SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default NY Times: With Saturn, GM Failed a Makeover

A new feeditems entry has been added:

NY Times: With Saturn, GM Failed a Makeover

Quote:
Micheline Maynard and Mary Chapman from the New York Times penned what is probably one of the most thorough analyses of Saturn with a historical perspective in recent memory. The article talks about significant events from Saturn's past that ultimately ended up transforming the company into the brand you see today.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Default Re: NY Times: With Saturn, GM Failed a Makeover

I think this article and the summary are spot on. Saturn as a concept and as a new way of doing business was a diamond in the crap pile that was GM. It never had a chance because GM never looked beyond the next quarter's earnings and SUV's and trucks were large money makers, so they rode the wave until they hit the wall.

How can anyone believe that GM, which has failed for 3+ decades at changing their business and operations, who killed Saturn as a concept they are trying to sell now for a temporary bailout loan, and who has executives who let petty politics and infighting control decisions and who have to be shamed into giving up executive perks by the media have any chance of becoming successful once again?

I'm cursed because my first car was an AMC Matador and I've only driven 2 Saturn's since then and both these car companies are going to enter the history books as dead companies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

I too want to thank Charlie for posting this. It is one of just a few articles I have ever seen that actually tell the real story of why Saturn was unable to achieve the origional goal. They were choaked out by GM. I actually think they did pretty well to do as well as they did with only on line of cars to sell.

Too bad the UAW leader was unable to convice GM to allow Saturn to be spun off as a separate company.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this, Charlie. Somehow the parallels escaped me. Spot on.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote