SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default GM Upgrade Kit Gives Sky Red Line Even More Boost

A new feeditems entry has been added:

GM Upgrade Kit Gives Sky Red Line Even More Boost

Quote:
Saturn spokesman Mike Morrissey announced on his blog over at ImSaturn earlier today that General Motors has created an upgrade kit for the 2.0L turbocharged powerplant found in the Sky Red Line. Once installed, the $650 kit will put an additional 30 horsepower under the hood of the roadster.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
AHillsSaturnFan
AHillsSaturnFan is on a distinguished road

Default Re: GM Upgrade Kit Gives Sky Red Line Even More Boost

If they put the 2.0DI Turbo in the Astra and had this option, we would really be talking. Even in the Aura! They could get rid of the V6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AHillsSaturnFan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AHillsSaturnFan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AHillsSaturnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Good thing my bday is always right after the income tax refund check hits my mailbox. That might be something I'd be interested in. Although I'd like to know a bit more first. I've already got 3 friends that have asked me to go up to Milan (a dragstrip/speedway in se michigan) with them to race come summer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoEngineer View Post
Good thing my bday is always right after the income tax refund check hits my mailbox. That might be something I'd be interested in. Although I'd like to know a bit more first. I've already got 3 friends that have asked me to go up to Milan (a dragstrip/speedway in se michigan) with them to race come summer.
Know what? It's just a kit that includes everything needed to upgrade the MAP sensors along with a new calibration to the ECM. If you have a manual you will also be able to perform the no lift shift as on the Cobalt SS turbo cars with the calibration.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
07Redline
07Redline is on a distinguished road

I ordered min last Monday and am still waiting on my dealership to get the remaining pieces. Hopefully it will all be here tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 07Redline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 07Redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
07Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: GM Upgrade Kit Gives Sky Red Line Even More Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Redline View Post
I ordered min last Monday and am still waiting on my dealership to get the remaining pieces. Hopefully it will all be here tomorrow.
Cool! Take pictures and document your install! I'd like to feature your story on the front page of SaturnFans if its OK with you.

Happy New Year!
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
07Redline

Thats cool with me. Just let me know any specifics you would like to know about the install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 07Redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
02OrangeSC2
02OrangeSC2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line
Checkered Flag Re: GM Upgrade Kit Gives Sky Red Line Even More Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
A new feeditems entry has been added:

GM Upgrade Kit Gives Sky Red Line Even More Boost
Too bad I have to wait till I pull mine out of storage in April. I'll definitly have the kit ready and waiting!

The most Saturn's in Erie County Ohio
96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
04 ION RL GM Stage 2 Electric Blue
07 SKY RL GM Stage Kit Silver Graphite
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02OrangeSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02OrangeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02OrangeSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Ordered mine today. It'll be interesting to see the result with my RPi GT exhaust. Since the tune removes the learn-down in the ECU I should be a nick over 300hp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
07Redline

Mine gets installed tomorrow morning 1/5. So we will see. I have the cold air intake and the 3"cat back so I should be over 300hp as well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #11
07Redline

I got the kit installed yesterday. I am not sure it is mapped properly because my check engine light is on. It was one when i left and they reset it ...it was the barometric pressure sensor...Not sure what that means but its still on. It spins straight through first and a good part of second and u notice the majority of power in the mid range. I will keep you posted to see if they figure out the engine light. The dealerships are not sure really how to install it. It took mine about 3-4 hrs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

They didn't complete the flash. What's going on is the new calibration is set up to compare the two new sensors to the baro and there is a disagreement and it will throw a P2227 since it thinks the baro is wrong. Normally, this would call for ECM replacment without the flash, but that's not going to fix anything unless they properly install the flash.

Take it back to the dealer and have them reflash the computer.

Here's a link on problems people have had with the tune installation: http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...roblems-28584/

This will help both you and the dealer get it done right. I'm taking mine in next Friday and hopefully it will be done right the first time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
07Redline

They just called me and let me know that it is ready to be picked up again. This time they said they created a monster and the car is SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to go get it. It did have to be re-flashed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

A cheap bump in power (11% over stock) is nice, but hardly a huge performance boost. I'll be curious to see what the aftermarket comes up with for goosing the boost on the 2.0L. In the VW/Audi world, folks are getting anywhere from 25-40% with ECU remaps of stock turbocharged engines to increase the boost levels without blowing engines. I believe folks are achieving similar results in the Subaru world.

A really nice hack would be forced induction on the 2.4L Sky. With suitable fueling and exhaust mods, that would be a fun project with similar or perhaps even more power than the redline at a lower price point. That way, you get to put your money into the go fast bits without the added bling (for those that aren't into the bling thing). Hell, you can pick up a low-mileage 2.4L sky with a manual trans now for the high teens.

I haven't been keeping track...are they going to kill the Solstice as well as the Sky?

