SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
atlas4711
atlas4711 is on a distinguished road

Default P1516/p2101

The thermometer drops below freezing and like clockwork, my car has problems.

Today was 24F and dry. I had already driven 16 miles when the engine kicked in to reduced power mode and coughed up codes P1516 (which it did last year in similar weather conditions) and P2101. I just had the throttle body replaced for another problem I was having, so I would think the throttle actuator control module would have at least been checked even if it wasn't part of the throttle body itself.

Is there a way to get this car to function properly and reliably in sub-freezing temperature (mostly 0-32 F, but occasionally below 0)?

The other problem I'm having is the ignition interlock system not recognizing my key and locking out the ignition for five minutes at a time. I'm told the problem is the gel in the sensor freezes or stiffens and takes significantly longer to recognize the key. The key is still razor sharp, so it's not a worn key. Any way to bypass the interlock or get it to function better?

Does Saturn realize that some of their customers don't live in Tennessee??? (I live in New Hampshire and work for a business whose headquarters are near St. Paul, Minnesota. They won't be calling a snow day anytime before the next ice age...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atlas4711's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atlas4711 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atlas4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: P1516/p2101

my car and many others are dead reliable in the winter, however plenty others have had the dreaded ignition switch problem. I've mentioned on other posts that there is no excuse why the grease used in these ignition switches made it past the design stage, but unfortunately I don't work for GM. I don't know what year your car is (please fill out your info) but if it's in warranty or just out of warranty, you can get it replaced free.They have supposedly switched to a better grease, so changing it out would be an effective solution, but there is no bypass. Anything causing your poor ion not to perform in the winter is purely a problem, not a trait, mine did just fine in -23 degree weather last year coming from TN (where I got the car) and everything. as far as the codes, your throttle pedal assembly is bad, or your ECU, but that's unlikely. Unfortunately, not every dealership thinks the same way as your well informed owner, they should have run a diagnostic on the whole throttle by wire system, but that doesn't mean they did. I just ad a similar issue today and had to tell a body shop that just because it's a plastic car doesn't mean that the gaps are supposed to be all crooked.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote