SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 12-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
kssbss
kssbss is on a distinguished road

Default saturn L300 trouble codes P0700 & P0727

I pulled these codes with my scanner P0700 & P0727 If anyone has any info on these codes it would be appreciated symtoms are trans will slam when shifting and illuminate light on dash and intermittent no start

Last edited by kssbss; 12-27-2008 at 03:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kssbss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kssbss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kssbss is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: saturn L300 trouble codes P0700 & P0727

DTC P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

DTC P0727 Engine Speed Circuit No Signal

From our How-to library on page 5 titled OBD II Powertrain codes.

If you ignore the first error code for the second one, you see that the speed circuit signal loss is the crank position sensor (CPS) failure, the intermittent no-start problem. Replace the cps, located next to the oil filter. Buy it from any store stocking it. No cps = no EFI system, a dead engine. An intermittent cps is worse than an outright cps failure because you'll never know when it will fail as you're driving along one moment and suddenly the engine dies. Dying at random doesn't give you a sense of vehicle reliability, leaving you stranded at the most inconvenient moment.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
jason25
jason25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
DTC P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

DTC P0727 Engine Speed Circuit No Signal

From our How-to library on page 5 titled OBD II Powertrain codes.

If you ignore the first error code for the second one, you see that the speed circuit signal loss is the crank position sensor (CPS) failure, the intermittent no-start problem. Replace the cps, located next to the oil filter. Buy it from any store stocking it. No cps = no EFI system, a dead engine. An intermittent cps is worse than an outright cps failure because you'll never know when it will fail as you're driving along one moment and suddenly the engine dies. Dying at random doesn't give you a sense of vehicle reliability, leaving you stranded at the most inconvenient moment.
I too had both of these codes along with P1810 and P0128 which I would appreciate knowing. My car doesn't have the slam while shifting as the OP but it does have the intermittent no-start. I would start fine in the morning and would stall only when I was stopped...until today when it stalled about 3 miles from home and I didn't have my cell phone on me. If I let it sit for a short period it wouldn't start, but if I let it sit for 45-60 minutes, it starts everytime. I was thinking it was the fuel filter, but I am a no mechanic. A fuel filter is cheaper than the CPS so I will try that first. Even if that isn't the culprit, it should probably be replaced anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jason25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jason25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason25 View Post
I too had both of these codes along with P1810 and P0128 which I would appreciate knowing. My car doesn't have the slam while shifting as the OP but it does have the intermittent no-start. I would start fine in the morning and would stall only when I was stopped...until today when it stalled about 3 miles from home and I didn't have my cell phone on me. If I let it sit for a short period it wouldn't start, but if I let it sit for 45-60 minutes, it starts everytime. I was thinking it was the fuel filter, but I am a no mechanic. A fuel filter is cheaper than the CPS so I will try that first. Even if that isn't the culprit, it should probably be replaced anyway.
Replace the crank position sensor. The bolded text is the giveaway to an intermittent cps failure. It will occur at random and eventually fail altogether where you'll be able to sit all day and crank to your hearts content but the engine will never fire up anymore, possibly stranding you in the most inconvenient place. Search the threads about failing cps'. The cps acting intermittently may be causing the other issues as they're not crucial to EFI operation; if the cps dies at any time there won't be any fuel pump running, no ignition for spark, and no injector pulses, a dead engine. Replace the cps and then reset the codes.

DTC P0128 Coolant Thermostat - If your temperature gauge needle is below the 1/4 mark, repalce the thermostat.

The PO1810 code is a trans code. The Automatic Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position switch (TFP Val. Position Sw.) consists of five normally open switches. Ignition voltage is applied to each of the switches. By grounding one or more of these switches with fluid pressure from the manual valve, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) can detect which gear range is selected.

If the PCM detects an invalid combination of the TFP Val. Position Sw., then DTC P1810 sets. DTC P1810 is a Type B DTC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
jason25

thanks, replaced the cps this evening. I am going to drive it around tomorrow and see what happens. How do I reset the codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jason25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and the codes will reset.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
jason25

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes and the codes will reset.
Wow, that's it? Thanks, easy enough. Reseting the oil light is harder then that was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
quickskill
quickskill is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I just wanted to throw in my two cents since I appear to have had the exact same problem as jason25.

Started with intermittent starting problems. I typically only had issues shortly after I turned off the car after the engine had drive a significant distance/heated up, ie. running into a grocery store on the way home for work. Once it sat for an hour or two at home, it would start fine again.

In a week's time, it failed to start one morning. Thankfully I got it started up about 10 min later, but this time with a check engine light, later determined to be the aforementioned P0700 and P0727 codes. The car shifted gears noticeably jerky, which I imagine is the 'slamming' mentioned by the original poster.

After that one day, the jerkiness disappeared and the car continued working intermittently as described earlier. The Check Engine light eventually disappeared a few days later. Unfortunately, the car failed entirely a day or two after that.

Luckily, the crankshaft position sensor I ordered online for $40 after shipping had come in. After sitting over the weekend and still failing to start, I replaced the CPS and it started right up. I did still have the Check Engine light and the jerkiness during shifting on the drive home. The next time I drove my car, the jerkiness had disappeared.

As a side note, I tried disconnecting the battery for 5-10 minutes to clear the Check Engine lights (as advised by fdryer), but that did not appear to work for me for whatever reason. I plan to just wait it out until it disappears and not worry about it assuming the jerkiness when shifting does not return.

Just wanted to share my similarities and slight differences in case future Google searchers stumble across this post looking for answers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quickskill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quickskill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quickskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
lschlenger
lschlenger is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: saturn L300 trouble codes P0700 & P0727

Just wanted to post a quick thanks to fdryer. Our 2003 L300 (6 cyl) threw these codes (P0700 and P0727) and had the intermittent non-starting issues a few months ago. We began to consider trading in the car and finding something else since we had just been through a $1500 exploratory research project by our local chevy dealer till he found the cause of the previous set of weird behavior (that time with the electical system). But I found this and a few other threads about P0700 and P0727 pointing to the CPS. I bought a CPS ($80) at a local auto parts place, had a local mechanic (who works on my buicks) install it for me ($90). The guy thought I was nuts installing a CPS if the codes were transmission related but I made clear I wanted to try this first before him going off and hunting out the issue. Lo and behold the issue had resolved itself with the new CPS.
So I am hereby confirming yet another case of these symptoms being the CPS at fault and thanking fdryer and everyone else who has contributed to these threads on here and the managers of this site & forum for making such useful information available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lschlenger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lschlenger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lschlenger is offline   Reply With Quote