SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
alfasteve
alfasteve is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Dizzy Primer type for plastic

Hi,
I am in process of painting a scrap yard door, and I am getting bubbles in several places. It appears the primer did not bond well, and this is causing the bubbles. Paint is PPG, and the primer is SEM high build primer recommended by paint shop. Fender came out perfect, but the door did not. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alfasteve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alfasteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alfasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
IYAAYAS
IYAAYAS is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2000 SL
Default Re: Primer type for plastic

Bubbles after the coat is dry or while it's still wet? How heavy of a coat are you applying? Are you letting the primer dry before topcoating or going wet on wet?

A primer is used to help prevent / slow corrosion. With a plastic panel you should just be able to put the finish coat directly onto the plastic. Solvent wipe first and check with PPG and see if you need an adhesion promoter. Sometimes you need one with plastic, sometimes not.

IYAAYAS

2000 SL2, 5 speed @ 216K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IYAAYAS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IYAAYAS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IYAAYAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
alfasteve
alfasteve is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. The primer is not adhering either. I did not pick up that some imperfections in the primer coat were bubbles, but when I applied the clear coat it cropped up. Do you know what to use as adhesion promoter?

Thanks,
Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alfasteve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alfasteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alfasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
IYAAYAS
IYAAYAS is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
2000 SL

If you are getting bubbles then there is air trapped in the primer that you released when you applyed the topcoat. How "wet" and heavy the primer was applied could make that happen. Also, how much time in between the primer and topcoat could be an issue.

If you have "fisheyes" where it look like the coating is pulling away from the surface and leaving a pockmark then you have a contaminant present on your door. Typical contaminants that would cause this are oils, silicones, waxes, etc.

I would try the following:

1. Lightly sand (For intercoat adhesion between old and new paint)
2. Solvent wipe with xylol or something similar (To remove any contaminates)
3. Spray a tack coat of primer (dry spray to flash off some of the solvent)
4. Then follow with a nice wet coat of primer.
5. Let it dry for the minimum time recommended on the can (Check for a recoat window on the dircections).
6. Topcoat by tack coating followed with a nice wet coat.

You won't need a lot of paint. Depending on the solids percentage 0.5 - 1.0 mils (dry film) would be when the wet coat starts just form a ridge on the edge of the part.

As far as the adhesion promoter, I would talk with the shop you bought the paint from. I'm only familiar with the additives direct from the raw material supplier and I don't want to recommend something that could be an issue later.

Anyway you could practice on your old door?

IYAAYAS

2000 SL2, 5 speed @ 216K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IYAAYAS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IYAAYAS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IYAAYAS is offline   Reply With Quote