SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
dabatman99
dabatman99 is on a distinguished road

Default 1999 Saturn SL OBDII CODES

Got two codes on girlfrineds car. P1404 (EGR) and P0341. P0341 got me really confused as it says "Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Perfomance". As we all know there is no Camshaft Position Sensor on these cars. I read somewhere that it references itself to the pulse count on #4 cylinder. Somebody else must have had this code before and if you can tell me in lamen terms what the problem is, I'll nominate you for an award! I'm suspecting that there is possibly a misfire, and I'm going to change spark plug wires (just installed plugs a couple weeks ago). Mechanic said they were looking old. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dabatman99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dabatman99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dabatman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 1999 Saturn SL OBDII CODES

You're on the right track, it is a misfire code essentially...replacing the wires is a good start. While you;re removing them from the coil packs, make sure the towers are nice and shiny clean. If they aren't, grab a scotchbrite pad and clean them up. Dielectric grease when clean. Also check your plugs. If you or someone else put platinum plugs in it, get them outta there. NGK Copper are the preferred plug for the S Series engine, no exotic metals are necessary, nor will they help. Search the forums for P0341, this code comes up a lot.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
dabatman99

Ok, I went out last night and tapped on the side of what looks like the EGR valve. On most other vehicles (and in the haynes manual) they are usually diaphram (pancake like) in shape. On this car it's more like a cylinderical shape (like a skinny can of beer..yum). The car started idling fine again, and this morning the code went away on itself. So, can the EGR valve be taken off the car and lubricate it or clean it some way? This has happened to her before earlier in the fall, and then it just went away on its own. As for the other code problem, I'm going to change the plug wires and see what happens. If they did in fact put fancy schmancy platinum or iridium plugs in it, is it safe to leave them in there for a few thousand kilometers or (and I suspect you'll go with this one) change them for the NGK copper? When you get a set of wires, they don't give you alot of dielectric grease do they? Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dabatman99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
dabatman99

Ok, I changed plugs...never seen anything like that before where they have those slip on covers that bolt to the engine...kinda good idea...just pain in the *****, and I hope that solves that problem. I cleaned out the throttle body (but I didnt' unbolt and dismantle) left it on the car and also took out the EGR valve. It's an electric solenoid (no vacuum), but I cleaned that out as best as I could, but I noticed that the spring inside seems weak. Is that common for them or is that a sign it's getting weak and will need replacement? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

The spring inside the EGR is not very stiff. Sounds like yours is normal. As long as you cleaned it and it moves easily it should be fine. A common thing to do when you have the EGR off is start the vehicle. This blows all the stuff out of the where the EGR is mounted. The car will be very loud and the revs will be at about 4K. Gets it cleaned out though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 AM   #6
dabatman99

Well got it working ALOT better now, but I may take it off again and blow it out like you said...that is a good point! Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

The EGR valve on post 1995 model year Saturns switched from being a vacuum powered "pancake" style, to a Cylinder style that is operated by servo motors mounted inside the housing.

You can also use Seafoam Deep Creep to spray into the EGR ports on the engine to help clean out the carbon buildup that may be present in the engine.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote