SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Those familiar with Stabilitrak

Hey guys, we were hit with a huge snowstorm today, a whiteout type of storm that is. Anyways long story short, I was snowed in because I live off a major road and the stupid city plows literally snowed me in. So I rocked the Vue back and forth via "D" and "R" to no success, but what I found awkward, is when the stabilitrak icon appeared, it felt like a snapping or creaking sound came from under the car. Is this how it's supposed to sound, or was I on the verge of breaking my new Vue? It just seemed weird. As well, when actually driving today, the ABS felt very rough. Not the most pleasant feeling thing either.

Any thoughts on that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
MrHorspwer
MrHorspwer is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Those familiar with Stabilitrak

You likely didn't do anything to hurt it. Stabilitrak uses the ABS to apply brakes individually in an attempt to control wheels spin (traction control) and vehicle direction (stability control). You were probably just hearing your EBCM (ABS module) cycling the solenoids. Remember, when ABS is doing its function, you're creating the hydraulic pressure via the master cylinder. If Stabilitrak wants to apply a brake, it needs to spin up the ABS motor to create hydraulic pressure. This can create some pretty interesting noises as it begins to cycle.

Next time you get stuck, turn off Stabilitrak. Getting unstuck requires wheel spin. One of Stabilitrak's functions is to prevent that. You're basically fighting against the vehicle to get unstuck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrHorspwer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrHorspwer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrHorspwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you for taking the DUMP for us in NYC!? We watched the Weatherbug radar throughout the day to see when the DUMP would drop snow on us but when I left JFK airport in mid afternoon today the big flakes turned to ice pellets, making for slushy driving. Its clear now and streets are completely cleaned, for the weekend snow dump predicted. I had my first winter opportunity to try out ABS again to test them in this slushy/icy condition and as usual they worked with the all too familiar 'foot massage' - the very fast multiple opening and closing of individual brake valves within the ABS unit to effectively unlock the locked tire that's skidding. This year it didn't take much speed to activate ABS as I was leery of the first winter snows and relearning winter driving. I wanted to speed as usual but was quickly reminded at each braking opportunity how easily ABS activates, warning me that I'm still driving a bit faster than road conditions allows so my normal drive home took double the time with everyone else doing the same. ABS will immediately remind you of its activation by the 'foot massage' as one way to warn you of excessive speeding for the tires unable to maintain complete traction control. Any tire that locks up immediately, even when I went below 20mph braking hard, activates ABS to release the brake-locked wheel while the other wheels are slowing down. As soon as the brake-locked wheel is released and speeds up to the rest of the wheels, ABS immediately closes and applies braking to this wheel. Effectively controlling all four wheel brakes is under control by ABS and not you or me so the foot massage is notifying us that its doing its best to slow the car down and allow us steering control. I try my brakes most often during snow conditions for the icy sliding effect snow gives to force ABS activation - to relearn when loss of traction control events occur, most often sooner than I anticipated. All well and good for me so I know what my tire limits are and can have a better idea of my tires abilities to handle snow conditions. As we all know, snow conditions can have many different ways to affect each car at any speed since we all drive differently and have every tire imaginable from pure bald racing to dedicated snows with some true die-hards running studded tires. So each vehicle will have different traction control that each driver needs to accept to optimize driving safely. I don't have Stabilitrak but can imagine what its doing in your rocking back and forth scenario as I'm guessing that its being enabled at the wrong time. If there's a button to disable it, which I doubt, do so while performing something not remotely related to activating Stabilitrak.

I'm guessing your Stabilitrak is being enabled due to the combination of wheel spin and rocking that translates to Stabilitraks sensors detecting the off angle movements while only rocking the car. I think the technical terms are the yaw (and possibly pitch) sensor detects the slightest left/right (and pitching) movement against the spinning wheel or wheel spin just from your attempts to move the car similar to a dangerous steering jerk at high speed. If Stabilitrak is enabled, you may be feeling the same ABS foot massage but if your foot isn't on the brake pedal (as in a typical Stabilitrak activation mode) you're still feeling the ABS unit being activated to slow the spinning wheel that you're trying to spin to get out of the rut you're buried in!? Go figure. Just supposition on my part and welcome any correction by anyone more knowledgeable on the intricacies of Stabilitrak and possibly one of its unforeseen weaknesses in certain situations. In this case, not a weakness but annoyance, interfering with your desire to get out of the buried snow grave your municipal employees put your car into.

Last edited by fdryer; 12-19-2008 at 10:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #4
GMmon
GMmon is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

The Stabiltrak is mainly for controlling skids while moving. Traction Control(TC) is for controlling wheel spin while accelerating. Turning OFF the TC is the ONLY way to spin the wheels enough to get through a snow pile,burn your way up a SLICK hill type situation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMmon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMmon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
MrHorspwer
MrHorspwer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If there's a button to disable it, which I doubt, do so while performing something not remotely related to activating Stabilitrak.
Quote:
Turning OFF the TC is the ONLY way to spin the wheels enough to get through a snow pile,burn your way up a SLICK hill type situation.
The Stabilitrak button is located on the I/P center stack, next to the hazard lamp switch.

Pressing the button will disable both traction control and stability control. Stabilitrak bundles the two systems together and they cannot be disabled independently of one another.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrHorspwer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrHorspwer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrHorspwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
ZX3Junglist
ZX3Junglist is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Acutally,

to disable the traction control, you press this button. You'll see one light in your IP. To turn off both traction control and stability control, you need to hold it for 3 seconds. You'll see both lights in your IP.

-ZX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ZX3Junglist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ZX3Junglist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ZX3Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #7
asrawlings@mchs
asrawlings@mchs is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX3Junglist View Post
Acutally,

to disable the traction control, you press this button. You'll see one light in your IP. To turn off both traction control and stability control, you need to hold it for 3 seconds. You'll see both lights in your IP.

-ZX
I will try this tonight when I head out. KUDOS to this forum - I had no clue this was an option. I often turn off my traction control in town so I can move through intersections faster in the snow and ice. It will be interesting to see how the car handles with both fuctions disabled.

2008 Vue XE 3.5L AWD V6 (Gold Package)
2006 Vue 2.2L FWD {Traded w/17,000 Miles}
2004 Ion Quad Coupe II (Special Edition) {Traded w/24,000 Miles}
2002 SC1 Coupe {Traded w/35,000 Miles}

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to asrawlings@mchs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help asrawlings@mchs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
asrawlings@mchs is offline   Reply With Quote