SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default RKE Functions programming

This is with my 99 SC-2. Also, I have already read the "How To" on this and I don't see the solution. So any help would be appreciated.

For some reason, all on it's own, the functions performed when you lock or unlock using the RKE fob have changed. For as long as I have had the car, when you selected "lock", it would lock the doors and arm the security system. If you pushed the lock button a second time, the horn would chirp. When unlocking, the first button push would unlock the drivers door only, disarm the security and turn on the dome light all with no horn chirp. To unlock the passenger door, you have to press the unlock button a second time.

NOW for some reason, things have changed and I don't know why. Now, when you press the lock button once, the locks lock, the system arms and you get a horn chirp. When you press unlock once, you get the drivers door unlocked, the horn chirps TWICE and then the dome light comes on. You still have to press the unlock button a second time to get the passenger door unlocked.

Like I said, I did nothing to cause this to change. I really don't like it because no matter what happens, you will get a horn chirp. Because of my work schedule, I am comming and going at some odd hours and I really don't like the horn going off every time I either arrive and lock or unlock to leave. I would like to get it back to the way it was.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default Re: RKE Functions programming

No takers on this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Do you have more than one remote to isolate the problem to the remote or rke system?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I would agree, try another remote otherwise yours is almost 10yrs old and probably needs a thorough cleaning. Some TLC on the old one can do wonders sometimes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

I'll give that a try.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Jump pins #4 and #8 on the OBD 2 connector and see what mode the RKE is in.I bet the horn will chirp four times indicating mode # 4.If your in mode four do the procedure in this video except cycle the key only one time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_lSBVXloQ

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 AM   #7
beckerboards
beckerboards is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

If its really bothering you, I would just reprogram the remote.

I just bought another RKE on ebay for $15 and easily reprogrammed two RKE to the setting that I desired.

You might already be aware but their is an instruction manual in how to do this on this website in the DIY section.

Good luck.

No Bad Days

'99 Saturn SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beckerboards's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beckerboards reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beckerboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

First, thanks to all who responded. Next, many thanks to Richpin, your input and video were very helpful and I was able to resolve the problem with the procedure you outlined.

I do still have a question or two if any of you have any idea. FIRST, when I jumpered pins 4 and 8, the horn did chirp as indicated in the video to identify the mode the RKE module was in. BUT, it chirped 14 times, yes I said FOURTEEN. Got any clue what mode that is? Next, any ideas what may have caused this un-prompted change? As I said in my first post, I did nothing. Just one day, I went out to get in the car and bingo, mode change.

As for those who suggested that I try another FOB to see if they did the same thing, I did, and as I suspected, they were no different. And as for the instructions to program a FOB, I really didn't think that would have any effect as that is to program the FOB to match the car, that has no effect on the MODE that the receiving module in the car operates on. The mode is obviously controlled by the module in the car, not the key FOB. Also as I stated in my first post, I did check the instructions given by Wolfman in the HOW TO but I didn't see what I needed.

But again thanks to all who responded. It is back to normal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!