SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where Do You Most Often Get Your Saturn Serviced?
My local retailer 55 53.92%
National auto repair chain 2 1.96%
Small independent shop 9 8.82%
I do it myself 36 35.29%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #61
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: Where Do You Get Your Saturn Serviced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebragginator View Post
What will everyone do when saturn goes away soon
They're gone in Canada... have been for a few months.

You go to the GM/Chevy dealer for parts or service.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #62
mharris73
mharris73 is on a distinguished road

Used to go to dealer. Then they closed. Now do most myself. Or a local guy who is pretty fair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mharris73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mharris73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mharris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #63
CM400T
CM400T is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Any idea where the "official" GM place is for parts in Cincinnati? I'm looking but can't find the announcement they mailed me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CM400T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CM400T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CM400T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #64
snowball
snowball is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Used to go to the dealership until my Saturn was orphaned. Now I found a family owned shop that knows more about that Saturn than the dealer did. And price for service is reasonable. Less than $20.00 for oil change including tax. Now I take all my cars to them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snowball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snowball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 AM   #65
CM400T
CM400T is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Oh, yeah, knowledge is important, you better believe it! Last time I was inside AutoZone, an employee who "used to be a mechanic" failed to realize that my Honda was a motorcycle. My Honda is "air-cooled", has a "parallel twin" engine and has a "wet clutch". How could he not know these rule out a car?

And I can't figure out why you have to specify which engine (SOHC or DOHC) you have to find the correct windshield wiper (or other common parts).

Maybe the announcement (who is taking over parts) is in my file folder, where it is supposed to be. I'll look when I get up in a few hours.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CM400T's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CM400T reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CM400T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #66
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM400T View Post
Oh, yeah, knowledge is important, you better believe it! Last time I was inside AutoZone, an employee who "used to be a mechanic" failed to realize that my Honda was a motorcycle. My Honda is "air-cooled", has a "parallel twin" engine and has a "wet clutch". How could he not know these rule out a car?

And I can't figure out why you have to specify which engine (SOHC or DOHC) you have to find the correct windshield wiper (or other common parts).

Maybe the announcement (who is taking over parts) is in my file folder, where it is supposed to be. I'll look when I get up in a few hours.
CMT; I sent you a PM- the Saturn Authorized Dealership in Cincinnati is Saturn of Tri County over by Tri-County Mall at the intersection of 747 and Kemper Road.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #67
paulclawson3
paulclawson3 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2001 SW2

independant garage, but im so broke that I now have to Do it myself, thank you forum and saturnfans!!! : )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulclawson3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulclawson3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulclawson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #68
SaturnBro1
SaturnBro1 is on a distinguished road

Default Local

i get my car serviced at my local retailer.

http://miautotimes.com/mi-dealer-ratings/michigan-gmc-dealers-ratings/
http://miautotimes.com/mi-dealer-ratings/michigan-buick-dealers-ratings/
http://www.mi-used-cars.miautotimes.com/preowned.asp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnBro1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnBro1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnBro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #69
ComputerGeek365
ComputerGeek365 is on a distinguished road

1995 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Happy Re: Where Do You Get Your Saturn Serviced?

I do all my own maintance including,
-transmission fluid / filter
-oil change / filter
-brakes
-battery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ComputerGeek365's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ComputerGeek365 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ComputerGeek365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #70
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

For the year i've been on this forum, i've done everything myself. I still do.

Since the recent inspection of my Vue leading to a timing belt put on wrong at a local shop, which ironically my husband works at, I, well ..we decided any major needs of our Vue goes to the Honda dealership.

We have a really good friend that works there, we were able to get the job done right, find the timing cover that the other "mechanic" broke and put back on, they even went through my top end and cleaned everything they could,not included in the hours. and the labor rate typically being $120hr, was reduced to $75 for us, and the job books at a 6 hour job, and was written for us for 4.

Hell the mechanic also put some smarties on the sides of my shifter for my lil guy my buddy that works there said he seen the car seat

I'd also rather supprt my friends dealership, than any other gm.

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #71
jroymcd
jroymcd is on a distinguished road

trying to do it myself. thats why i joined

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jroymcd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jroymcd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jroymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #72
Sterling Archer
Sterling Archer is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

DIY or independent garage (depending on my spare time, the complexity of the job, and $$$).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sterling Archer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sterling Archer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sterling Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #73
05/96
05/96 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1993 SC2

i service my own in my parking space

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05/96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05/96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05/96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #74
motrhed79
motrhed79 is on a distinguished road

I fix it myself either at home or at work depending on whether I need to lift it.

Ford Senior Master Technician
Current fleet:
~02 SC2 Rebuild thread http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181982
~00 F150
Saturns from my past ~95 SL1, ~97 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to motrhed79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help motrhed79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
motrhed79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #75
henrow
henrow is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

At a small indendy mechanic or I do it myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to henrow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help henrow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
henrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #76
Rover1
Rover1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I do most repairs myself. Did use a non dealer shop for a wheel bearing repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rover1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rover1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #77
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The total history is mixed, but most servicing and repairs have been done by me at home. For the first four years or so I used Saturn dealers exclusively. Eventually I got tired of paying their costs and started doing my oil changes at home. The first front brake job was done at a Saturn dealer when the car had 69K plus miles on it. Rotors and pads were replaced. I was shocked!

My experience around brake work informed me that brake rotors will typically have a useable life well beyond the first brake pad replacement. I was told by the Saturn service adviser that the factory used softer metal rotors to eliminate brake noise and so they weren't designed to be long lasting. After that day I resolved that I alone would take care of the brakes (not using factory parts) and have ever since. This and other experiences with work done by dealerships and independent shops convinced me - not because of inferior work - that I needed to do absolutely everything that I possibly could by myself for the car to be as economical to own as possible.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #78
chevellefreak
chevellefreak will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L
1997 SL2

I also do almost every repair myself. The last time I used a Dealership to troubleshoot my fuel injection, They called me back saying I needed new Cylinder Heads....@ $5200.00 installed!!!!! Never Again.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chevellefreak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chevellefreak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chevellefreak is offline   Reply With Quote