SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
willieblaze
willieblaze is on a distinguished road

Default How to Remove intake manifold 03 vue v6

anyone know how to remove intake manifold off a v6 2003 saturn vue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to willieblaze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help willieblaze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
willieblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
willieblaze
willieblaze is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How to Remove intake manifold 03 vue v6

any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to willieblaze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help willieblaze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
willieblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
gmsuv
gmsuv will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 3.6L

Document ID# 1227555
2003 Saturn VUE - FWD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intake Manifold Replacement
Tools Required
J 37088-A Fuel Line Disconnect Set
J 44095 Fuel Pressure Adapter Fitting
SA9127E Gage Bar Set
Removal Procedure

Caution
Do not allow smoking or the use of open flames in the area where work on the fuel or EVAP system is taking place. Anytime work is being done on the fuel system, disconnect the negative battery cable, except for those tests where battery voltage is required.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Loosen the clamp at the air cleaner assembly and throttle body assembly.
Remove the attachment bolts from the outlet resonator/duct assembly to support bracket.
Remove the outlet resonator/duct assembly.

Remove the resonator outlet duct assembly bracket from the manifold.

Caution
Whenever fuel line fittings are loosened or disconnected, wrap a shop cloth around the fitting to collect fuel. Place the cloth in an approved container.

Relieve the fuel system pressure. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Procedure .
Disconnect SA9127E , or equivalent and J 44095 , or equivalent, after the pressure has been relieved.
Disconnect the fuel transfer line at the quick connect from the fuel line using J 37088-A , or equivalent blue tool.

Disconnect the electrical harness attachment from the manifold and position harness away from the manifold.

Disconnect the attachment of the purge solenoid and line from the rear of manifold.
Disconnect the brake booster line from the intake manifold.
Disconnect the fuel injector and intake manifold control solenoid connectors.

Remove the PCV fresh air hose at throttle body.
Remove the throttle body bolts from the throttle body.
Remove the throttle body cooling hose bracket bolts.
With the coolant lines connected to throttle body, lay the throttle body assembly over the mast cylinder.

Important
To remove the 5 upper manifold bolts, use a 1/4 inch drive T-30 TORX and long 1/4 inch drive extension.

Remove the upper manifold to spacer plate bolts.

Remove the lower intake manifold bolt near the throttle body.
Remove the intake manifold assembly.

Remove the lower intake manifold spacer plate bolts.

Remove the intake spacer plate.
Seals are re-usable if not damaged. If O-ring seals re being replaced, remove seals from both sides.

The intake spacer plate has O-ring seals on both sides.
Clean the spacer plate bolt holes and bolts. Remove all thread locked material.

Last edited by gmsuv; 12-21-2008 at 12:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmsuv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmsuv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmsuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
spyderr911
spyderr911 is on a distinguished road

Can someone repost these photos?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spyderr911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spyderr911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spyderr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
nil5
nil5 will become famous soon enoughnil5 will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderr911 View Post
Can someone repost these photos?
ack no pictures, but are you running into any problemos amigo?

can be a daunting task. take your time and be careful with the parts you remove, e.g. bolts.

I recommend getting the GM fuel line disconnect tool and disconnecting the fuel line (send side), that way you can flop the whole intake manifold upside down over the right side of the engine bay.

Note that there are two fuel lines going to the engine from the tank: (1) send fuel from tank to fuel rail and (2) send excess fuel from fuel rail back to the tank.

the return side is easier to remove, the "send" side is harder.

anyway not to go off on a tangent or anything.

Also, remember that changing plugs, thermostat, valve cover gasket are things that should be done at the same time, lest you have to remove the intake manifold again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nil5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nil5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nil5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Gheuett
Gheuett is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Hi,

I'm in the midst of replacing my thermostat and spark plugs on my 03 Vue V6. I am working with a GM professional manual purchased from E-bay. This is a DVD lets you see only the Saturn documentation but I imagine it is similar to what many reference as the service manual.

I've removed the air cleaner and throttle body but even with the manual, it is unclear about the fuel line disconnect. Is the send the metal pipe on the backside of the manifold and the return the rubber tube that connects with what looks like a green quick connect? I've attached two images one from front to back of the engine and one of the green connector up close.

I have the disconnect tool but the drawings in my manual are so close up that they provide little perspective.

Plus I'm not sure about pressure release. I see their procedures but I have read that you can pull the fuel pump relay and turn the ignition to start and that will relieve the pressure.

I have other pictures and can take more if it would help.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Gib
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0293.jpg (34.8 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0295.jpg (31.2 KB, 250 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gheuett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gheuett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gheuett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheuett View Post
I have the disconnect tool but the drawings in my manual are so close up that they provide little perspective.
Do you have the plastic tool? I didn't go this route, but maybe some help here . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152313

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
nil5

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Hi,

I'm in the midst of replacing my thermostat and spark plugs on my 03 Vue V6. I am working with a GM professional manual purchased from E-bay. This is a DVD lets you see only the Saturn documentation but I imagine it is similar to what many reference as the service manual.

I've removed the air cleaner and throttle body but even with the manual, it is unclear about the fuel line disconnect. Is the send the metal pipe on the backside of the manifold and the return the rubber tube that connects with what looks like a green quick connect? I've attached two images one from front to back of the engine and one of the green connector up close.

Plus I'm not sure about pressure release. I see their procedures but I have read that you can pull the fuel pump relay and turn the ignition to start and that will relieve the pressure.

I have other pictures and can take more if it would help.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Gib
Okay you're in the right place. The one with the green connector is the return line. That one is easier to remove than the 'send' line.

The send line is visible (barely) (I think) in your second photo. It is the metal hard line in about the very middle of the photo, kind of in the background, below the return line in the photo. Take a better picture of that and I can better identify it for you, but you should be able to follow it to the fuel rail on the intake manifold (I know it will be hard to see under there).

You'll HAVE to use the special GM fuel line disconnect tool to get that sucker loose, and it will take a little smarts/grunt. You stick it down into the female end around the perimeter of the male end, it then compresses a spring that locks it in place, and allows you to pull it out. It's kind of strange because as you insert the tool, you are pressing everything together, then when you get it loosed, you can pull the male end out.

Yes, depressurize the system first. There is a Schrader valve on either the send or return side that you can depress with a screw driver to release the pressure.

When I did this, I used the factory manual that you have as well--what a piece of junk it is, but it mostly gets the job done...

Read up on the thermostat/plugs threads that are on this forum when you get to those jobs. There is a LOT of info that others and I have posted on here to help people who are doing this job. You'll get through it, just take your time and do it right. (And try not to break the coolant pipe mounting tab when you are installing the new thermostat, okay? )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nil5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nil5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Gheuett

2003 VUE 3.0L

Great stuff Chazberry and Nil5!

Glad to know I'm in the ballpark. I did see the metal send line with the valve cap on it so that must be the Shrader valve. I can go in tomorrow and relieve the pressure there and start digging deeper.

Those are great attached threads with excellent pics that will help once I closer to the spark plugs.

Hopefully I'll have some progress to report over the next few days - I'm definitely taking my time with this one though.

Thanks All!
Gib

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Gheuett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Gheuett

2003 VUE 3.0L

Been working on this connection for a while with no headway. I'm posting two pics - the connection by itself and the connection with my connect tool in place. I don't think the tool is getting in far enough to cause the spring to release. It is a tight fit going in and I'm not sure its going down the full length. I've tried working it down, tapping with a screwdriver but so far it's not budging. Would a little bit of penetrating oil spray help (PB blaster)? I didn't know if that would create problems with the fuel.

Thanks!
Gib
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0303.jpg (91.9 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0301.jpg (167.0 KB, 205 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Gheuett

2003 VUE 3.0L

I went back through the posts from last night, it looks like the metal one I have won't work. Off to try finding a plastic one....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

I find the key to using the disconnect tool is: Push the two fuel lines tightly together while inserting the release tool and after the release tool is fully inserted then pull apart. (the tangs dont compress very easily if under pull tension)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
Gheuett

2003 VUE 3.0L

I can get some movement as I push and pull the two hose sections together. I don't know if my first efforts with the tool screwed up the springs to the point that they will not give or what but this thing is just not coming apart - plastic tool, metal tool or whatever.

I think I'm going to work around it and try to pull it off once I loosen the manifold and see where the metal hose actually connects there. I believe I saw where others had done it that way.

Thanks,
Gib

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #14
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I think I'm going to work around it and try to pull it off once I loosen the manifold and see where the metal hose actually connects there. I believe I saw where others had done it that way.
This a pic of where I disconnected the fuel lines . . .
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...2&d=1254078129

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Gheuett

2003 VUE 3.0L

I remember seeing this picture from last night's posts. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
nil5

2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
I went back through the posts from last night, it looks like the metal one I have won't work. Off to try finding a plastic one....
This was my exact experience--and it worked in the end. Believe me, there was a lot of swearing and hurting hands by the time I got the line disconnected.

The metal tool absolutely did not fit for me. And I even went to the trouble of trying to file it down so that it would fit, but no. Ended up exchanging it for the plastic one that worked. Got it at Autozone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nil5's Reputation
Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
Gheuett

2003 VUE 3.0L

To quote Ralphie from a Christmas Story - "In the heat of battle, my father wove a tapestry of obscenity that as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan." Or in my case - Snellville Georgia. This has been the struggle of man vs. an insanely designed machine.

At this point I have the new thermostat in and thanks to the many who have assisted here, the extension tube did not break. I carefully tightened the thermostat bolts and the mounting bolt on the front of the engine all together rather than doing the thermostat first. I replaced the upper radiator hose and moved in on the lower. When I finally saw where it was connected on the engine, I closed up the patient for the day. My bruised hands and arms couldn't take anymore abuse. That extension pipe ended up a bit of struggle to finagle out. I think I was being very cautious not to use the mounting tab for leverage so that it would not break off. It finally loosened up after a fair number of twists holding the end.

If anyone has any great tips on removing that lower radiator hose. I'm open. The engine connection looks hard to reach without pulling out a good bit of stuff.

Tomorrow, hopefully we'll finish by pulling the cam covers, replacing those gaskets and the spark plugs and then begin the reassembly.

We'll report back and thanks again everyone,
Gib

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #18
Gheuett

2003 VUE 3.0L

Looks like the thermostat and spark plug replacement were a success. Everything is back together and the Vue is running smooth. I'm looking forward to the check engine light disappearing as the new thermostat will hopefully do its job and this beast will pass its emission check.

When I pulled the cam covers and spark plug connectors there was quite a lot of oil down in the spark plug wells. One was really swimming. I used a bulb syringe to get most out then towels for the rest. It turns out that many of the cam cover bolts were loose enough to turn by hand so I'm sure that is where the oil flow came from.

Piecing it all together was definitely easier than pulling apart.

Again - many thanks for all the help. The timing belt and water pump are next but I'll chill a little before taking that project.

Thanks!
Gib

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Looks like the thermostat and spark plug replacement were a success.
DIY savings: >$500
The sweet taste of victory: Priceless!

(And no leftover parts?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
nil5

2002 VUE 3.0L

Bravo on a job well done!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nil5's Reputation