SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default GM Sales Chief Sticks By Saturn,Promises Aggressive Incentives

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...4_FORTUNE5.htm

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

Last edited by DeMAN; 12-22-2008 at 05:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: GM Sales Chief Sticks By Saturn,Promises Aggressive Incentives

That's fine with me since I still am interested in the Aura as long as GM itself does not fold. I just wonder how much more "aggressive" than the current incentives they are willing to get.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

I certianly hope he's not just talking through his hat and there is a serious attempt to continue Saturn. If GM management would just get out of the 50's mindset of "were the biggest" and concentrate on updating and refining both themselves as well as the cars and divisions, Saturn could still play an important role in the company--as it did in the 1990's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
czechers
czechers is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Wow... the article states that there are still 2007s to be sold!!!

2008 Astra XR 3 Door
5 speed
Black Sapphire
Leather, 18's
Holding out for one of those cool Astra Aftermarket Stereos!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to czechers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help czechers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
czechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechers View Post
Wow... the article states that there are still 2007s to be sold!!!
If you look at GM's monthly sales data, you'll see sales of models (from just about every brand) that were discontinued one or even two model years ago. Some of them are just slow sellers, but I bet that some were demos that were in use for awhile by the dealer but never titled until sold as new much later.

I remember seeing 2003 L-series on the lot as 2005s were arriving. The window stickers had faded from the sun.

GM will probably stick with Saturn. It's too expensive to kill it, and it's not an autonomous company that can be sold.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #6
PontiacLvr
PontiacLvr is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

I think what we will see is saturn being corsa , mervia, astra ..and all other models will go away ..so sky , outlook & aura will all go away

not sure about vue yet ..with the new nox and the gms terrain coming wonder if they will kill it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PontiacLvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PontiacLvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PontiacLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
marsanramella
marsanramella is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 ION-2 Sedan

I am glad to hear that Saturn is not on the chopping block. The reason for the creation of the Saturn division was to design and sell cars that could overtake the imports (Saturn got its name from the 1960's NASA moon rocket designed and built to overtake the Russians in the race to the moon). GM/Saturn should go back to this original intent and root. This means introducing some novel technologies (remember the plastic panels) such as more hybrids, or other novel source of energy, wi-fi connectivity, wiper-less windshield cleaning - get it? In other words, aim for the stars!
Oh yes - GM/Saturn should put more resources into effective advertising just like they did back in the '90's. The Aura, a nice car, is just way too under-advertised. Buy more ad times during NFL games or for some major events.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marsanramella's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marsanramella reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marsanramella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Why is it that every time some GM big wig says Saturn isn't going anywhere...does a Saturn retailer go out and buy moving boxes, space in a storage building and reserves a rental truck?

You can't sell a backlog of stock if all your sales people call out sick to go job hunting....

I am reminded here of how they kept the fact that the Aura was going to be available with a conventional 4 cylinder on an upcoming model year...and at a lower price...until they moved most of the thousands of V6's sitting in railyards around the country.

Me thinks somebody's pants are on fire....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Incentives? Saturn? In the same sentence? For sure the Saturn way of doing business is dead in the water. They might as well close all the stores now instead of teasing all the Saturnfans with the promise of big incentives. Besides, once all the inventory is cleared out they're just going to close the stores regardless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #10
loyalsales
loyalsales is on a distinguished road

Does the general public really believe the sales chief. I guess this sales chief trumps Lutz and Wagoner. Give me a break. They are standing behind the brand til there is no product left. Do we, the public look that stupid. How can he say, "GM stands behind saturn", and then go to Congress with a restructuring plan that infers that Saturn is going away. How do you stand behind a brand, then put no dollars aside for future Saturn product. LaNeve should be put on the stand, in front of Congress.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to loyalsales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help loyalsales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
loyalsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #11
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

I don't like the sound of someone being "behind" Saturn, sounds like an unnatural position in which someone is taking it in the exhaust pipe... .

Just need to look at the fire-sale ads (Red Tag sale) running on TV to know GM is running scared - $7k off a Hummer, $6k off Saab convertible, etc. Too bad they're only knocking $3k off the Aura - which the only GM product I would consider for purchase.

Still, I'm waiting for the '10 Fords to make it to market... . If they're still in business, that is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
collator5
collator5 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I saw a article that said GM was considering selling Saturn to a Chiniese automaker. As a loyal owner of a 08 Aura and a 00 LS1 I would be enraged that GM would have ads asking us to Rethink American,then sell Saturn to China. As a vet and a union member I have always driven an American car and I sure would walk before I would drive a car made in or by China.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to collator5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help collator5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
collator5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

What a bunch of jerks! If it weren't for the impact this would have on the economy, and the poor workers stuck working for such a bunch of stupid arses (Jill, the Bobs, and all the other bozos running GM), I would say to hell with GM.

Look at how stupid they are! The management team can't even send a unified message! And we want this bunch to stay in business?

The only division that gets any interest from forward thinkers and import buyers...get tossed up as the sacrificial lamb. Now the sales chief starts freaking out about how many unsold vehicles there are...and nope, Saturn is staying...until a few of you suckers by them.

If you really you want to save Saturn...

1.Stop CRAPPING ON THEM IN PUBLIC, YOU STUPID BUNCH OF OVERPAID CHAIR WARMERS! Believe or not, some people right down what you say, and it gets reported to the poeple who buy your cars. They don't like this kind of talk.

2. Consider how long it took the Japanese brands to build thier images...you don't turn around a decade of neglect with one generation of decent cars. You follow up with better products 4 years down the road. And honestly, they are just decent. The SKY is the only real standout, and its really a car that was meant for Vauxhall, not Saturn. AURA...its good, but where's the 4 cylinder or the manual transmission? The HID lights? The XR version? Outlook, good, but why not build a version of that platform with sliding doors, and call it a minivan...it sure wouldn't be hard to do. Flexibility still sucks at GM. New VUE is hideous from behind, and really fat. At least its a good driver.

3. And where's the commitment to the brand? They have changed messages Every year since just before the original VUE debuted. You have to follow up, both in marketing and product.

4. Spin them off again. Give them the ability to buy and source chassis and construction from whomever they want.

5. Bring back the polymer. You know the demise of it was more about having Saturn use cars that shared steel body panels with other GM models more than it was about the supposed problems with the material.

6. Ditch the no dicker pricing. Times are tight, everyone wants a deal, percieved or real.

7. Go back to making entry level cars to go along with the more upscale products. Good ones. Not rebadged Daewoos, either. Astra is nice, but expensive for what you get. Just building that car here would help immensely with the pricing.

8. Fire all your executives. How can you NOT MAKE MONEY? Stop blaming the Japanese and the unions. Its your fault, you were at the helm. Oh, and Jill has got to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #14
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by collator5 View Post
I saw a article that said GM was considering selling Saturn to a Chiniese automaker. As a loyal owner of a 08 Aura and a 00 LS1 I would be enraged that GM would have ads asking us to Rethink American,then sell Saturn to China. As a vet and a union member I have always driven an American car and I sure would walk before I would drive a car made in or by China.

Yep, I couldn't agree more. Seems to me, the real problem is the management at GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by collator5 View Post
You will be walking if you have to go get a replacement part for your Saturn now.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote