SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
elizann773
elizann773 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Question 05 Ion no power, rough idle

My Ion has been running rough and no power. I was thinking it was a gas problem, since I put gas in at a different station than normal with only about an 1/8 in the tank. I drove about 50miles before I noticed any problem, at which time it felt like I had ice in the tires, check the tires, nothing. Next morning was snowy, didnt really notice until I went to leave work. I turned the key, nothing. Turned again, wouldnt turn over. So I pumped the gas once and it started but has been running rough since. I took it to autozone, they just said it needed a tune up, coil or plugs-but it was misfiring, nothing specific. SO I added some gas treatment(thinking still it was bad gas), didnt work, added new gas, nope. Changed plug caps, no. Changed plugs, gave it a little more power but still no. Its acting like its running on 1 or 2 cylinders. Now reading these threads, I highly doubt its the coil since I see its supposed to last the life of the car. The car has 59k on it and have changed the plugs twice since I've had it. Air filter was changed over the summer. I have had so many little issues with this car since I bought it I am really not impressed, and I have always been a GM fan. Is it possible its a fuel filter problem? When its idling its idiling low then it will bog down then back up, or does this sound more like timing? I cant afford to take it to the garage so if its something I can fix myself, or at least have a heads up going to the garage it might save me some money... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot,
Liz

**yes I did also post this same thing under another thread

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elizann773's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elizann773 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
elizann773 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 05 Ion no power, rough idle

Plugged cat from driving a car that's misfiring?

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

it's a possibility, fixing the misfire is the first step.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although no mention of mileage was posted and can occur, its not likely to be a clogged catalytic converter unless the Service Engine Soon light was flashing all the time as an indication of something very wrong. And although many parts are supposed to last the life of a car, in reality this can only apply to a run of parts that have a proven track record by being out there in numbers as well as years of use so lifetime parts must be taken with a grain of salt. The infamous faulty coolant sensor in almost every S-series car still plagues new buyers with the same engine running complaints that the previous owner never paid any attention to. As second hand buys and with little mileage, these new/old cars are still posted here with the same suggestion to replacing the original sensor. And found cracked!? What may be ailing your car, from your brief descriptions, can be either the ignition control module or the ignition coil, separate components that plug together and sit on top of the engine. A good mechanic with a scan tool may be able to isolate one from the other. Look at this link, post #4's left most picture of an ignition control module;http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130209. Below is the ignition coil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ion ignition coil module.jpg (15.4 KB, 41 views)

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

that's the coil pack, there are two coils inside of that which is what gets replaced, replacing both coils at the same time is usually required.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #6
elizann773

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Thanks everyone, after reading that other thread it sounds like I should check the ICM first. Also another thing its doing, the RPMs going way high before it shifts. I havent been driving it anyway.

Thanks again for the info, will post when I figure it out to let anyone else who had the problem know!

Liz

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help elizann773 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
elizann773

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quick question...should I disconnect the battery before changing the ICM and coil pack? And which battery should I do or both?

Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Removing the battery negative cable is all that's needed to work on anything electrical/electronic. You'll lose your radio presets unless you know which EFI main fuses to pull that power the ignition control module. Most IGN labeled fuses power the EFI system and removing them just kills the EFI keep-alive memory without killing the radio memory.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
elizann773

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Thanks, I already did it and its running BEAUTIFUL again!! I am so happy my baby is back, and I dont even feel when its shifting now either.

I was able to get both components through a salvage yard for $50, and it does have a warranty, better than to $200 it would have cost!

Thanks again for all your info everyone

Liz

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

why would you get salvaged parts when that part has an average service life of less than 100000miles?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
elizann773

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Because Im poor? lol Cant afford to trick out my car, just need it to go from point A to B. If its a part that has a short life history anyway, what would be the point of buying new?(Other than lasting a little longer) It has the same warranty either way, so if it craps out again, its covered.

Regardless, I will pat myself on the back for not letting some mechanic rip me off by telling me it was this or that, when, with some help from here as well, I took care of the problem myself.....not too shabby for a girl I dont think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I wasn't bashing you for fixing it yourself, I praise you, a lot of women won't touch their car unless it's to do basic stuff, however, buying a new part isn't tricking out your car, it's ensuring reliability as long as possible, how many miles do the coils and the ICM have on them? and how long is the warranty?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
elizann773

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I know that new parts will have a longer life, supposing that the new part isnt faulty as well. I called the parts store and they dont warranty the part, the warranty only comes with installation by a certified mechanic. The labor rate in my area for that is 65-80/hr, or at the dealer even higher. I have a 6mo on the part I just installed, and at the rate I put mileage on a vehicle, I would say about another 25-30k. My car currently has 59k on it. As far as the mileage of the vehicle it came out of, Im not sure, I did forget to find that out, which was bad on my part. If it lasts 6mos and 1 day, yeah Im screwed again, at least I know what it is now. At this point, I just moved, been layed off from work for 3 wks due to a lack in auto-sales and needed my car back....it was the most economical and realistic choice. Should it crap out again in more than 6mos, now I know the problem and I will buy new, provided nothing else has gone wrong with the car or I havent traded it in by then.

But thanks for the praise, it was much less intimidating than most of the newer cars!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

these cars are incredibly easy to work on, everything has been simplified, the electrical, the vacuum system, the PCV, everything is about as simple as possible, and for the most part everything has enough room around it to work on it in the car.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!