SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
2teendaughters
2teendaughters is on a distinguished road

Default New to Saturns

Never noticed these great little cars to much before. My 17 year old finally earned my trust to get her first set of wheels. Found a 2000 SL2 with only 34k on the clock. Proud as a pickle I was at getting her a great set of wheels that was well within our budget. Three weeks later she pulls a left hand turn into on coming traffic. She was fine but the car was totaled due to age. I bought it back for $280 and have found another 01 Sl2 with all the front end parts for $650 with only 50K.

So to get her going again I found another 2000 SL2 this weekend with 100k that still runs great but it has a loud engine rattle at cold start up that comes from the passenger side of the motor. It also seems to be coming from or near the top of the timing area. ANY ideas or past problems on these 1.9l motors?

So now that I have 2.5 SL2s in the backyard you wonder what the hell I am going to do with otherone when I get it back together? Well the second teen daughter will be 16 in August and I hope to have the one with 34k up and running soon for her.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2teendaughters's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2teendaughters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2teendaughters is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: New to Saturns

Welcome to SaturnFans! Safety wise you made a good choice, especially for teens. You will find lots of people here who are knowledgeable and helpful.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2teendaughters View Post
So to get her going again I found another 2000 SL2 this weekend with 100k that still runs great but it has a loud engine rattle at cold start up that comes from the passenger side of the motor. It also seems to be coming from or near the top of the timing area. ANY ideas or past problems on these 1.9l motors?
A test: Remove the serpentine belt and start it up as you would normally. Only run the engine shortly as there will be no water pump functioning. If the sound is not there then you have eliminated the worst problem, the timing chain. If you still get the noise then it sounds like it is the timing chain.

If the noise is gone with the serpentine belt removed then try rotating each pulley by hand to see if you can find the culprite. A good one will rotate smoothly with no side to side motion.

Welcome to the forum.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

Welcome. One of the best resources I found on this site are Richpin's how-to videos at http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...highlight=ects

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
2teendaughters
2teendaughters is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys I'm getting that warm fuzzy feeling I used to get from my wife and kids. I guess I'll stick around here for awhile. Could one of you point me in the right direction as far as plastic panel prep before painting? Thanks in advance....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2teendaughters's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2teendaughters reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2teendaughters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

Welcome to Saturnfans! It really is a great website.

For starters, check out the Saturn S-Series forum, as that is specific to your model. Much knowledge is available in the "Tech" area, besides the good suggestions already mentioned here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote