SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Polls and Questions
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Where Do You Most Often Get Your Saturn Serviced?
My local retailer 55 53.92%
National auto repair chain 2 1.96%
Small independent shop 9 8.82%
I do it myself 36 35.29%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Question Where Do You Get Your Saturn Serviced?

I saw a similar topic in the S-Series forum, and thought it would make a good site-wide poll: Where do you most often get your Saturn serviced for routine maintenance? Do you take it to your local retailer, a national auto repair chain, a small independent shop, or do you do it yourself? Why? Post your thoughts.

Thanks!
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2
Default Re: Where Do You Get Your Saturn Serviced?

As funny and weird as this may sound...I use my retailer (I'm good friends with the Service Managers...they have helped me out a great deal in the past)...to get just oil changes done. If they tell me something needs to be replaced...I'll look it up in my Factory Service Manuals and repair/fix it myself. I'll usually buy the parts from Rockauto.com for a price discount too.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Saturn#5
Saturn#5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

I didn't always go back to my dealer for service until one morning when my 95 SL2 didn't start and I took it to my local gas station. I figured it was something like the battery or alternator. After leaving it with them for the day they called me and said that both battery and alternator checked out find and there was no outward reason for the car not to start. They assumed that the timing belt snapped and that they would have to take apart the engine at a cost of several thousands of dollars. I called my local Saturn dealership and told them the story and without a moments hesitation Bob, my Saturn Service person, told me he was 100% sure it was not the timing belt and that I should not let the gas station touch my car. I asked him how he could be so sure without looking at my car and his reply: "Saturn's DON'T have timing belts, you have a timing chain that cannot break! By this time it was 4:55pm and the Saturn service closed at 5pm, Bob told me that they would wait for me to get the car there and I immediately had it towed to Saturn.

Turns out it was a $25 sensor that had burnt out preventing the car from starting!

I go back to my dealer because I am treated right by them and they are really the only ones who know Saturns!

Other GM dealerships take note! Saturn owners don't put up with just being another number...

Saturn#5

Saturn car history:
1995 SL2
2002 LW200
2005 ION
2007 VUE
2008 Astra

HEY GM...KISS MY ASTRA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn#5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

I use my retailer because I work for the retailer. Drop off the car, go sell cars, pick up car later. Good deal, everyone's happy.

"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didn’t have any, chances are you won’t have any either."- Jackie Mason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanm326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanm326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I use a retailer. I liked the treatment I experienced when I was in for service. It was always nice seeing a friendly face and felt confident that I would be taken care of. I eventually went to work for a retailer and during that time, saw how some independent shops messed up one of the easiest vehicles to work on, the S-Series. Now that I live in a new city and not knowing anyone, I immediately went to a retailer. That way all the work is stored electronically and if any issues come up with my vehicle, I have a better chance of it being fixed correctly and timely. Plus I have extended coverage on both my Saturns so why go anywhere else?

In addition, the relationship one builds with a facility both service and sales wise can create some great rewards!

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
angelaw
angelaw is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2002 SL2

We do most of it ourselves. Alignments to the dealer as well as some dealer only parts. Have a local shop for stuff we don't want to mess with. So 90% us, 8% local, 2% dealer since they're the furthest away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angelaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angelaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
yogi
yogi is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

I go to get my service done on my Outlook at my Local Saturn dealer(Saturn Of London) where they treat me with the utmost courtesy and always greeting me by my first name there service department is 2nd to none . Always get it right .I hope this doesnt mean the end of them.Will miss them greatly.

2008 Outlook XR FWD Red Jewel
Ontario, Canada

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yogi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yogi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
chops
chops is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

I used to have my girlfriend drop it off at the retailer that's just down the street from where she works...until it shut down abruptly about a month ago.

Since the nearest retailer now is about an hour away, she and I have basically decided to save them only for warranty work. I have enough confidence to be able to change my own oil, and for the rest there's a small shop next to where I work.

My dad basically takes his LW300 to a local shop for most non-warranty stuff. They've never done wrong by him and he gets a good deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #9
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Where Do You Get Your Saturn Serviced?

As my moniker implies, I do it all myself with the sole exception of smog checks (which I would do if it were legal for me to do so). So my mix is 99.75% me, 0% dealer, 0.25% state smog inspection stations. This includes basically every vehicle we have owned for the last 30 years, not just the Saturn (yes, the BMW too).

I could cite literally dozens of examples of why I do this, but the bottom line is that I'd rather spend almost any amount of money on the proper tools to do a repair job and then do it myself as opposed to paying (and trusting) someone to do it for me.

At least I know precisely what was done (and how) and then I own the tools for next time. Moreover I learn why something failed, why it might fail again, and possibly how to improve upon it so it won't fail as soon.

And if it gets messed up the first time, I have no one else to blame.

But that's me......

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
jmplt
jmplt is on a distinguished road

I used to get my Saturn serviced at the dealership. However, after my last two experiences, the only time I'll go there again is for warranty work. The first time was an oil change and they tried to charge me for 10 quarts of oil, 5 quarts of synthetic and 5 quarts of regular plus 2 oil filters. Against my better judgement, I went back the next time (I had a coupon for $75). This time I was quoted a price of $85 for the oil change, but when I got the bill it was for $125! They were clearly trying to rip me off. I will never go back to a Saturn dealership for service, and it looks like I won't have to worry about ever buying another Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmplt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmplt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
k1rod
k1rod is on a distinguished road

Anywhere but the dealer. At $110/hr + 15% shop supply fee, I can only inerpret that as gouging. I take it to the local Meineke where they charge me $70 /hr and use NAPA parts which are half the price of OEM parts. Recently, I've had them do motor mounts, radiator, and even had them install my new transmission valve body. Good work at a fair price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k1rod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k1rod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k1rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #12
athynz
athynz is on a distinguished road

At the local dealer where I bought my Vue... the service is excellent and the people there go the extra mile to make sure things are right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to athynz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help athynz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
athynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #13
Johnny84
Johnny84 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2009 VUE 3.6L

I won't take my Aura anywhere but my local Saturn retailer for the following reasons:

• Our Shopping experience was great!
• We are always greeted with a smile and treated with respect.
• Their service prices are reasonable
• They are less than a half mile from my office.
• They are open until midnight Monday–Thursday
• Complimentary shuttle service: They will drop us off and pick us up at home or work
• Complimentary car wash and vacuum after service
• They give us a follow up call the next day to make sure we are completely satisfied.

I know enough about cars to know when I'm being ripped off. I have had some terrible experiences at other GM dealers in the past but feel I can trust the team at Saturn of Dayton. I will use their service department as long as I can.

Now: 2008 Saturn Aura XE, 3.5L V6, Cream White
Then: 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT, 3.4L V6, Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Johnny84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Johnny84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Johnny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

The maintenance has been done by me.
The two warranty issues have been fixed at the dealer.
From now on all repairs/maintenance will be done by me unless I can't do them.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #15
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

When I had my Saturns, I was still living in apartments, so it was a good cross between my local dealer and some place like Valvoline or Pep Boys. I did my own tranny flushes with some help from Unkle Bik.

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #16
SinCitySaturn
SinCitySaturn is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I saw a similar topic in the S-Series forum, and thought it would make a good site-wide poll: Where do you most often get your Saturn serviced for routine maintenance? Do you take it to your local retailer, a national auto repair chain, a small independent shop, or do you do it yourself? Why? Post your thoughts.

Thanks!
Charlie
I take our Saturn's to our local Dealership (Saturn Of West Sahara) because I have a great relationship ( and trust) with my service writer and whatever the issue is, it's handled the first time correctly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SinCitySaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SinCitySaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SinCitySaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #17
EricSaturnSC2
EricSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

When I lived in Terre Haute, I would let Saturn of Terre Haute do all of my oil changes and what-not, because I am just not a "car" guy. I drive 'em, but I dont work on 'em. I could get an oil change for $21.95, any day of the week, without an appointment... just drive on in and get 'er done. They'd even offer me a loaner for the afternoon if it was going to take more than about 30 minutes. I had a fantastic 4 year relationship with Saturn of Terre Haute, and I miss it dearly.

I have since moved to Indianapolis, and have let Saturn of Indianapolis so far do my oil changes and service work. Unfortunately, I am going to start going elsewhere for my oil changes. Earlier this year it was about $32 for an oil change, which was higher than Terre Haute, but I "lived" with it. However, my past two oil changes have been $37.95 -- Ouch! I want to support my local dealership, especially in this time of uncertainty, but I just can not justify the high cost.

Ohwell, I still love my SC2.
~~Aryq~~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EricSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EricSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EricSaturnSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #18
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I was taking it to the local Saturn dealer down the block from my office, where I purchased it. They closed November 26. For warranty work I now plan to take it to the local Chevrolet dealer, just across the street from my office. Or I will do it myself. I was doing oil changes at the Saturn dealer for the convenience. I will now take it to Valvoline, where I have my other cars done. I was purchasing parts and accessories from my Saturn dealer. I have been now ordering via the Internet. I will not drive the additional distance to the next nearest Saturn dealer, it is just not worth the effort. I work at an office location with over 10K employees, and there are literally hundreds of Saturns in the lot - including at least 3 new ones in the past few months parked within 100 feet of my spot. Saturn is losing a LOT of business by closing this dealer. I just heard that an Indian motorcycle dealer bought the dealership and is remodeling it to open in a few months in time for the spring cycling sales season. It will be right next to one of the largest Harley Davidson dealers in the Midwest.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:08 AM   #19
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSaturnSC2 View Post
I have since moved to Indianapolis, and have let Saturn of Indianapolis so far do my oil changes and service work. Unfortunately, I am going to start going elsewhere for my oil changes. Earlier this year it was about $32 for an oil change, which was higher than Terre Haute, but I "lived" with it. However, my past two oil changes have been $37.95 -- Ouch! I want to support my local dealership, especially in this time of uncertainty, but I just can not justify the high cost.
To be fair, the price of oil did rise considerably this year. I paid about $22 just for the oil and filter when I did it myself in November.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #20
EricSaturnSC2
EricSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
To be fair, the price of oil did rise considerably this year. I paid about $22 just for the oil and filter when I did it myself in November.

I do understand that... but Saturn of Terre Haute still offers a $24.95 oil change. Big difference from $24.95 up to $37.95. At least for my wallet.

~~Aryq~~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EricSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EricSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EricSaturnSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote