SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default GM Brand Makeover Leaves Saturn Out

A new feeditems entry has been added:

GM Brand Makeover Leaves Saturn Out

Quote:
Peter Valdes-Dapena, senior writer for CNNMoney.com, says that "in its new marketing structure General Motors has identified four 'core' brands. Two other brands might be dropped altogether and another has been relegated, officially, to 'niche' status."

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2008, 02:02 AM   #2
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Default Re: GM Brand Makeover Leaves Saturn Out

What they should do is realize that all their brands are niche and follow Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc., and pick TWO brands they want to save.

Something like Chevy for the average guy who needs econoboxes, midsize, and other vehicles and then Cadillac for the high end luxury segment.

It works for the Japanese because there is far less confusion and even a Honda is a nice car, just without all the bells and whistles of an Acura. Same thing for Toyota-Lexus and Nissan-Infinity.

GM is so idiotic and suffering so bad that I'd put a .45 hollow point into it's head to end the misery if it was an animal instead of a crap company.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Falconfire
Falconfire is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Problem is, Chevy has nothing that comes close to a top end Honda or a low end Accura. As nice as the high end Malibu is, it doesnt come close to luxury features a high end Accourd has. And vise versa there is NOTHING Caddi makes that comes close to how cheap entry level Accuras are. Buick though does have some stuff, but I would rather see GM improve Saturn a little bit more since they are SO CLOSE to having a interior that matches the sharpness of the exterior than try to convince 4 generations of people that Buicks are not stuffy old people cars with a average age of 90.

The problem with your idea is that GM has splintered their lines so much that they just dont HAVE anything atm capable of being split like a two brand company. 3-4 though is not bad either. Entry, mid-lux, high end, and commercial truck makes sense. Problem is with GMs plan there is still WAY too much overlap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Falconfire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Falconfire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Falconfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Saturn should be the third brand if GM kept more than two. It could be the Scion version of GM. Controlling inventory is what GM definately needs to learn

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Falconfire

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN View Post
Saturn should be the third brand if GM kept more than two. It could be the Scion version of GM. Controlling inventory is what GM definately needs to learn
Well thats basically the plan with Pontiac, which I dont blame them on. But its a loss less rational of "they have good cars" and a lot more "we cant let our original brands die, lets sacrifice the new guy!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Falconfire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

No doubt the way GM execs see it is that they gave Saturn dealers an entire line of fresh, competitive products, and they didn't achieve sales goals with any of them.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconfire View Post
As nice as the high end Malibu is, it doesnt come close to luxury features a high end Accourd has.
It doesn't? name something that's missing

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
No doubt the way GM execs see it is that they gave Saturn dealers an entire line of fresh, competitive products, and they didn't achieve sales goals with any of them.
Plus they are at dealers that only sell one brand of car, not cost effective

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Falconfire

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
It doesn't? name something that's missing
Even the new Malibu like the Aura and EVERY Chevy car pretty much has no TRUE nav system. Onstar is nice and all, but in 4 years of the added nav system you would have paid for the addition of one in the Accord. Thankfully the bluetooth complaint is negated but that was another sore subject as Onstar is again not a valid replacement for that unless your a Verizon customer like I am currently.

There is no coupe Malibu, though I guess technically you can overlook that with the Camaro coming out but before you couldnt It looks like GM might position the G6 as the alterna-malibu with the changes to Pontiac it plans, but again that means squat to the masses who dont know that when you can just step into a Honda dealer and see that.

The interior is still not of the quality of Honda. You can get REAL wood interiors on upper level Accords that you just cant get on a GM vehicle unless you buy a Caddi or Buick or have a dealer who does custom work (mine will add one for 500 dollars which is about the cost of the one Honda factory fits). The only sore spot I found in my Aura was again the interior, the stupid fit of the line between the doors and dash is just not acceptable for a 25,000+ car, and saving 200-300 bucks on plastic adds to that.

To my knowledge the new Malibu also does not have a rear-view camera or sensors.

And finally its only upon 2008, that GM caught up with the rest of the car producing world to add a damn iPod adapter, except half the dealers dont even KNOW IT. Its a checkoff option on the configuration sheet you get from Honda.

The only thing GM has over Honda is its cheaper and "just" as nice. But "just" doesn't cut it for a lot of buyers, not when your buying something thats 1/4 to 1/2 a persons yearly salary or more. Granted some people overlook this stuff. As I mentioned elsewhere my coworker loves my car and he's a 3 series owner. But I as a buyer saw these things. It was only though the deal I got in Sept from my dealer, and the offer to overlook the 2k left on my lease that I bought the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

It's a shame. However, I am not entirely surprised. There are many changes within GM and Saturn that could have been changed to insure success.

Saturns sales have been declining like everything else in this country, and it's a shame.

I will be sad to see Saturn go.

I don't really have much more to say. No excuses here. In my opinion, if you look at the facts, and the way the brand "rotted" from say 1995-2007ish, I say the writing was on the wall for Saturn years ago.

It really is a shame. I think a few changes could have saved GM, and more importantly Saturn.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

I would like to see the Vue replace the Chevy Equinox. At least the Vue has all of the GM powerplants unlike the chinese built 3.4 equinox. And why would GM waste money again using two powerplant 3.4 and 3.6 vs. cooperate wide 4 banger. more waste

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Saturnkid
Saturnkid is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2002 SL2
Sad Re: GM Brand Makeover Leaves Saturn Out

So sad .
If GM gets rid of Saturn, I'm buying a Mini Cooper as my next car. There are simply no other GM cars that I would consider buying.

2009 Astra XR 3-door, Salsa Red, 3,000 mi. as of 9/09
2007 ION2, Cypress Green, 56,000 mi. as of 9/09

Long Live Saturn!

Saturnkid

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnkid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnkid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
They did indeed give Saturn a line of nice new products. Unfortunately these products often had prices higher than many existing economy oriented Saturn owners were willing to pay. Capturing a new customer base is never an easy thing especially with a relatively small marketing and advertising budget. Unfortunately just as the Aura and new VUE seemed to start to gain a following, an economic crisis like none other seen for decades in the US hit the nation. Even if Saturn/GM had made the right product decisions at the time the decisions were made, they were snake bitten with the timing when it came to selling the vehicles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Yep, I'm sad to see them go too, if that happens! I'm a seller and an owner. I don't see myself selling another brand!

"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didn’t have any, chances are you won’t have any either."- Jackie Mason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanm326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanm326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
sl_don
sl_don is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
The interior is still not of the quality of Honda. You can get REAL wood interiors on upper level Accords that you just cant get on a GM vehicle unless you buy a Caddi or Buick or have a dealer who does custom work (mine will add one for 500 dollars which is about the cost of the one Honda factory fits). The only sore spot I found in my Aura was again the interior, the stupid fit of the line between the doors and dash is just not acceptable for a 25,000+ car, and saving 200-300 bucks on plastic adds to that.

I'm sorry but there is no real wood in the Honda or any Honda fro that matter. unless you pay 70 k or more on a Benz or a Jag you get plastic. the Honda interior is just as cheap as anything by GM its all plastic. even the Acuras are all plastic, same fro Lexus and Infinity even BMW gives you plastic. in fact real wood is disappearing from cars fast as it is becoming ever more impossible to form the wood to the contours of modern interiors.

the Cheap interiors crap comes from magazine edditors looking for stuff to complain about and frankly its starting to get very old. the interiors of the imports are no better.

If it isn't broken.........Your not trying hard enough

2002 SL first brand new car in my family since the 1981 Pontiac Phoenix (sold)
2004 Vue AWD V6 bought used (current)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl_don's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl_don reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #16
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Falconfire;1359377] And vise versa there is NOTHING Caddi makes that comes close to how cheap entry level Accuras are./QUOTE]

Have you driven a CTS? Ihave owned a new Acura CL and I now own a CTS, and I don't see anything better in quality in the Acura over the CTS. My partner has a new TL and it dosen't do anything my CTS won't do and my wood and leather is as just as good. If anything I like the ride and handling of the CTS better. GM should drop Pontiac and keep Saturn as its innovator and green division---with a full line of hybrids and alternative fuel cars. Chevy should make "family cars" and SUV's while GMC should make Larger trucks. Buick could be folded into Cadillac as something like the Lasalle companion division of Cadillac in the 1920's; older people who wanted a conservative upper middle class ride but didn't want to pay the Cadillac price could pick from the 1 or 2 "lasalle"models in the Cadillac showroom. Other than the G8, I don't see anything in the Pontiac lineup that GM hasn't already got in the other divisions, and that could be made into a "Lasalle"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #17
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

I'm sad to see Saturn go and Pontiac reduced to niche status, but since crossing over to the Dark Side (read Japanese brands) when replacing my wrecked SL2, I can't say 'if Saturn gets canned, I'm going over to Brand X'.

If GM makes it through this tough climate, I'd like to see one brand emerge from the BPG mix. Make it a mid-level bridge between Chevrolet and Cadillac. I don't care if they call it Buick, Pontiac, LaSalle or Opel, just get it done. GM should also make GMC all about commercial and light trucks. Chevy gets paired with Cadillac. GMC is aligned with the mid-level brand. The Sloan model should have been revised to reflect changing times eons ago.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #18
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl_don View Post
the Cheap interiors crap comes from magazine edditors looking for stuff to complain about and frankly its starting to get very old. the interiors of the imports are no better.
My parents have a 2008 Accord and I actually agree, it's nothing special. I'd say it's good enough, but I doubt it's any higher grade than what's in a new Aura or Malibu. (The G6 could use an update, though, at least on the center console!) I think my Legacy has a very nice interior for its class, but I don't necessarily think the materials are higher quality. I just like the color scheme and the layout better than, say, the Accord's.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:08 AM   #19
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnkid View Post
So sad .
If GM gets rid of Saturn, I'm buying a Mini Cooper as my next car. There are simply no other GM cars that I would consider buying.
No GM cars? that's a lot of cars.
A Mini Cooper is quite different than what you have now.
Sounds like you want a Mini regardless of Saturn's fate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #20
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Problem is, Chevy has nothing that comes close to a top end Honda or a low end Accura. As nice as the high end Malibu is, it doesnt come close to luxury features a high end Accourd has. And vise versa there is NOTHING Caddi makes that comes close to how cheap entry level Accuras are. Buick though does have some stuff, but I would rather see GM improve Saturn a little bit more since they are SO CLOSE to having a interior that matches the sharpness of the exterior than try to convince 4 generations of people that Buicks are not stuffy old people cars with a average age of 90.

The problem with your idea is that GM has splintered their lines so much that they just dont HAVE anything atm capable of being split like a two brand company. 3-4 though is not bad either. Entry, mid-lux, high end, and commercial truck makes sense. Problem is with GMs plan there is still WAY too much overlap.

The point is: If GM did not waste it's time screwing around making 4 versions of every product to satisfy dealers for so many different divisions and the marketing and costs that each version of the same damned old thing require, they would have enough cash and talent and market focus to build a knock out car or truck in each segment.With just two divisions.

Consider how much damage those fool Mini Vans did to each of GM's divisions. For the money they spent to build 4 versions of junk, they could have spent the money on a class leading one for Chevrolet. It was Cimarron Part II. 4 versions of the corporate cross over, 4 or more versions of the corporate mid size SUV including one for Saab. [and Isuzu or Suzuki or something or other], An Avalanche for Cadillac. The answers to questions no one asked GM just keep on coming. 5000 lb crossovers, sports cars that lose $10,000 on each unit sold, importing a small car for Saturn that costs more, gets worse mileage and loses money on every unit than the outgoing "inferior" ION. Stop the frigging insanity with all the brands.

GM's market share cannot sustain all 4 or 5 or 8 or however many brands and produce class leading, desirable products for each brand. And keep them current. And continually improving. They never bothered with Saturn after the initial launch, nor the update of the Cavalier in 95, nor the Cobalt, nor the 97 Malibu, the minivans or small pick ups. Let them all rot while they chased short term profits with SUVs and full size pick up trucks in a maddening array of versions and styles and options.

And when you see the 2020 Cruze, you'll be seeing the 2010 if GM lasts that long.

Sorry for the cynicism but I have watched this show for far too long to think that GM can do anything with Saab, Hummer, Saturn, Buick or Pontiac other than offer Opel clones for all or an SUV or crossover. Been there, did that, doesn't work, GM.

Perhaps they missed the boat by not offering Buick and Saturn and Cadillac and Hummer a version of the Aveo. A waste of time and money which GM does not have of course. But no doubt some genius at GM would have thought that was a great idea,leveraging our "global portolio' to the max.

Doesn't that ramble kind of reflect the sort of chaos and brand destruction GM has already done to itself ? That's why they only "need" two brands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote