SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Jill Lajdziak: Saturn "Examining Various Alternatives" and Exploring "New Business Mo

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Jill Lajdziak: Saturn "Examining Various Alternatives" and Exploring "New Business Models"

Quote:
Jill Lajdziak at ImSaturn: Over the past several weeks, I'm sure many of you have seen the continued speculation in the media about the future of Saturn. As I mentioned in a earlier post, we are examining various alternatives for Saturn including potential new business models for the brand.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Joep76
Joep76 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.4L
2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Jill Lajdziak: Saturn "Examining Various Alternatives" and Exploring "New Busines

What they fail to tell you is. The NEW business model is.... Sell all the current inventory as fast as you can. And then they can shut it down.

Of course they will say they are open for business. They want to sell sell sell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joep76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joep76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joep76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
loyalsales
loyalsales is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Jill Lajdziak: Saturn "Examining Various Alternatives" and Exploring "New Busines

Even if they were to change business model and bring more Opels over. When would they be ready to go, 2011, can the saturn retailers make it to then. All the cars would have to pass emissions into North America. Let's be real, this is a cover up, to keep things positive at the dealers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to loyalsales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help loyalsales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
loyalsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Joep76

2003 VUE 2.4L
2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

[QUOTE=loyalsales;1371077]Even if they were to change business model and bring more Opels over.QUOTE]

Saturn is has always been known as the low end model of GM selling cheap inexpensive Cars. Opel doesn't work for saturn. No one wants to pay the current prices for a SATURN. I don't even want to.

Opel designs are going to Buick. Opel work better for Buick. Buick has always been known as a upscale Brand. Peope will Pay for a Buick. Not Saturn.

Just got to face the facts. Since Saturn went upscale its sales have dropped. No one wants to a pay a premium price for a cheap damaged car brand.

Plus they don't need 2 mid premium brands. The developement costs they will save from Saturn and even Buick (since they will use Opel designs) will save them Billions. That extra savings can go toward better developenent and marketing of Chevy and Cadillac (the core brands).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Joep76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

I don't doubt that maintaining customer belief and confidence in the Saturn brand are a primary motivation but I suspect maintaining hope for the both the company and retailer work force is equally important. How do you ensure quality products and high levels of customer service if your best workers decide that you provide them no future? I certainly can't criticize anyone for being cynical after watching the deterioration of the economic and political leadership of this country over the past decade or so but I also can't criticize someone in a leadership position for trying to remain positive when her or his own economic livelihood is on the line. As realistic as I try to be about outcomes, I would prefer that when I am being threatened by something, I am teamed up with fighters rather than quitters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I think everyone needs to remember that Jill has been with Saturn since 1986. I don't think she would blatantly "Cover Up" something that she would know about the future of Saturn.
That wouldn't make for very good business practice, especially for someone who has been with the company from the beginning.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
FGCA_XRL
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

No... that's exactly what she would do. She's an executive, and when the bosses above her tell her "you're being closed but we want to do this a smoothly as possible", she wouldn't come right out and say it. Business people like that aren't that forthcoming, and it would be career suicide for her to do something like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:47 AM   #8
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGCA_XRL View Post
No... that's exactly what she would do. She's an executive, and when the bosses above her tell her "you're being closed but we want to do this a smoothly as possible", she wouldn't come right out and say it. Business people like that aren't that forthcoming, and it would be career suicide for her to do something like that.
Indeed, that's SOP. In the words of the immortal Roger Waters...

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:18 AM   #9
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
I think everyone needs to remember that Jill has been with Saturn since 1986. I don't think she would blatantly "Cover Up" something that she would know about the future of Saturn.
That wouldn't make for very good business practice, especially for someone who has been with the company from the beginning.
LOL. You're new to the corporate world, I see. She'll do what she's told.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:47 AM   #10
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Indeed, that's SOP. In the words of the immortal Roger Waters...

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.
Ahh...Animals...one of my favorite albums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:09 AM   #11
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Jill is not calling the shots. So I can see her boss telling what she can say. The real question is what is she not able to tell us. As far as exploring a new business model, I think the one Saturn currently has is a new business model compared to the original one of Saturn. It was a business model that did not work in the current economy. I know for myself that last time I walked into a showroom it felt like I was in a foreign country. But I am always going to buy the most fuel efficient vehicle I can afford. I just don't see changing a business model doing very much unless it is truly visionary.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joep76 View Post
What they fail to tell you is. The NEW business model is.... Sell all the current inventory as fast as you can. And then they can shut it down.
Of course they will say they are open for business. They want to sell sell sell.
That makes perfect sense. Would GM tell the public that Saturn is being closed, no more production, and GM is trying to terminate franchise agreements? Of course not, as every franchisee would be sitting with millions of $ of unsellable product. By telling us that big incentives are on the horizon and a new business plan is in the works, they are gently saying that liquidation of franchisee stock and termination of every Saturn franchise means goodbye to Saturn. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to read between the lines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
Joep76

2003 VUE 2.4L
2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
That makes perfect sense. Would GM tell the public that Saturn is being closed, no more production, and GM is trying to terminate franchise agreements? Of course not, as every franchisee would be sitting with millions of $ of unsellable product. By telling us that big incentives are on the horizon and a new business plan is in the works, they are gently saying that liquidation of franchisee stock and termination of every Saturn franchise means goodbye to Saturn. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to read between the lines.
Thank you. I agree 100%. Finally there is some else here that isn't brainwashed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Happy Re: Jill Lajdziak: Saturn "Examining Various Alternatives" and Exploring "New Busines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joep76 View Post
Thank you. I agree 100%. Finally there is some else here that isn't brainwashed.
I don't think its about whether or not you're brainwashed... Jill hasn't lied to us yet, why start now? When Mr. LaNeve (Jill's boss) pledged GM's support for Saturn earlier this week, you didn't see him doing the same for Saab or Hummer. They are still trying to sell cars, but both of those brands will be sold off by the end of 1Q09. Since the restructuring announcement, GM has been talking about exploring alternatives with Saturn. I think they're telling the truth about developing a new business model for Saturn, since the move to larger and more expensive vehicles seemed to go unnoticed by the general public. The retailers will play an important part in their decision. Perhaps they'll do something like this:

http://www.saturnfans.com/company/re...-lease-life-gm

I choose to see the glass half full until we have a reason to believe otherwise...

Merry Christmas!!

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
By telling us that big incentives are on the horizon and a new business plan is in the works, they are gently saying that liquidation of franchisee stock and termination of every Saturn franchise means goodbye to Saturn. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to read between the lines.
Not so fast... LaNeve's comment about the huge incentives to clear out inventory wasn't directed towards Saturn. The broadcast was to all GM dealers. He also discussed the future of Hummer and Saab, along with GMAC.

What's with all the doom and gloom from you guys?

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2008, 10:06 PM   #16
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

That article was interesting Charlie. I know I went to Saturn to buy a used Civic or Corolla and ended up with my S-Car. So, if they survive and change directions, I would once again be interested. It is not that I do not like Saturn, my problem is they do not offer what I need. My needs have not changed, their products have.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Charlie
I base the doom and gloom on the fact that Saturn franchises were already being shuttered in record numbers BEFORE the recent automotive predicament.
It can only get worse for Saturn, not better. The Saturn ship is taking on water too quickly. GM can't pump the water out fast enough. Abandon ship!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:24 PM   #18
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

Charlie
Some have accused me of being like this guy! Ah well, I consider myself a realist.

But it is the season to be jolly, after all. Merry Christmas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eeyore.jpg (30.3 KB, 2 views)

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #19
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Happy Re: Jill Lajdziak: Saturn "Examining Various Alternatives" and Exploring "New Busines

Quote:
I base the doom and gloom on the fact that Saturn franchises were already being shuttered in record numbers BEFORE the recent automotive predicament.
It can only get worse for Saturn, not better. The Saturn ship is taking on water too quickly. GM can't pump the water out fast enough. Abandon ship!
The economy has been bad for awhile, and Saturn stores aren't the only ones that have been shuttering. Saying things like "it can only get worse," "GM can't pump the water out fast enough," and "abandon ship" are only spreading the sensationalist propaganda that I was calling "doom and gloom" in my last post. Those comments are your opinion, not facts. The reports and rumors surrounding Saturn's fate since the FOT meeting and President Bush granting GM an emergency loan have been positive. Sure, there's lots of work for both GM and Saturn to do, but they are working on it -- and it is something that can be done.

Saturn has spent most of its life proving critics wrong... I believe they'll do it again this time too!

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #20
Charlie
Administrator

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Some have accused me of being like this guy! Ah well, I consider myself a realist.

But it is the season to be jolly, after all. Merry Christmas!
LOL -- I guess I'm an optimist then. In the late 1980s the critics said Saturn wouldn't get off the ground... let alone last 10 years. Saturn's now approaching 20, and with GM's backing I think they'll be around for many more years to come. Their current lineup is the best they've ever offered -- and if Saturn had the advertising budget to necessary to adequately launch and position five all-new vehicles in such a short amount of time, I don't think we'd be having this conversation right now.

BTW, I hope you had a nice Christmas too!

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!