SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Killa_G
Killa_G is on a distinguished road

Default Bad rings-Possibly?

I have an 02 vue with about 117k miles on it. The past week I have noticed that the car has no power at higher RPM's and it smokes alot at high RPM's. On the way home from school today I stopped at a stop sign, accelerated, and the car immediatley lost power. The check engine light flashed. I turned into my friends driveway and we took a look at it. The oil was about halfway empty. When I rev the engine up grayish colored smoke comes out.

I am thinking its the piston rings. Does anyone know how much this costs at the dealership?

Our dealership down here is so crappy I'm not sure I would even trust them to do the job (especially of this magnitude). I took the car to them once just to see why the CEL light was coming on and they left two oxygen sensors un-plugged.

If anyone else has any other ideas let me know. I would also like to know the price that comes with replacing the rings from the dealership if anyone knows it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Killa_G; 12-10-2008 at 05:44 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Killa_G's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Killa_G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Killa_G is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Bad rings-Possibly?

What's your coolant look like?

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Killa_G

The coolant level is fine. If its the slightest bit low it will trip off the sensor and I would know about it. Plus I checked it today at my friends.

And the oil isnt milky either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Killa_G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

6 or 4? It may be in the head, not rings. Possible bad oil seals. The V6 has an oil cooler under the intake manifold and some kind of 'vacuum chamber' - sounds like a match made in hell to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
Killa_G

Its the V6.

I'm going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow and figure out what the deal is.

Its getting sold after it gets fixed-mayby before if its rings. Last week it was the Crank position sensor. Leaving me stranded at neumerous shoplights/signs randomly, extremely frustrating. Especially from a sensor that is not needed in the first place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #6
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

They can rule out bad rings with a compression test. Based on what others have posted about dealer service on major engine problems with the L81, the most likely response will be to replace the engine. In that case you can put a used one in or find somebody to work on yours. Sometimes it's no more expensive and usually quicker to put another engine in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
Killa_G

And yet another bad thing is that I dont even know where the hell the spark plugs are on this thing. I think they are under the IM and from what I have heard they are no fun to get to. Which rules out me even being halfway able to give the car a compression test myself.

If the vue requires a new engine I believe I will call it all done.

The car has been falling apart. It currently needs a paint job, new struts all around, and now, a new engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!