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
Gerry Proctor
Master Member

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
A cheap bump in power (11% over stock) is nice, but hardly a huge performance boost.
All things relative. Brings the weight to power ratio to 10:1, which is pretty hot. The advantage is the tune allows PUpgrades, which means adding a bigger turbo, downpipe, exhaust or other mods actually adds power. With the stock flash, the torque-limiting would detune to keep power levels at stock.

Quote:
I'll be curious to see what the aftermarket comes up with for goosing the boost on the 2.0L. In the VW/Audi world, folks are getting anywhere from 25-40% with ECU remaps of stock turbocharged engines to increase the boost levels without blowing engines. I believe folks are achieving similar results in the Subaru world.
You're well behind the power curve on this one. If you want to catch up on what the aftermarket is doing with the LNF engine, there's plenty of documentation. Forty percent is at the low end. There are more than a handful of 100+ percenters out there. Ecotec forums would be a good place to start.

Quote:
A really nice hack would be forced induction on the 2.4L Sky. With suitable fueling and exhaust mods, that would be a fun project with similar or perhaps even more power than the redline at a lower price point. That way, you get to put your money into the go fast bits without the added bling (for those that aren't into the bling thing). Hell, you can pick up a low-mileage 2.4L sky with a manual trans now for the high teens.
The aftermarket already has this well covered. There are turbo and roots kits that will put the 2.4 in the 350rwhp range. Nothing to sneeze at by any means. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for. And if that's not enough, Mallet will install an LS7 for you. 500+ hp ought to be enough for most folks. And there is no "bling" difference between the Red Line and the base Sky, or at least the appearance differences are very modest. The differences between the two are substantial in the mechanicals, though.

Quote:
I haven't been keeping track...are they going to kill the Solstice as well as the Sky?
No one's crystal ball is that clear at this point and whatever you hear or read is speculation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
gary p
gary p is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
In the VW/Audi world, folks are getting anywhere from 25-40% with ECU remaps of stock turbocharged engines to increase the boost levels without blowing engines. I believe folks are achieving similar results in the Subaru world.

None of the VWs that get 25-40% more power out of just a remap of the ECU are starting at 130 hp/liter.

The early 1.8T VW/Audis that responed that well to ECU updates were choked down to 155 hp from the factory, or ~86 hp/liter. Peak boost was limited to something like 6 pounds early in the rev range, then it bled down to under 5 at redline. Since the ECU directly controlled the boost, and the stock boost was kept so low, getting another 40-50 hp was as easy as letting the little turbo run wild (10-12 lbs of boost).

Suggesting that they Sky should be capable of proportinal increases in horsepower completely ingores the differences in the original factory states of tune.

No Subaru I know of gets that much of a bump out of ECU only tuning. With tuning and some serious replumbing of the intake and exhaust you can get ther on some of the lower power level turbos (2.0 WRX, lower hp 2.5 turbos like found in the 2006-2008 WRX).

Last edited by gary p; 01-07-2009 at 07:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gary p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gary p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gary p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #17
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

Very nice they can do that stuff to stock cars and keep the warranty. The turbo is tiny in that car though. I'm surprised they were able to squeeze more power out of it. Now that the de-tune is disabled, a bigger turbo should be able to make a world of a difference even if you stay at the same boost level.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #18
Gerry Proctor
Master Member

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic torpedo View Post
...a bigger turbo should be able to make a world of a difference even if you stay at the same boost level.
This is still an area of working out the bugs. People have been using the GT30R and GT3076R and hybrid KO4s but there have been limitations to the effectiveness since the computer puts the car in limp mode after about 3 seconds at the higher boost levels. The GM tune will open a lot of doors in this regard so the final page has yet to be written on this one.

Even though the variant of the KO4 used in the LNF seems small, it can still flow 32lb/min and remain in the good part of the compressor map. Where it sees its limit comes with rpm. The stock KO4 turbo is efficient at high pressure ratios. Just not high pressure ratios at elevated rpm. The aftermarket tunes raise the redline to 7k rpm or more, which many report not finding useable power up there. I think this is why GM's tune raises the redline only a couple hundred rpm. They wanted to stay in the compressor's efficiency range to get the most out of the tune.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #19
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02OrangeSC2 View Post
Too bad I have to wait till I pull mine out of storage in April. I'll definitly have the kit ready and waiting!
April?! I live in Lucas County, like 45 minutes west of you at very most, and mine comes out the first 50 degree day in March. Top doesn't go down till it hits a good 60-65 for a few days, but still. And being in storage, it's the perfect time to get work done on it, since you're not driving it and all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic torpedo View Post
Very nice they can do that stuff to stock cars and keep the warranty. The turbo is tiny in that car though. I'm surprised they were able to squeeze more power out of it. Now that the de-tune is disabled, a bigger turbo should be able to make a world of a difference even if you stay at the same boost level.
Just over 370 whp has been done on a lnf engine with a gt28.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote