SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Saturn Astra a "Joy to Drive"

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Saturn Astra a "Joy to Drive"

Quote:
David Chao for Canada's Surrey Now: In general, cars designed in Europe and modified for North American consumption don't survive the transition very well. That's both unfortunate and fortunate, because the vehicles often lose a lot of what makes them exciting, but gain improved bumpers and other equipment to meet our stricter safety and emissions requirements.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Saturn Astra a "Joy to Drive"

From the article...

Quote:
It's a joy to drive, fuel-efficient, and is easily the best small car in GM Canada's fleet.
Yet we still don't see any publicity for it. Why? The lack of cup holders? Confusing (actually just complex) stereo/computer? I just don't get it. Anyone who's driven the competition knows there's no better car in the class of the Astra. Period.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robor007 View Post
From the article...

Yet we still don't see any publicity for it. Why? The lack of cup holders? Confusing (actually just complex) stereo/computer? I just don't get it. Anyone who's driven the competition knows there's no better car in the class of the Astra. Period.
the stereo computer is not even complex .Its simply different .

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
blk06RXC
blk06RXC is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger d View Post
Exactly! A lot of people don't like things that are different! Most people want their arm rests, twin cup holders, annoyingly spring loaded seat backs!! Also, people don't want to have to read through the book in order to do most of the things they take for granted. They don't want 'hard' seats, or 'rough' suspensions! If someone decided to try something different, they will most likely like how simply effective it is. Most people do not realize this though, so they stick with the same old same old, like the same old English system. America has become the epitome of conformity. So much so that most are clinging to fossils for our source of food (and transportation ) Ok, I am ranting now...

This is why I like Saturns, because they ARE different!

Sorry for the rant

2006 Black Ion-2 ____ 25kmi R.I.P.
2008 Black Astra XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blk06RXC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blk06RXC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blk06RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk06rxc View Post
exactly! A lot of people don't like things that are different! Most people want their arm rests, twin cup holders, annoyingly spring loaded seat backs!! Also, people don't want to have to read through the book in order to do most of the things they take for granted. They don't want 'hard' seats, or 'rough' suspensions! If someone decided to try something different, they will most likely like how simply effective it is. Most people do not realize this though, so they stick with the same old same old, like the same old english system. America has become the epitome of conformity. So much so that most are clinging to fossils for our source of food (and transportation ) ok, i am ranting now...

This is why i like saturns, because they are different!

Sorry for the rant :d

x10000000

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Saturn#5
Saturn#5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

Really the time that we Americans waste discussing silly issues like how many cup holders, or the armrest issue in the Astra is really funny to watch. I have owed my Astra for about a month and really it is the best handling car by far that I have owned!

The cup holder doesn't bother me in the least...really it's a car not a coffee bar! If you really sit back and think about it the Astra has 4 cup holders...one in the center, two in the rear, and one in the glove box (okay I give you that this one is an odd place for a cup holder). The driver is the only one who needs to have a cup holder that is accessible...that is the center console one.

As far as the armrest...that is a personal opinion...but it seems to be more in the way than a convenience (from what I have heard, I don't personally have one).

The fact is the car is really fun to drive.

Saturn#5

Saturn car history:
1995 SL2
2002 LW200
2005 ION
2007 VUE
2008 Astra

HEY GM...KISS MY ASTRA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn#5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
blk06RXC
blk06RXC is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn#5 View Post
The driver is the only one who needs to have a cup holder that is accessible...that is the center console one.
My sentiments exactly! The passenger can hold the drink.

'don't spill the drink in my brand new car either!!!!'

The rear cup holder is cool that it is embedded into the rear seat!

2006 Black Ion-2 ____ 25kmi R.I.P.
2008 Black Astra XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blk06RXC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blk06RXC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blk06RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger d View Post
I think a better description than complex is highly configurable. Most cars don't have 9 presets in a single menu or the option of base/treble *and* an equalizer. Definitely different but IMO after a day of use it's no more difficult than any other system.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
BNM449
BNM449 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I think the term "sophisticated" applies generally to to the Astra.

There are a lot of very cool features stuffed into that handsome little package.

And yes, a few missing -- but you have to remember the mindset of Europe, where a vehicle is not regarded as an entertainment platform on wheels.
Driving IS the entertainment!

~N~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BNM449's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BNM449 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BNM449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
nathan06a
nathan06a is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
If you really sit back and think about it the Astra has 4 cup holders...one in the center, two in the rear, and one in the glove box (okay I give you that this one is an odd place for a cup holder).
don't forget about the water bottle holders in the 2 front doors :] i always use mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nathan06a's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nathan06a reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nathan06a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
jon_e_quest
jon_e_quest is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Really the time that we Americans waste discussing silly issues like how many cup holders, or the armrest issue in the Astra is really funny to watch. I have owed my Astra for about a month and really it is the best handling car by far that I have owned!

The cup holder doesn't bother me in the least...really it's a car not a coffee bar! If you really sit back and think about it the Astra has 4 cup holders...one in the center, two in the rear, and one in the glove box (okay I give you that this one is an odd place for a cup holder). The driver is the only one who needs to have a cup holder that is accessible...that is the center console one.

As far as the armrest...that is a personal opinion...but it seems to be more in the way than a convenience (from what I have heard, I don't personally have one).

The fact is the car is really fun to drive.

Actually, there are two more cup holder shapes (soda can sized) in the forward portion of the floor level pockets at either end of the rear seat making for a total of six!

And two different aftermarket arm rests are available for those who need one.

Sold:
2008 Astra XR3
2009 Aura XR6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jon_e_quest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jon_e_quest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jon_e_quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
regfootball
regfootball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_e_quest View Post
Actually, there are two more cup holder shapes (soda can sized) in the forward portion of the floor level pockets at either end of the rear seat making for a total of six!

And two different aftermarket arm rests are available for those who need one.
www.ultimatecupholders.com appears to have some options for those wanting more!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to regfootball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help regfootball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
regfootball is offline   Reply With Quote