stated on window sticker the optional HD battery. Weeks went by before I checked. Nope. It wasn't there. Either the factory made a mistake or there were some quick hands at the dealership.

I did get my optional battery but after a few weeks wait. And multiple trips to dealership (50 miles).

Just have to check everything BEFORE taking delivery. And make sure all works as it is supposed to.

Lesson Learned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
jphillips78
jphillips78 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nababbo View Post
you're brave. If Saturn goes, you're going to be left with very expensive memorabilia over there....
If only the Saturn brand folds, then GM would have to honor the warranty and provide parts for up to 15 years; not worried about service since I have a good mechanic. The only way it would be a complete wash is if GM would go bankrupt. And I'll still have the best looking car on the block! This recession is only going to get worse until people get out of this bunker mentality. Go support your local Saturn dealer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jphillips78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jphillips78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jphillips78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips78 View Post
If only the Saturn brand folds, then GM would have to honor the warranty and provide parts for up to 15 years; not worried about service since I have a good mechanic. The only way it would be a complete wash is if GM would go bankrupt. And I'll still have the best looking car on the block! This recession is only going to get worse until people get out of this bunker mentality. Go support your local Saturn dealer!
Exactly. +1

GM isn't going under and even IF Saturn did get dissolved GM is legally responsible to honor warranties and parts availability for many years. Which would most likely be beyond what the average person keeps their car anyways. The average person keeps their car for 3-5 years.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote