SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 12:02 AM   #1
intraterrestre
intraterrestre is on a distinguished road

Default PCM for Saturn sl2 2000

Hi, Im new here and I'm glad to find this site! I have a saturn sl2 2000 it's an awesome car economic and looking pretty cool, but I just got a problem, when I try to start my car doesn't start but the engine runs but will not start, I change the sparks, the crankshaft but the problem is still there, I think the problem could be the PCM, the pcm is under the hood and behind the battery. but my question is I don't know if I need change the pcm or just keep the mine and take it to the dealer for a reflash. I need your advice guys! thanks for your time

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to intraterrestre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help intraterrestre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
intraterrestre is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: PCM for Saturn sl2 2000

NGK copper Spark plugs only.

Replace your Engine Coolant Temperature sensor following the directions in the how-to library.

You replaced the crankshaft? or the crankshaft position sensor? I would hope the latter of the two.

A non starting engine is not a running engine

I have yet to see a bad PCM. Its usually something else

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #3
intraterrestre

Well I change the engine coolant sensor and I just bougth other pcm and the problem now is something little, the sound is much better actually starts but turn in off quickly, I think I have to re flash the pcm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help intraterrestre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

No now the BCM is not matched with the PCM so the cars security systems is not allowing the car to start. You need to go to the dealer and get them matched.

I would look more into your original problem with the other PCM. Its most likely the RKE system that is giving you the issues.

Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
intraterrestre

Yeah I found a pcm with the same serv. number, I going to the dealer just with the new pcm (with the same serv.number as before) to get match the pcm with the vin number. I think I will need some luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Stop throwing parts at it and start TESTING.

Rudimentary spark test - remove the #1 and #4 spark plug wires at the coil. Turn the key to START and look for spark between the coil towers.

Rudimentary fue test - turn off all accessories, and turn the key to RUN. Listen for a "whrrr" sound behind you. If you hear it, that's the initial priming by the fuel pump.

If the engine is cranking, it's not the RKE; that would only prevent the starter from turning. RKE functionality is built into the BCM, anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
intraterrestre

All the sparks works perfectly and the fuel pump too. The engine is cranking so isn't the RKE, but you think if I take the pcm with the vin number to match at the dealer for a reflash could be the answer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by intraterrestre View Post
...but you think if I take the pcm with the vin number to match at the dealer for a reflash could be the answer?
Nope. I think you have and extra PCM that you dont need. And changing the cranck position sensor sometmes requires a crank relearn procedure to be done.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
luklyz
luklyz is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Hi
There is a passlock relearn procedure and crankshaft variation relearn procedure. It can done in home without reprogramming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luklyz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luklyz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luklyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
intraterrestre

:O so! what are the steps to relearn procedure of the crankshaft?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

RKE allows the car to run for 2 seconds and then shuts it off in the third generation cars.

Relearn is usually only needed on the '96 year. Ive never seen it be the answer to any other year since ive been here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
Relearn is usually only needed on the '96 year. Ive never seen it be the answer to any other year since ive been here.
And the funny thing is, I have a 1996 SC2 that I swapped a junkyard PCM into and it didnt need a crank relearn done.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
luklyz

2008 VUE 3.6L

Hi
This is two pages from my "Tech Tips" i hope this will help you

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...08121722PM.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...08121857PM.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help luklyz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
RKE allows the car to run for 2 seconds and then shuts it off in the third generation cars.
I thought that was the Passlock function, present on all gen-3 cars. So if you hot-wire a gen-3 car without RKE, you're scot-free?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 AM   #15
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
I thought that was the Passlock function, present on all gen-3 cars. So if you hot-wire a gen-3 car without RKE, you're scot-free?
I suppose i associate Passlock with RKE since its the locking of the car with the remote that arms the system

"Passlock RKE allows the car to run for 2 seconds and then shuts it off in the third generation cars"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #16
intraterrestre

Well well well!!!! first at all I'm so happy that my car run again! yesterday before to go to the dealer I make my last move, I put back the crankshaft and the original pcm and occurs a miracle!!! xD roman (my car) starts I turn in off and try again and starts like new, I' so happy. I don't know what happened, thanks to everybody especially to the people that answer me and take their time for say something I really apprecite it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
I suppose i associate Passlock with RKE since its the locking of the car with the remote that arms the system
But as I said before, isn't Passlock present on all the gen-3 (or at least '01-'02) cars? I thought Passlock was a function of the ignition switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #18
luklyz

2008 VUE 3.6L

passlock is in saturns 3 gen 2000, 2001, 2002, passlock is in BCM, Changing PCM, or BCM you have to program passlock security

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
But as I said before, isn't Passlock present on all the gen-3 (or at least '01-'02) cars? I thought Passlock was a function of the ignition switch.
I think the safe way to associate Passlock with Saturns would be that its programmed into every BCM equipped Saturn. No BCM = no Passlock anti-theft system. And you are correct that its an additional function of the ignition switch by way of Hall effect sensors (several) to detect ignition key position while simultaneously sending the (GM) resistance value as part of the security check. I don't know what year BCM's were included in the S-series but the L-series had them as standard equipment and I believe every new model afterwards; Vues, Aura's, Ions, and Outlooks. Somewhere along the way after the L-series, I think the Aura's(?) went to rfid (chip-in-the-key) transponder keys, doing away with the cumbersome ignition switch sensors (notice the complaints in the Ion forums?) for better electronics. A co-worker has this rfid key for his '06 Vette. 50 foot proximity for instant key/ignition/anti-theft system recognition!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #20
alaird
alaird is on a distinguished road

Well guys,
After reading all of your posts and getting some really useful information, I was able to finally get this 00 Saturn SL2 running. I had a friend of mine, ask me to fix his wife's car, after it had been sitting up for over a year. Got it home, car would not fire up. I listend for fuel pump to turn on when I turn the key to the run position. No pump. Checked relays, fuses, all good. I've got power at the pump connector plug on top the fuel tank for 3 seconds with key just turned on, but no pumping action. To try and make this a quicker post, I had to replace a corroded out fuel pump motor, filters, and injectors. Yes, the injectors were too far gone and not worth saving. It was kind of weird, why would there be dog food in the gas tank? Turns out, my friend is in the middle of a neighbor war. Hmmm. Now that I've got pump, and great pump pressure, why am I not getting any spark. Again, all fuses are good, so I checked the crank sensor. 820ohms at 75F outside. I ohmed the wires back to the PCM. Hmmm..good continuity... okay, it must be the ICM. Got power to ICM but just infinity on the other wires. I had a spare ICM, tried it out, still no spark. So..after battling with myself about getting another PCM, my better side won, and I got one off of ebay for $30 and free shipping. Installed new PCM, now I got spark! YES! But car only runs for 2 seconds and then cuts out. I read about sinchronizing the PCM and BCM on this forum, tried it out, and sure enough, the car started right up after completing the proceedure and runs fine....except for the blown gasket part on number 4 cyl. Still tho, if any of you have never heard of a bad PCM...here it is. Thanks to all of you guys for posting such good information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alaird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alaird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alaird is offline   Reply With Quote