SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where Do You Most Often Get Your Saturn Serviced?
My local retailer 55 53.92%
National auto repair chain 2 1.96%
Small independent shop 9 8.82%
I do it myself 36 35.29%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #41
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Where Do You Get Your Saturn Serviced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
So far, just regular servicing which is such a treat from my former dealer (Toyota) where even when I took the vehicle in for an oil change (they had a quick lube that was competitive with the "oil changers"), they (the dealer) managed to find something that needed immediate attention - cost 200 to 500 dollars.
<troll>Heh wow... so much for Toyotas can run forever and ever when you always get someone to find some problem with it and it costs hundreds of dollars eh </troll>

That being said, it depends. if I can do it myself, I'll do it myself. If it's something that I cannot do for any reason, I'll take it to a Car-X (which is now my prefered shop of choice.)

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #42
Seņor Ramos
Seņor Ramos is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

I always do it myself. If I can't do it myself, I call as many people as I can think of to lend me whatever tool or space I need to do it. Especially since I have so much to learn about cars in general, I'd rather go through and learn it myself. Before I got my car, I didn't know how to do much outside of gapping spark plugs and changing tires. Oh, and refueling! I got pretty decent at that. Now, though, I know plenty thanks to doing it myself and not paying someone else. It gets even better. The money I would have spent to service it, I ended up spending on groceries, bills, etc. etc. etc. Frankly, though, I don't make anywhere near enough money to even have someone replace my brakes for me. Not a complaint, though, because it has forced me to learn which is far more valuable to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seņor Ramos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seņor Ramos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seņor Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #43
intravino
intravino is on a distinguished road

At the $tealer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to intravino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help intravino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
intravino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #44
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

My '01SL gets all maintenance in my two car garage. My experience has been that I can't trust shops to do much more than oil changes without jacking it up. It seems craftsmanship cannot be purchased at any shop anymore.

This has chalanged me to learn more, buy more tools, manuals, and research this forum to help diagnose any issues.

The only downside was replacing my engine in January <in Detroit>. It was friggun cold and my electric space heaters could barely keep up. I used craigslist to buy a cherrypicker, stand, and load leveler. When the project was done, I sold all of the tools and made 20 beans. Much better than renting a hoist.

There is alot of satisfaction knowing your 183k mile car is in like new condition and reliable to go anywhere..... as long as I bring my tools with me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #45
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by intravino View Post
At the $tealer
lol! stealer is right! but i will say this, the stealer usually gets the job done right & fast. i usually get to sit in the waiting room, eat free munchies & drink free beverages while i wait, & if the job's not done i get a free ride home, so i guess it's worth the extra money to go there. as more time goes by it seems like the dealer gets even more of my business even though i'm perfectably capable of fixing these issues myself. i once had 4 cars & a motorcycle, so i was always under one car or another as i always loved cars & working on them. it was my most favorite hobby growing up since high school, but i guess now it's more of a hassle than a hobby nowadays as time goes by. it seems like any car problem arrives during a rain storm or freezing cold weather....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #46
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

I have been having my 08 Vue XR/AWD serviced at the retailer where I purchased the vehicle. They have given me excellent service and I have no complaints with respect to their charges. I am worried however as to what I will do in the future as I expect my retailer will close once Saturn fades into the past. I am taking my vehicle in for service next Thursday and hopefully will get an update on what they see in their future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #47
mudawg
mudawg is on a distinguished road

when money is tight I do it myself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mudawg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mudawg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #48
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Too late for the poll but...

"In my own garage" except for alignments.
This completely avoids the stress and hassle of wondering if the oil plug is tight, whether they filled the new oil, what imaginary new "problem" they found, then there is the hassle of getting a ride there and back or waiting for hours... Oh and paying for a new timing belt (hee hee)

Oh yeah, I don't get paid $70 an hour why should I pay someone that much to do mostly unskilled work.

Same for my motorcycles- even more important to know it's done right.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #49
vuefrommidwest
vuefrommidwest is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

I have my 2005 VUE serviced at the dealer, because of the warranty.
Once the warranty runs out, I will take it to an independent garage.

I used to do this myself, but by the time you collect all the stuff, clear a space, and dispose of residue..you've wasted a lot of time..

The only thing I do anymore is change brakepads...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vuefrommidwest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vuefrommidwest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vuefrommidwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #50
TortoiseMe
TortoiseMe is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I got my last oil change done at a minute-lube place down the street, but only because the retailer I bought my car from closed in April, and the dealer I took my car to for the first servicing closed in May.

2008 Astra 5-door XR, salsa red, auto, lthr, sunrf.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TortoiseMe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TortoiseMe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TortoiseMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #51
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

depends , if you just want to keep it boring old stock then auto repair chain or dealship you want to play with it, then local repair shop- friend or your self

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #52
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortoiseMe View Post
I got my last oil change done at a minute-lube place down the street, but only because the retailer I bought my car from closed in April, and the dealer I took my car to for the first servicing closed in May.
DIY.
It's a piece of on this car.

A freakin monkey can do it in 15 mins...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #53
*cAm*
*cAm* is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

My service is all usually done at the local Firestone shop. The manager of the shop is a future client of our office and since we aren't really charging him (because he isn't a client yet) he usually gets us some pretty steep discounts on everything. The service there is great; they've been taking care of my last two cars and I've never had any issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to *cAm*'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help *cAm* reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
*cAm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #54
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

I used to take it into the dealer. (I plead temporary insanity.) I got tired of them calling me later on with a laundry list of other things that needed to be done. The last straw was when they quoted me 2,550.00 to repair my A/C which I ended up having repaired at an outside shop for 640.00. (2 years later it's still working fine.) I do all my own repairs now. I plan on using Goodyear or other independant shops for the stuff I can't do or don't feel like doing myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #55
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Information Re: Where Do You Get Your Saturn Serviced?

I recently had work done at a Kia dealer that use to be a Saturn dealer just a short time ago. They did good work and I would be willing to bring it back to them for additional work in the future ( Kia of west 78 ) in Oceanside CA .
Most of the people working at the Kia dealership were all prior Saturn employees from service to the mechanics .

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #56
Chefrubeo
Chefrubeo is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION Red Line

The dealer, allways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chefrubeo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chefrubeo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chefrubeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #57
beermonkey
beermonkey is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

i do all my own work to save money and learn more about my car. the only time i took my 94 sl1 to the dealer was to get the seat recline thingy replaced because of the recall.

1994 SL1 - R.I.P.
1997 SL2 - sold :)
1978 El Camino - still fixing...
1999 I30t - daily driver
2007 Cag Daytona - fixing
"Gimmie a Pickle jar, I'll open that B***h up like a MotherF**ker!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beermonkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beermonkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #58
Britta92SC2
Britta92SC2 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC2

do it ourselves in our driveway. so far anyway.

Marine Mom. Always Faithful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Britta92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Britta92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Britta92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #59
thomascreation
thomascreation is on a distinguished road

In my own shop on my lift

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thomascreation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thomascreation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thomascreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #60
thebragginator
thebragginator is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

What will everyone do when saturn goes away soon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thebragginator's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thebragginator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thebragginator is offline   Reply With Quote