SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
mchappell
mchappell is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Headlight - bulb or circuit issue?

In another thread, CHUNDA2 said:

Quote:
My front headlight went out about a week ago and I asked them to fix it. Low and behold...ANOTHER KNOWN PROBLEM!
I replaced my driver side headlight at the end of October (FYI - there's no reason replacing a headlight bulb should be this difficult!). I thought it was odd that a bulb went out after only 18 months, but stuff happens. Couple of weeks later, it went out again. Couple of days later, it came back on, and was fine until last Thursday. Before I go throught the nightmare bulb replacement again, could you explain what you meant by "ANOTHER KNOWN PROBLEM"?

I'm due to go to the dealer in the next few days to have a window switch replaced, and if there's some info about the headlights, I'd like to go in armed with any useful info.

Thanks,

Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mchappell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mchappell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mchappell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
RL2NV
RL2NV is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Headlight - bulb or circuit issue?

We've actually replaced a headlamp assembly on a outlook before due to the harness inside the headlamp being faulty. You cannot get the harness seperate so you have to replace the whole headlamp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RL2NV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RL2NV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RL2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
outlookowner
outlookowner is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Information Re: Headlight - bulb or circuit issue?

The HID headlights, both passenger and drivers side, on my 2007 Outlook XR have started experiencing intermittent operation. One or both sides would go out under just about any condition; parked, driving down the road, etc. The failure comes and goes. If a headlight goes off it can be made to come back on by cycling the headlight control switch so the automatic control is turned off then back on again. You can also get the headlight to come back on by placing the headlight switch in manual on. Leaving the headlight switch in manual on doesn't stop them from going off.

I asked the local Saturn service center if they could repair the problem under my extended factory warrantly. Today I was told the headlights wiring does not fall under that warranty. They also said they heard the problem is in the connector between the headlight assembly and the wiring harness. They didn't elaborate on what the problem was and I didn't ask. The suggested solution is to replace the headlight assemblies (quoted approximately $850.00).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlookowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlookowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlookowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
djhhjd
djhhjd is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlookowner View Post
The HID headlights, both passenger and drivers side, on my 2007 Outlook XR have started experiencing intermittent operation. One or both sides would go out under just about any condition; parked, driving down the road, etc. The failure comes and goes. If a headlight goes off it can be made to come back on by cycling the headlight control switch so the automatic control is turned off then back on again. You can also get the headlight to come back on by placing the headlight switch in manual on. Leaving the headlight switch in manual on doesn't stop them from going off.

I asked the local Saturn service center if they could repair the problem under my extended factory warrantly. Today I was told the headlights wiring does not fall under that warranty. They also said they heard the problem is in the connector between the headlight assembly and the wiring harness. They didn't elaborate on what the problem was and I didn't ask. The suggested solution is to replace the headlight assemblies (quoted approximately $850.00).

$850.00 that sounds to me like a dealership trying to rip a guy off! I would read your extended warrenty contract closely just to make sure and check a quality auto accessories/ place that does sell and install aftermarket goodies and see how much they would charge to find the problem and fix that alone instead of replacing both headlight assemblies. JMHO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djhhjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djhhjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djhhjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

they are lying to you. factory extended warr does cover that. it wouldnt c0over the bulb if that was the problem but it does cover problem with the light assembly including the harness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Ryster
Ryster is on a distinguished road

If you have the Major Guard GMPP plan, the wiring should be covered.

It may be covered under Value Guard, but it depends on what category the headlight wiring falls under. For example, Value Guard covers wiring harnesses that are considered part of the electrical system, however it does not cover any components considered Safety Systems (such as DRLs). Because the problem you are experiencing is a wiring harness attached to a safety system, it becomes a gray area.

Basic Guard does not cover wiring harnesses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
mchappell
mchappell is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Wouldn't the bumper-to-bumper cover this? Or are you over the mileage?

Anyhow, I pulled the second bulb to 'fail', and it, as I thought, wasn't the bulb. One of the terminals on the bulb is blackened, and the wiring harness connecter is melted and deformed. So, off to the dealer.

GM seems to have a problem with headlights. Our 2000 Suburban spent most of its life with at least one of the DRLs burned out. Pretty much every Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon that I see from the generation has at least one light burned out.

Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mchappell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mchappell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mchappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #8
outlookowner
outlookowner is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Thumbs Up Re: Headlight - bulb or circuit issue?

At the suggestion of the local Saturn dealer's Service Manager I called Saturn Customer Support and registered a complaint about the headlight problem not being covered by my full coverage service plan. They called me back 24 hours later stating the repair had been authorized. The repair is scheduled to be completed next Monday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlookowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlookowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlookowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
sgort2
sgort2 is on a distinguished road

how involved is the bulb replacement? remove the front bumper cover or remove the inner fender to get access to the bulb?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sgort2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sgort2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sgort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
jeremiahcrum
jeremiahcrum is on a distinguished road

Luckily for me my local Saturn dealer closed down so I had to take it to the Chevy place. They pulled it in and replaced the headlight assembly under warranty no questions asked. I'd call around to the GM dealerships and find what appears to be the friendliest service center and use them.

BTW. The bill was just over 300 but, like I said covered under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeremiahcrum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeremiahcrum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeremiahcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
jeremiahcrum
jeremiahcrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgort2 View Post
how involved is the bulb replacement? remove the front bumper cover or remove the inner fender to get access to the bulb?
4 or 5 screws in the front half of the fender well. Get ready for nerve damage. Turn your tire inward. If you aren't a contortionist or car saavy go ahead and take the wheel off. Don't forget jack stands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeremiahcrum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeremiahcrum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jeremiahcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
bigbfarm
bigbfarm is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SW2

Do you know how involved it is to fix a headlight on a saturn vue 2004. I think it is just the bulb inside. I would like an idea about how hard it would be to fix it. let me know if you know how?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbfarm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbfarm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE
Question Re: Headlight - bulb or circuit issue?

related hmmmm ? ;

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...97#post1580097

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
Frosty3894
Frosty3894 will become famous soon enough

So, now my Drivers side bulb goes out. I called the dealer. Spoke to the service guy, he is going to order a new drivers side harness under warranty and call me when it comes in and replace it. So as far as paying for a headlight fix.... I would raise holy hell if the dealer asks you to pay for it, if you have a warranty!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frosty3894's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frosty3894 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frosty3894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
ArnieLerma
ArnieLerma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahcrum View Post
4 or 5 screws in the front half of the fender well. Get ready for nerve damage. Turn your tire inward. If you aren't a contortionist or car saavy go ahead and take the wheel off. Don't forget jack stands.
How right you are, with a bit of help from the wife holding the plastic of the fender well down, I fixed my Saturn Outlook, 500 miles out of warranty...

The connector on the harness was burned up, so I replaced the bulb and used a $3.99 set of push on terminal clips that I found at pep boys that fit the H11 lamp perfectly.
These clips are Pepboys PN 84347

The original bulb was okay but the contacts for it were all burnt up and blackened, so I bought a new H11 bulb plus a $3.99 blister pack of clips "mini Male-20-18" I dont know why they say "male" cause they are female.... go figure

There were a lot of OEM bulb sockets but none for H11's - the manager said that the newest patent sockets had not been "OK'd" for OEM yet.

I sat on the floor and looked through stock for 30 minutes before I found the perfect fit. I demanded perfect fit cause halogens run HOT and if there is any resistance at the connector, the connector becomes a toaster...and burns up everything...

Had this $3.99 part not worked I would have had to take it to the dealer and pay hundreds to have the whole harness replaced....

I was disappointed to see that the wiring they used appeared to be 20 gauge or 22 gauge stranded and it appeared to be a kind of wire called half hard copper - a hardened form of copper alloy.I used 16 gauge hi-temp aircraft wire and cut 2 - 8 inch lengths and crimped them to the connectors I found at pep boys and then soldered them and pushed them onto the lamp pins.

I cut off the burned up connector and then using a small box-cutter blade, cut off the insulation (tough stuff) and then spliced it to the new wires using orange wire nuts.

Though I did not seal the end, the whole gizmo is in a sealed compartment anyway, if I was to seal it, Id use a Q tip and spread a little motor oil on the inside of the connector body NOT the contacts, and then fill it with RTV Silicone... presto you have a new connector body!

Oh, total time, including shopping time was 1 and half hours.

Total cost including the bulb was $16

And yeah I have some scratches, but I saved a bundle, hope you do too and I do not look forward to doing this again.

------------------

To the guy with intermittent problems - better do this before the harness burns up so bad theres nothing left unoxidized to splice to...

Last edited by ArnieLerma; 06-19-2010 at 09:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArnieLerma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArnieLerma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ArnieLerma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
bucky11482
bucky11482 is on a distinguished road

My father and I replaced the light today. He has been a dealer of lease turn in GM cars for 25 years now. There is a much easier way than removing the bumper assembly. There are 4 small screws in the wheel well that will remove the plastic fenders above the wheel. From there all you need to do is reach up, remove the plastic cover by turning it 1/2 a turn to the left if your on the drivers side, or right if your on the passengers side. From there all you need to do is reach up and unclasp the light from the two pronged clip it is housed in. When installing the replacement, make sure that you do not touch the bulb with your fingers. I used a fine grade paper towel. Turn the car on a put it in drive with someone watching the light to see if it works. Replace the round plastic cap and put the plastic fender back together. Much faster and easier than taking off the bumper. Much cheaper than having a dealership do it for you. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bucky11482's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bucky11482 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bucky11482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #17
MyOutlook
MyOutlook is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

It is for sure the headlight wiring harness. Have had to have both of my headlights done....wiring harness totally melted! Don't waste any more money on bulbs!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyOutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyOutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyOutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #18
schreckman
schreckman is on a distinguished road

This happened to mine as well. I had to buy the harness from the dealer and change it out. The end of the harness melted. I hear it is a common problem and let me tell you it is no fun to change!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schreckman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schreckman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
schreckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
alison
alison is on a distinguished road

This recently happened to my passenger side low beam headlight, and I was told it was the wiring harness. It was going to cost $185 (plus the $30 I originally paid for the bulb that promptly blew out after they replaced it) to replace the wiring harness, but after I called Saturn's customer service there was no charge. My vehicle was not under warranty (too many miles), but the customer service rep worked out a deal with the Chevy dealer.

If this happens to you, save yourself the trouble of replacing it yourself (unless you enjoy that sort of thing) and call Saturn. They were extremely helpful in this situation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alison's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alison reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #20
08Carbon
08Carbon is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE

Add me to the list of burned connectors. Driver's side went out this past weekend. I replaced both the headlight socket and bulb for $22.93 from Napa Auto Parts.
I probably did not need to replace the old bulb, but I did not want to risk having to remove the tire and fender well plastic a second time.

Here's the link for the headlight socket - http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...143_0328449352

I did take the tire off to make it easier to get my hands up behind the light housing. I have a floor jack, so that's no big deal.

All work done in less than one hour.

Hope this helps.

2008 Saturn Outlook XE - Purchased 2/16/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08Carbon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08Carbon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote