SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Going Big in the Saturn Outlook

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Going Big in the Saturn Outlook

Quote:
Trevor Hofmann from the Canadian Auto Press: I already knew that the General's Lambda-based crossovers were pretty special, and while the Outlook is more entry-level than Buick's Enclave, it's still impressively outfitted with standard soft-touch plastics, aluminum-look interior accents and high-quality fabric seats, not to mention standard air conditioning, power windows, power locks with remote access, and the list goes on. The standard feature that most impressed me, however, is interior spaciousness.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
angelaw
angelaw is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2002 SL2
Default Re: Going Big in the Saturn Outlook

Looked at the Outlook, read the forums on here. Spoke to service dept. Decided not to get one yet as they still are having problems with transmissions. Svc said they doubt it would ever be perfectly fixed. Kinda like the issue with the heads on SOHC s series. I decided to wait. I got a Tahoe instead after having a suburban previously. Never had anything go wrong on the burb, hoping for the same on the Tahoe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to angelaw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help angelaw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
saturn7
saturn7 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Angelaw don't know what type of transmission problems your talkng about. The tranny issues were put to bed in anything post 10/07. I have an XR 08, never had a tranny issue. My friend has an Enclave 08 never had a tranny issue. IMHO the Tahoe is an over rated truck with a cap on the back. Iv'e tested one and its rides the same as my Sierra. The outlook is car based. My friends who I've chauffered around time to time were amazed at the car quietness, roominess and how plush everything was... Enjoy your Tahoe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #4
Ryster
Ryster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn7 View Post
Angelaw don't know what type of transmission problems your talkng about. The tranny issues were put to bed in anything post 10/07. I have an XR 08, never had a tranny issue. My friend has an Enclave 08 never had a tranny issue. IMHO the Tahoe is an over rated truck with a cap on the back. Iv'e tested one and its rides the same as my Sierra. The outlook is car based. My friends who I've chauffered around time to time were amazed at the car quietness, roominess and how plush everything was... Enjoy your Tahoe.
truedelta.com is littered with numerous owners reporting transmission problems on their Lambdas. Leaks, shift problems/hesitation, software updates needed, software updates not working, etc. I believe Angelaw's service department was making reference to the software/shift points of the transmission never being perfectly right.

I also looked into getting an Outlook/Acadia/Enclave/Traverse, but there are simply too many concerns. Considering GM is entering the 3rd model year for these vehicles, the problems should have been mostly ironed out by now. However, I do not think that is the case.

Now, for '09, GM has added the Direct Injection engine on top of a potentially troublesome transmission (whether it be mechanical or software related.)

Just too many variables to overlook.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
I believe Angelaw's service department was making reference to the software/shift points of the transmission never being perfectly right.
The new transmission update SUCKS. There are too many times when I put my foot down to get out of a potentially dangerous situation and NOTHING HAPPENS; either no shift-down or the tranny shifts down too far. The result is the same: no acceleration. Ugh.

The only "fix" offered is an update that apparently only moves all of the shift points, which would take my already bad fuel economy and make it worse. That's not a fix, that's a band-aid (and a crappy one, at that).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
lewisr
lewisr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald View Post
The new transmission update SUCKS. There are too many times when I put my foot down to get out of a potentially dangerous situation and NOTHING HAPPENS; either no shift-down or the tranny shifts down too far. The result is the same: no acceleration. Ugh.

The only "fix" offered is an update that apparently only moves all of the shift points, which would take my already bad fuel economy and make it worse. That's not a fix, that's a band-aid (and a crappy one, at that).
We are very happy with ours. Even more so after the May trans update. Fuel economy did NOT suffer. All this being said, we have not been in any potential dangerous situations which required us to put our foot down. Our fuel economy is 18-19 mostly city driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lewisr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lewisr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lewisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
FalconXR
FalconXR is on a distinguished road

I bought my 07 Outlook AWD XR in Febuary of 07, one of the first in my area with this wonderful vehicle. I had the Tranny reprogramming completed in 07 after it came out and my Outlook has run beautifully since. I'll agree that it was a little sluggish in the beginning, with the original software, but it was programmed with fuel economy in mind. Frequent hitting the pedal to pass or being aggressive won't work in the Outlook with the previous software. The software upgrade did fix this, although it doesn't have the same power as stomping on the pedal in my old Durango R/T; then again I didn't buy thr Outlook with speed in mind.

I had a small leak in the sunroof that was repaired but other than that and the tranny software my Outlook has been flawless. I love the looks, styling, interior, comfort, spacious cabin, features, and I have loads of friends that find it hard to believe it is a Saturn.

Anyway, I guess this forum is like most, you'll hear lots of complaints but few compliments.

Peace

Outlook XR AWD
Charcoal Gray
Black Leather w/ 2nd row Captain chairs
Loaded w/ everything but DVD and Nav

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FalconXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FalconXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FalconXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Harald

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR View Post
Anyway, I guess this forum is like most, you'll hear lots of complaints but few compliments.
If you read the forums, you'll find that I (and others!) have been complimentary about many things.

Just not the transmission software. :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
lewisr
lewisr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You should try it. It had no effect on our fuel economy. Shouldn't knock it until you try it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lewisr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lewisr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lewisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #10
Dai_Shan
Dai_Shan is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Ya I have been pleasantly suprised with the response of the tranny after my upgrade to the transmission programming. Gas mileage didn't go down either.

Gas millage won't suffer if you are the type of driver that will just put the pedal down further until desired response is achieved.

2008 Outlook XR FWD - Blk Leather - Adv Conv. - Conv.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dai_Shan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dai_Shan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dai_Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #11
Harald

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai_Shan View Post
Gas millage won't suffer if you are the type of driver that will just put the pedal down further until desired response is achieved.
Well, as mentioned, my problem is that the tranny won't shift, and won't shift, and then suddenly jumps all the way down to a very low gear (I hit 6000rpm at 100kph yesterday .

Are y'all talking about the latest general transmission update (which I have), or the special tuning parameters available if you beg your service tech for them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2008, 06:47 PM   #12
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Information Re: Going Big in the Saturn Outlook

Quote:
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion -- I had the opposite happen with mine. Our Outlook was reflashed with the SW that changes the shift points the last time it was in for routine service. It shifts noticeably better now with no negative change in fuel economy (actually, average MPG has gone up slightly since the change). Hopefully, you'll have the same results.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #13
Qwesterman
Qwesterman is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Sorry, but I have to agree on the transmission issues. I have had all of the SW updates and I still experience lag when I switch lanes and try to accellerate quickly. I am not an agressive driver by far but when I need it to go I would like it to respond and not drop to a much lower gear, boost the revs up to the 6000 mark and actually slow the vehicle down. Other then that I am enjoying the transmission and engine quite well.

07 Outlook XE AWD
White
Cold weather Pkg
Preferred Pkg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qwesterman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qwesterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Qwesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
RedL300
RedL300 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

I am currently in PA on business and have a Rental XE..I was happy to get it as I have never driven one and been curious..It's roomy and nice enough,but today,while driving to BWI airport in the rain,I had to do a quick lane change..Punched the accelerator..Nothing.Just a spike on the tach and a lot of noise.Kinda scary under those conditions. I was disappointed.Oh well..Can't afford one anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedL300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedL300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedL300 is offline   Reply With Quote