SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

Default Hazard lights won't turn off (and I didn't turn them on!)

So, I went out to snowblow my driveway (yet again!) and when I head out I notice the hazard lights on my Astra are blinking. That's funny cause I'm pretty confident I didn't turn them on (in fact, I'm not sure that I've EVER turned them on). So, I truck back into the house grab my keys, unlock the car and try to turn them off. NOTHING DOING!

I can't get my friggen hazards to turn off, I've tried taking it for a quick spin (don't know why that'd do it, but I'm just) and turning them off, that didn't do it. Obviously just pressing the button doesn't do it. I found an entry on this site indicating to pull the negative terminal from the battery and leave it off for a bit, tried that, to no avail.

Onstar's got nothing. So now it sits in my lane with the battery disconnected. I guess I can head to the dealer tomorrow, but that's a pain the butt and it means that I'll have to take some time off work.

I'm hoping some of you knowledgable fans have some suggestions for me...

Don't know whether it's at all relevant or not but it's just rolled over 20k. The only other problem that I've experienced (although never had looked at) was a couple of times my cruise control just flat out wouldn't set. I use cruise ALL THE TIME, so it's not like I'm not familiar with how to set it. That just resolved itself after about 10 minutes of driving. It's happened twice...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoody123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoody123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
mart
mart is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Hazard lights won't turn off (and I didn't turn them on!)

The brake pedal needs to be pressed at least once for your cruise to be able to engage.
I don't see what was the logic behind this engineering solution though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
dubstyl86
dubstyl86 is on a distinguished road

Get into your manual and see if the hazards run on an independent fuze.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dubstyl86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dubstyl86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dubstyl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
andrew-astra
andrew-astra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2002 SL2

Pull the Hazard relay/ flasher unit?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andrew-astra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andrew-astra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andrew-astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

Well, an update. I left the battery terminal disconnected all night and when it was reconnected this morning - still flashing. My wife took it to work this morning in order to take it to the dealer later in the day. She of course disconnected the battery while in at work and when she came out to take it up to the dealer - POOF! No more flashy lights. Frustrating to say the least, but the dealer didn't want to see it after that.

I'll keep you posted if it happens again...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoody123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoody123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Based on what you're telling us I'd suspect two different failures. The flashers are controlled by the steering column module (SCM), but the cruise control is managed by either the Body Control Module (BCM) or the transmission control module.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Daredevil6534
Daredevil6534 is on a distinguished road

theres a single fuse in the front box and another in the passanger kick panel box

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Daredevil6534's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Daredevil6534 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Daredevil6534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 AM   #8
AstraXR
AstraXR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Idea Re: Hazard lights won't turn off (and I didn't turn them on!)

Hi there!
I will try to help.

hazard switch --> Instrument panel cluster --> Under hood electrical center -->Rear electrical center. That's the ''path'' of the signals to turn the hazard ON.

When you ground the hazard switch, it's send a signal. The ground wire is behind the cluster. So, logically, it should be a defective switch or the wire that goes to the switch is cut or shaffed and ground before it goes to the hazard switch, but that pretty unusual for a car that is pretty young! When the hazard light come on, without your request, if you disconnect the switch and
the lights goes OFF, then it's the swtich, if not........

Will be glad to hear from you the problem when the dealer fix it.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraXR is offline   Reply With Quote