SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Onion
Onion is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Dazed No acceleration

I have a 99 SL2 1.9L DOHC.

From a complete stop when I step on the gas my RPM jumps to 2200 but I have no acceleration. If I am rolling down the road and slow down but don't completely stop (still going 10 miles an hour) I can still accelerate as it should. I just had the valve body replaced (had no first gear and BIG slam into rev), now I'm thinking it could be a fuel problem? Any suggestions.

Also have a vibration trough front end that I can feel under my feet during acceleration and decceleration???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Onion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Onion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: No acceleration

Other than cleaning the throttle body of crud that can make the linkages sticky, the throttle position sensor (TPS) may causing this runaway rpm. The next time it occurs, pull off the road and turn off the engine. If the re-start normalizes rpm's, the tps is faulty. Replace it.

Another possibility may be a cracked vacuum line; PCV valve tubing, emissions tubing, brake booster tubing, etc.. Use a spray can of throttle cleaner or brake cleaner and spray on all the vacuum lines while the engine's running and if the rpm's drop immediately, you've found the source of the vacuum leak. And last, maybe an intake manifold gasket leak, using the same method for vacuum leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Onion
Onion is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try when I get some nice weather (oh how I wish I had a garage )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Onion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Onion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
rickystarshine
rickystarshine has a spectacular aura aboutrickystarshine has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-2 Sedan

If what you are saying, is that while the engine is turning @ 2000= rpms, and the car does not move forward, or do so very slowly, I would say the problem is related to the transmision.
Did this start right after you changed the valve body? Who changed the valve body? Are you sure you had the right one installed?

Please reply with as much specifics of the original problem that caused you to change the valve body, an as much as you can tell us about the who, what, where & when of the new valve body instalation.

Thanks!

Rick

2005 ION 2 5 spd 202,155 miles
2001 SL1 Auto 298,252 miles
1997 Sl1 Auto 163,266 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rickystarshine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rickystarshine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rickystarshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion View Post
I just had the valve body replaced (had no first gear and BIG slam into rev), now I'm thinking it could be a fuel problem? Any suggestions.

Also have a vibration trough front end that I can feel under my feet during acceleration and decceleration???
If you didn't have these problems before the valve body was replaced you should take it back to where you had the work done and tell them there is a problem. They didn't do something correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote