SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
joshg31
joshg31 is on a distinguished road

Default Seatbelt Warning Disable?

Does anyone know of a way to disable the seatbelt warning chime? I do try to wear a seatbelt most of the time but if i am traveling within 5 minutes from my home or making frequent stops its just easier to leave it off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshg31's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshg31 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joshg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
zielinab
zielinab is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default Re: Seatbelt Warning Disable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshg31 View Post
Does anyone know of a way to disable the seatbelt warning chime? I do try to wear a seatbelt most of the time but if i am traveling within 5 minutes from my home or making frequent stops its just easier to leave it off.
No. It's there for a reason.

And, not to preach or offend, but quite frankly that's stupid. Distance travelled or number of stops are irrelevant. Besides airbags make it even worse to be unbelted in a crash.

I've posted the pics of our smashed minivan on here in the past. That particluar crash happened a mile from our house, and she hadn't even gotten on the main road yet, was still on the "collector" road that the subdivisions attach to.

If you'd like I can re-post the pics as a friendly reminder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zielinab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zielinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
joshg31

I definitely understand the importance of seatbelt safety but I don't need to be reminded by vehicle every time I put the car in Drive that it isn't buckled. My other vehicles don't have the chime and i do not forget to put it on.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR 4AWD Cocoa w/ Black Leather
Premium Trim
Advanced Audio Package
DVD Package
XM radio
Tow Package
Cross Rails
Remote Start
HID's
19" Sport Touring Package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help joshg31 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
zielinab

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
I definitely understand the importance of seatbelt safety but I don't need to be reminded by vehicle every time I put the car in Drive that it isn't buckled. My other vehicles don't have the chime and i do not forget to put it on.
Sorry, but I disagree. Apparently you do forget, or you would never hear the chime. Besides the fact that you stated that you sometimes intentionally leave it off.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I just don't understand people (not just you, I've met others) who don't "get it". It shouldn't even require any thought. I'm raising two (so far) kids to understand the importance of buckling up. Heck, if my 5 year old isn't buckled yet, and he even thinks I'm reaching for the gearshift, he gives me an earful.

In the end, it's your life, so it's your choice. But don't count on the chimes to go away. There are even more advanced reminder systems and interlock systems being discussed all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zielinab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Mister T
Mister T is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zielinab View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk here.
For what it's worth...I don't think you're being a jerk at all! Good on ya for setting the example for the kids.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Carlisle_Outlk
Carlisle_Outlk is on a distinguished road

joshg31 - How does being within 5 minutes of your house minimize the severity of a potential crash? I'm sure a large portion of your travel time is spent within that range.
It's obvious that you have never had a loved one involved in a serious crash. I have and it happened only a mile from our house on a rural road (hit by a dump truck whose brakes had failed). Go to your local rehabilitation hospital and see what TBI (traumatic brain injury) looks like. You might think differently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlisle_Outlk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlisle_Outlk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlisle_Outlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
hortaja
hortaja is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Joshg31

Hey at least you now know we wish to keep our Saturn friends alive and well....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hortaja's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hortaja reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hortaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
joshg31

You know what, when i made the post i didn't realize i was going to be confronted by the moral police! It's getting quite ridiculous. You can preach to me all you want about seatbelt safety but there will always be times that I feel its unnecessary to have to be REMINDED to put it on. Here's an example, just yesterday i was in a parking lot at one store. Got back in the car and headed to another store in the same lot, definitely not walking distance. I do not need to be reminded in that 1 MINUTE drive that my seatbelt is not on. When i made the post i wasn't asking for beliefs or even opinions on seatbelt safety. The question was quite simple, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A WAY TO DISABLE THE SEATBELT CHIME? Not, does anyone know if it's a good idea, does anyone think it's morally right, does anyone have a strong opinion against it? If there is no one here that can answer that question and put aside there beliefs than please save us all the trouble and discontinue posting in the thread.

Good Day!

Premium Trim
Advanced Audio Package
DVD Package
XM radio
Tow Package
Cross Rails
Remote Start
HID's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
grambo
grambo is on a distinguished road

After reading your last post, I can honestly say I have no real opinion on your safety. Knock yourself out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grambo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grambo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
grambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

I wasn't going to reply to your original request, but after seeing your response to those that responded (correctly and politely, I might add) to your post I have the following comment.

It is against the law to drive without a seat belt, period!

To post on a board and ask people to help you break the law is just plain rediculous.

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
f3qu3t
f3qu3t is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 2.2L

Before you get in your Outlook, take your seat belt and buckle it up, then have a seat.

Or, why not just cut the buckle off the belt and permanently latch it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to f3qu3t's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help f3qu3t reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
f3qu3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
FalconXR
FalconXR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiz View Post
I wasn't going to reply to your original request, but after seeing your response to those that responded (correctly and politely, I might add) to your post I have the following comment.

It is against the law to drive without a seat belt, period!

To post on a board and ask people to help you break the law is just plain rediculous.
Actually, It is NOT illegal up here in New Hampshire.

It is also LEGAL to ride a motorcycle without a helmet if you choose not to wear one. When I ride I have the helmet, when I drive I have the seat belt. Then again it is my choice, as it should be.

I believe there is a setting to lower the chime volume through the DIC. I'm not sure if can be turned completely off but I think it would effect all chimes.

Peace.

Outlook XR AWD
Charcoal Gray
Black Leather w/ 2nd row Captain chairs
Loaded w/ everything but DVD and Nav

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FalconXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FalconXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FalconXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #13
joshg31

Its pathetic to see so many people who do not know how to read. Despite asking that those who are only going to offer their stance on seatbelt safety not to reply to the thread, you do it anyway. You guys can comment, preach, harp as much as you want. As the last poster said its my CHOICE to wear a seatbelt. If i choose not to wear it when i am taking a 30 second drive in a parking lot is irrelevant. If you all weren't so full of yourselves and wanting your moment to stand on a soap box and be the moral hero you wouldn't have anything to say. Its so easy to be a tough guy on the internet these days. If you don't have an answer to the original question don't answer just to make a post. What a joke!!

Premium Trim
Advanced Audio Package
DVD Package
XM radio
Tow Package
Cross Rails
Remote Start
HID's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Its pathetic to see so many people who do not know how to read. Despite asking that those who are only going to offer their stance on seatbelt safety not to reply to the thread, you do it anyway. You guys can comment, preach, harp as much as you want. As the last poster said its my CHOICE to wear a seatbelt. If i choose not to wear it when i am taking a 30 second drive in a parking lot is irrelevant. If you all weren't so full of yourselves and wanting your moment to stand on a soap box and be the moral hero you wouldn't have anything to say. Its so easy to be a tough guy on the internet these days. If you don't have an answer to the original question don't answer just to make a post. What a joke!!

True that it's your choice not to wear a seat belt. But it is also the choice of others on this board to remind you how dangerous it is AND that it is ethically (if not legally) wrong to tell you how to disconnect it or turn it off.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
zielinab

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:

10 seconds of searching on the internet produced volumes of information on the topic, as it applies to various other cars. It's not rocket science.

Typically you would need to:
-Check the owner's manual, as some manufacturers have the procedure included.
-Go to the dealer, and they can hook up to the car's computer to reprogram (if they're willing, may require a waiver)
-Some vehicles (VAG, etc) have interfaces and software you can buy to reprogram it yourself
-Try not to be so hostile to a community that offered you genuine and friendly advice related to the question you asked. You might notice that nobody was attacking you, and that some were keeping their opinions to themselves until you yourself started getting agitated. The only one acting like an "Internet Tough Guy" appears to be you.
-Pray that you don't get clobbered on one of your short trips by some idiot who blows through a stop sign, or is flying through a parking lot and not paying attention.

It's your choice to ignore common sense (and depending on where you live, local traffic laws). It's your choice to be rude to people who expressed concern for you, even though they do not know you. Obviously no one here is going to stop you from doing what you want- just don't be surprised if they don't help you do it.

Good luck, and I honestly hope you enjoy your new Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #16
joshg31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zielinab View Post
10 seconds of searching on the internet produced volumes of information on the topic, as it applies to various other cars. It's not rocket science.

Typically you would need to:
-Check the owner's manual, as some manufacturers have the procedure included.
-Go to the dealer, and they can hook up to the car's computer to reprogram (if they're willing, may require a waiver)
-Some vehicles (VAG, etc) have interfaces and software you can buy to reprogram it yourself
-Try not to be so hostile to a community that offered you genuine and friendly advice related to the question you asked. You might notice that nobody was attacking you, and that some were keeping their opinions to themselves until you yourself started getting agitated. The only one acting like an "Internet Tough Guy" appears to be you.
-Pray that you don't get clobbered on one of your short trips by some idiot who blows through a stop sign, or is flying through a parking lot and not paying attention.

It's your choice to ignore common sense (and depending on where you live, local traffic laws). It's your choice to be rude to people who expressed concern for you, even though they do not know you. Obviously no one here is going to stop you from doing what you want- just don't be surprised if they don't help you do it.

Good luck, and I honestly hope you enjoy your new Saturn.
Hey concerned citizen maybe you should re-read the thread from the top. It was actually you that started with the hostilities. Right off the bat with thats stupid. What if anything you have said in the thread has been "friendly" advice? You are probably the most offensive friendly responder I have ever dealt with. Everyone in the thread seems to have overlooked the point of my question. It wasn't that I was looking for help in avoiding a seatbelt it was DISABLING A FREAKING SEATBELT CHIME!!! I wear and have worn a seatbelt since I began driving over 15 years ago. I do NOT need to be reminded to put it on. I should have a choice as to whether or not to be reminded. Thats it, nothing more.

And yeah you are right, there are threads all over the net on how to disable it in other vehicles which is why i posed the question in a Saturn forum. Thought I would get someone with a hint of knowledge about it not opinions on seatbelt safety. My first thought was to read the manual which i did from cover to cover and there is no mention of how to disable it. I did a search on the net and got no answers as the vehicle is too new. Then I said hey let me ask a harmless question in a Saturn Outlook Forum. This is what it has turned to. I thoroughly enjoy my Saturn Outlook just not the chime. It is clear now that I will get no answers from anyone at this site just OPINIONS and CRITICISM. I would hardly call my responses being tough. I have responded logically, tactfully, and politely. I have set no hostile tone here, no offensive language or phrasing. But I will NOT sit here listen to this useless drivel. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but this was not an opinion thread. I asked if anyone knew how to disable the seatbelt chime. How is it that no one seems to realize that?

Premium Trim
Advanced Audio Package
DVD Package
XM radio
Tow Package
Cross Rails
Remote Start
HID's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #17
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I asked if anyone knew how to disable the seatbelt chime. How is it that no one seems to realize that?
Oh, it was realized. And it probably can't be done. It's there to
  • Try to annoy you enough to put your seatbelt on
  • Prevent people from being injured in an accident where they're unbelted by saying "Well, I forgot to put on my seatbelt because there wasn't a chime!" (It probably could happen.)
  • To say "Put on your seatbelt, because you can get hurt no matter what speed."

Not to piggyback the comments, but you know that the typical speed for NHTSA crash tests is, IIRC, 35 mph? That may not seem like it'd be much of an impact, but it is. Even 25 would be. If you're riding a bike at 15 mph, and the bike hits something, you still travel at 15 mph to whatever distance. I'm not sure what speed the airbags would deploy over, but if it's not 15, you really don't want to smack a steering wheel. If you're running at 10 mph and you blink and hit a wall that wasn't there before (pretend it was painted to look like the road ahead--an illusion! ), don't you think that would hurt?

Nobody's trying to be a jerk. I'm sorry you feel that way, but this isn't light stuff. zielenab isn't just talking, he had pics of an accident his minivan was involved in.

The easiest way to disable the chime is to buckle up. Sorry.
Welcome to the forums, and I hope you otherwise enjoy it here!

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #18
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Ok, enough of the bickering back and forth, I don't have to read all of that. I have been told that every vehicle has a way to delete the seat belt warning chime, since there are people that are exempt from wearing them for medical reasons, which I do not recall. A mechanic told me this, and showed me how to do it on a 2004 F-150 Lightning. Each car is different, but it is possible. The dealer should know how, but don't be surprised if they won't readily do it for you. If you are nice, they might tell you, if it is user serviceable. Some might need dealer equipment for re-programming, I am assuming. Good Luck.

EDIT: I believe what happens is the audible alarm is disabled, while the dash symbol still lights up everytime, no matter what, for the 8 seconds, or however long it stays on when not buckled up.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisle_Outlk View Post
joshg31 - How does being within 5 minutes of your house minimize the severity of a potential crash? I'm sure a large portion of your travel time is spent within that range.
It's obvious that you have never had a loved one involved in a serious crash. I have and it happened only a mile from our house on a rural road (hit by a dump truck whose brakes had failed). Go to your local rehabilitation hospital and see what TBI (traumatic brain injury) looks like. You might think differently.
I've always heard most accidents occur during the short ones near your home.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #20
joshg31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
Ok, enough of the bickering back and forth, I don't have to read all of that. I have been told that every vehicle has a way to delete the seat belt warning chime, since there are people that are exempt from wearing them for medical reasons, which I do not recall. A mechanic told me this, and showed me how to do it on a 2004 F-150 Lightning. Each car is different, but it is possible. The dealer should know how, but don't be surprised if they won't readily do it for you. If you are nice, they might tell you, if it is user serviceable. Some might need dealer equipment for re-programming, I am assuming. Good Luck.

EDIT: I believe what happens is the audible alarm is disabled, while the dash symbol still lights up everytime, no matter what, for the 8 seconds, or however long it stays on when not buckled up.
Now theres the first person who actually cared to answer the question at hand. I have done search after search on the net about other vehicles. Threads were started posing almost the exact same question and those folks had no problem identifying how to disable the chime. It only seems to this forum that everyone takes a moral high ground. If you dont believe search the topic yourself and see that most of you are being way out of line. Get over yourselves really. Take a step back, step down from the soap box. Your points have all been said, REPEATEDLY! Your not changing my view on the subject and i am not changing yours. Again, it all goes back to a simple question. Either you have the answer or you don't. There is no gray area here....

Premium Trim
Advanced Audio Package
DVD Package
XM radio
Tow Package
Cross Rails
Remote Start
HID's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!