SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Possibly purchasing an 06 V6 Vue

So after 92K on the original transmission, the 03 Vue is at the dealer waiting on my decision. (Don't tell me I shouldn't have bought the 03, I've heard it enough already, and I feel stupid as it is for buying the damn thing)

My options:
1. Get the trans replaced at a cost of approx 1200. Saturn generously offered to pay 75% of the cost of replacement but then I'd need to pay for a rental car, etc. Plus who knows how long the new trans would last. I seriously doubt I'd get another 92k out of it.

2. Sell the Vue back to them, as is, for around 3000. I'd be upside down on the loan, and be out a vehicle...

3. The dealer offered to pay the remainder of my loan if we buy a car from them.

We're leaning towards number 3. The wife primarily drives the Vue, and despite this issue, she wants another one. The only vehicle we've test driven in this scenario is an 06 Vue V6 with 44k. The dealer is asking 12,995 and being a Saturn dealer it's pretty much guaranteed to be that price.

What are your thoughts? The 06 seemed a lot nicer than the 03, the V6 power, ABS and the fog lights really made for a nice drive in the slushy WI weather last week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Possibly purchasing an 06 V6 Vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLord View Post
So after 92K on the original transmission, the 03 Vue is at the dealer waiting on my decision. (Don't tell me I shouldn't have bought the 03, I've heard it enough already, and I feel stupid as it is for buying the damn thing)

My options:
1. Get the trans replaced at a cost of approx 1200. Saturn generously offered to pay 75% of the cost of replacement but then I'd need to pay for a rental car, etc. Plus who knows how long the new trans would last. I seriously doubt I'd get another 92k out of it.

2. Sell the Vue back to them, as is, for around 3000. I'd be upside down on the loan, and be out a vehicle...

3. The dealer offered to pay the remainder of my loan if we buy a car from them.

We're leaning towards number 3. The wife primarily drives the Vue, and despite this issue, she wants another one. The only vehicle we've test driven in this scenario is an 06 Vue V6 with 44k. The dealer is asking 12,995 and being a Saturn dealer it's pretty much guaranteed to be that price.

What are your thoughts? The 06 seemed a lot nicer than the 03, the V6 power, ABS and the fog lights really made for a nice drive in the slushy WI weather last week.
I work as a sales consultant for a Saturn dealership. I've seen a lot of these same scenarios, ad nauseum. If it were me and it's not, just my advice, go for the '06. 2006 and 2007, in my opinion were the two best years for the old gen Vue. It's quieter, and of course the V6 has the Honda 3.5L with the Honda 5 speed automatic tranny.

"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didnít have any, chances are you wonít have any either."- Jackie Mason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanm326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanm326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Does that price seem fair to you? We're working on keeping the payment 200 or less, I know it sounds like I'm a cheap @$$ but this happened at the worst possible time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
eugenem
eugenem is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

LotusLord,

How is the 06 VUE V6 equipped? Is it FWD or AWD?

FWIW, my wife currently drives a 06 VUE AWD V6. It has about 23,000 miles on it and we have not had any significant issues with it. Even though the OEM Bridgestones still had tread on them, we replaced them prior to the start of winter. At 44,000 miles, the 06 VUE you are looking at may need new tires.

Our other issues were:
1) Cracked polymer panel on rear driver's side door. Saturn replaced and repainted under warranty.
2) Sunroof occasionally sticks and will not tilt up.
3) Brakes were pulsating during the summer. A local mechanic inspected it and found everything to be operating normally. The pulsating hasn't happened since.
4) The area on the polymer panel in front of the rear tires has been sandblasted. I haven't bothered addressing this with the dealer, though I'm told 3M or any other clear bra material may help.

We've been pleased with the VUE. The Honda drivetrain is nice and the polymer panels have come in handy in tight parking lots where you can't control who you park next to (i.e. parked far away from everyone else).

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eugenem's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eugenem reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eugenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

LotusLord ... I checked Auto Trader prices for a few 2006 V-6 Vue's in eastern Iowa. Prices range from 15,000 to 17,000 for mileage in 35,000 to 45,000 range. These prices are about 2K higher than what I expected but the small SUV - good mileage market forces are alive and well.

Not sure what options your proposed vehicle has and the tires are either very worn or relatively new. I'd also insist on at least 60 days of 100% bumper-to-bumper warranty at minimum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

It's front wheel drive. Has a sun roof. Tires seemed pretty good to me (the roads were terrible when we test drove it and it handled much better than the 03) Since it's Certified it has 12 month, 12k miles bumper to bumper and the remaining 5yr 100k power train warranty. Most of the other vehicles we're looking at have similar warranties (looking at a few 07 Auras, another 06 Vue and an Impala at the moment)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
chitown616
chitown616 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Lotus Lord,

I was in your same boat about 2 years ago. Traded in my 03 VTI vue after 3 transmission replacements, for a new 06 3.5L Vue.

I love the new Vue, quite a upgrade in interior, and the Honda powertrain is wonderful. I drive from coast to coast alot, and the gas mileage is hard to beat in any other V6 suv.

That being said however, right now you can find about any type of used vehicle out there for a great deal. Even newer cars/trucks are on lots for pretty cheap.

If you like what your 03 Vue does for you then go for the 06. But if you need 4x4 or want something different, dont be afraid to look around, you can find a smokin deal on pretty much anything you want!!

I know I was hesitant to offload my VTI vue to anyone but the dealer too.

Good luck!!!

-Black TYC Taillights
-Leather Shift Knob
-Neoprene Covers
-Previous car-
03' 2.2L Vue "ole Blue",

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chitown616's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chitown616 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chitown616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
eugenem
eugenem is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Does the dealer have service records for the VUE? I would also confirm that the vehicle has not been involved in an accident.

In the NY/NJ area, Saturn dealerships are selling certified 06 VUE AWD V6's with 30-40,000 miles for about $17-19K. I haven't seen many FWD V6 models, but would expect the price to be less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eugenem's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eugenem reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eugenem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

I'll be sure to check on the service records.

Anyone think they'll be more inclined to give me a better price based on the fact that my parents and in laws bought their cars (06 Ion and 08 Vue respectively) at this dealership because of my experiences with my SL1 and Vue?

Last edited by LotusLord; 12-29-2008 at 01:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLord View Post
Does that price seem fair to you? We're working on keeping the payment 200 or less, I know it sounds like I'm a cheap @$$ but this happened at the worst possible time.

I think it's a very fair price!

"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didnít have any, chances are you wonít have any either."- Jackie Mason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanm326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanm326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

they don't replace the tranny with another vti do they?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YourMainParadox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Yes, they do. Or I think they could put a manual in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

The dealer had told me when I was looking at one that was an auto that they replaced the vti with the 4 speed auto when they replaced it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YourMainParadox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

The dealer, and others here have told me that they have to replace it with a VTI transmission

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

I was also in the same boat as you as few years ago. I ended up trading my 04 VTi Vue on an 06 V6 FWD and have been very happy. I have more power, the gas mileage is within 5 miles of the VTi and I now have peace of mind. I got my payment to right around $200 a month so I am happy. I wish you success.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #16
LotusLord

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks Mike C. I'm working on the same thing, I just called my dealer to try to verify they would be installing a new VTI or a standard auto if they replaced the trans. Waiting on a call back for confirmation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Saturn should deal with you on a used car. They probably bought the one you're looking at on auction for about $9,000.

Make them an offer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
jwpaton
jwpaton is on a distinguished road

Lotus Lord,

My wife and I bought an '06 Vue in October (in South Jersey) and love it. We test drove an '05 and '06 and the '06 won hands down. I was even able to talk Saturn down from $16500 to $15000. I went in with at least 12 other Vues and their features and prices as a comparisson. I didn't really feel like driving to any of those dealerships but I would if they hadn't worked with me. Our Vue only had 25000 on it when we bought it and it has heated seats, tow package, sun roof, and splash guards. We didn't want all that but with a used car, we took what we got.

Good Luck!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jwpaton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jwpaton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jwpaton is offline   Reply With Quote