SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
angelaw
angelaw is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2002 SL2
Question Which to choose

Her son again.Everybody knows how crackerjack 97 SC2 (who knows on eng 107k on body) has cost her money, but as much work that was put in i should get my moneys worth. The 96 SL1 i started with was perfect at 62k on the engine 110k on the body that was after repairs.

both hve replace engines
DOHC v. SOHC
Auto v. Man
power options v. base model

Which would be better for a student who will be driving soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angelaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angelaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: Which to choose

auto/sohc/base model.

the reason why i say this is because when i was first started driving i took cars as a big hotwheel toy had to push everthing in the car and play with everything while i was driving. I look at it like this for a 1st time driver the less you have to distract you the better off you are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
angelaw

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

isnt ant option for me the dohc is auto the sohc is stan and cant swap the pcm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help angelaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
angelaw

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

Ok. Alex, you really need to get your own login :P

My oldest son is thinking of getting an newer car and trading in the SL1 manual he bought off of me last summer. I, personally would like to have the SL back and trade in the SC2 I have now instead. Oldest son doesn't care which one he trades in. But since Alex has done the majority of the work on both cars, I am allowing him to decide which one he would rather keep.

Pros/cons:

96 Sl1, basic everything. Body has about 150k on it, engine has about 90, original clutch/tranny. Basic maint/fluid changes. Brakes, rotors, added cruise, new struts, tensioner, minor stuff.

97 sc2, auto. no power windows, no power locks, just power mirror. in addition to reg. main stuff, brakes, rotors, struts, 3 tensioners, new master cylinder, reman a/c compressor, new exp valve, new drier, new evap core, new heater core, new alternator, new sensors on tb, upgraded to leather, newer carpet. one window has power right now, have to order sliders to fix.

So now everyone knows, and Alex, get your own id. Mom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The manual will take much more abuse and still keep functioning. The more power goodies the more problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Perhaps the deciding question is -- and be honest, both of you -- which of you is the better manual tranny driver?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
angelaw

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

I haven't taught him yet. Older son bought the car off me and took it before Alex was old enough to drive it. I prefer the clutch over an auto, but that's me. I figure teach 2 kids on it, then replace the clutch, lol.

I still have the a/c to swap for the 4th time, windshield to replace, and a couple other projects, so about another $500 to put into it.

The SL hasn't had the p/s pump, master cylinder, none of that stuff replaced as of yet.

Of course, this is all dependent on older son being able to get credit for a newer car, so it might all be mute. who knows yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!