SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Press Release: General Motors Corporation Restructuring Plan for Long-Term Viability

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=2713]Press Release: General Motors Corporation Restructuring Plan for Long-Term Viability[/drupal]

Quote:
General Motors today submitted a plan to use Federal bridge loans to create a leaner, more competitive company, one that is profitable and self-sustaining for the long term. The plan, submitted in response to Congressional hearings in November, includes a detailed blueprint for a successful, sustainable General Motors.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
specman
specman is on a distinguished road

Mad Re: Press Release: General Motors Corporation Restructuring Plan for Long-Term Viabil

If GM sells or shuts down Saturn, I will be likely to never look at buying another GM vehicle. My dissapointment in GM's decision to do so is larger than life. I love my Saturns, and no other GM brand will ever be able to replace them, at least not for me. I have owned seven(7) - yes seven Saturns. I have talked friends, family, and total strangers into buying Saturns (132 ppl to date). I have visited www.Saturnfans.com religiously and read every article posted to the news since the sites inception. I think GM needs to heavily reconsider what they choose to do with the Saturn brand. For if they do not, I for one, will likely stop supporting "all" GM brands.

Charlie you can pass this along to GM corporate and let them know that one person can and will make a difference.

Sincerly,
Lee Tutt
My current Saturn Inventory
1991 SL2
1993 SC2
1995 SL2
2002 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to specman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help specman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
specman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Press Release: General Motors Corporation Restructuring Plan for Long-Term Viabil

Quote:
Originally Posted by specman View Post
If GM sells or shuts down Saturn, I will be likely to never look at buying another GM vehicle. My dissapointment in GM's decision to do so is larger than life.
Same here. For GM to fail completely at capitalizing on the great potential of Saturn shows that the management is completely incompetent, and unworthy of a taxpayer funded bailout imho.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
mars_volta
Advanced Member
mars_volta is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Press Release: General Motors Corporation Restructuring Plan for Long-Term Viabil

so were going to steal money from our failing infrastructure to prop up GM?

GTFO

2005 Legacy GT LTD
94 SL2
95 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mars_volta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mars_volta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mars_volta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Wudman
Wudman is on a distinguished road

Owning a Saturn is one thing and from my point of "Vue" much appreciated. As a person who works for Saturn via a local dealership, "The call me Mr. Vue", it is disheartening to see in writing once again, what has been known for some time, that Saturn will go away. I have already answered a few calls today people concerned about how the "death" of Saturn will impact service and warranty! I doubt that this is going to help or December sales and we had a better November than October!
Sadly, Saturn has turned into a company that has only one uniquel product, the Vue, that doesn't have to be justified as a clone of some other GM product. The Astra, in my humble opinion has been mismanaged by GM. I think that dealers should have been strongly coached into ordering that car in it's most basic form, which by the way is well optioned with the exception of AC. If you loved your Ion or are finally retiring your SC/SL car, you have to really want a Saturn to buy the Astra if only because most of them are quite expensive. Frankly, why buy an Astra if you can get a Aura for the same price? I'd trade a few miles per gallon for a more powerful Aura if the money was within $1000 and in some cases the difference is less.
As far as a bailout, the only way I think any car company should get a dime from taxpayers is if any management that remains confesses to all their sins at a South African like "Truth and Reconcilliation" hearings. At those hearings, they could give back every dime they took above a base salary that represented actual company growth.
I work at Saturn because the "No haggle, No Hassle" policy which is enforced at my dealership, allows for a great customer experience. Clearly that policy is an issue if I have to sell an Aura against a Malibu or an Outlook against a Traverse, Acadia or Enclave. That also is a crushing factor in a tight economy when it comes to the much prettier Sky versus the Solstice. In our dealership family, we sell Pontiacs, Chevrolets and Buicks, and those guys will cut our throat with a price discount or other less friendly sales methods that are just not in our culture.
Clearly that must be one reason that Saturn will not survive no matter how I see blending the brands. At the very minimum, I could see GM rebranding the Vue as a Buick since the Rendevous is toast. With a hint that Buick will get the Opel products and no product development energy to re-invent Saturn for what it was suppose to be, I guess I will be refreshing my resume sooner than later.

Rocking S. Illinois on WDLJ 97.5 FM www.RadioFreeMojo.Com
Custom Web Design & SEO www.JohnLWood.Com
& Purveyor of Fine Saturn Cars @ Metro East Saturn, Fairview Heights, IL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wudman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wudman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
dennis marshall
dennis marshall is on a distinguished road

Today I went to my local Saturn retailer for a car wash. I have never seen the dealership so quiet. On the windshields were stickers , $5,000, off the list price. This would bring the price of a loaded Astra to 16,500 or thereabouts with sunroof, automatic and A/C. The two that there two weeks ago are still there a white 3 door and a metallic blue 4 door with sunroof. There were many new VUEs on the back lot.
I think that GM is being a penny wise and a pound short. My 2007 ION is one terrific car. Why GM decided to give Saturn the shaft is besides me. Look I know that Buick is the BIG SELLER in CHINA so why not let the Chinese have the entire Buick brand. Saturn has a lot of potential. The key I think is this- there are not as many Saturn retailers as there are for other GM brands. Therefore it would be cheaper to close them out and pay the dealers to shut their doors.
It is distressing to think that the people who work at my Saturn retailer could be out of work. I have known the service manager for nearly nine years ever since I bought my previous Saturn a 1997 SL 1 automatic back in 2000 from another Saturn store .I am sure that I could find another GM store to service my ION. Filters , brake pads and rotors will be available and I am sure that GM will honor my extended GM warranty. Hey lets face it they do not want to piss me off any further do they? Yet it will not the same. As my friend the service manager pointed out that sure the basic maintenance can be done by any GM dealer but who is going to be able to correctly read the codes if some more extensive work has to be done in the future? I know that regardless of what happens that after 2017 I will no longer have genuine GM parts available. That was the same with my 1997 SL 1 .
I will survive if Saturn goes the way of Packard. I will still drive my ION with pride. Besides I have three more years left on the loan. My plan was to keep this ION until 2017 at least and when my ship comes in go back to my Saturn retailer and buy a VUE or Outlook. At the least I would have gone to them to check out a used vehicle perhaps a 2005 or 2006 V6 AWD VUE. What truly stinks is that IT DID NOT HAVE TO END UP LIKE THIS! Charlie please let GM know that as far as many Saturn owners are concerned the senior management at GM , including perhaps Mr. Lutz, should be thrown off the roof from the Detroit GM headquarters building for this stupid bone headed decision. You what would be rich- a few years from know after the economy improves & GM settles down a Chinese auto company makes a very lucrative bid for GM. The board says OK and the vaunted GM ends up like Macys a part of a bigger organization never to be independent again. The new company then fires the whole lot of senior personal who avoided being back when GM went begging for funds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dennis marshall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dennis marshall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dennis marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
k1rod
k1rod is on a distinguished road

This entire restructioning proposal doesn't make sense. GM had to keep Chevy as it is the core of GM's bsiness. That's the only good move I see in this proposal. But GMC? Those are just smaller market rebadged Chevy's. Why save a redundant brand? Caddilac? When I was a kid, if you really made it in life financially, you drove a Caddy. Now if you really make it financially you drive a Lexus or BMW. Caddilac ruined their name with crap like the Cimeron. Even with Led Zepplin, I don't think it's coming back. A case could be made for trying to save it though. Buick? That seems even more incredulous to me. That just conjurs up images of very old men with big clumps of hair growing out of their ears, hunched over the steering wheel and doing 15 mph under the speed limit. Not good. How about this: save Chevy as the utility brand (Trucks, family sedans, station wagons, entry level economy cars etc), Pontiac, and make sporty road handling cars with suspensions, fit and finish of European cars, (Back to the Trans Am days only with precision and refinement instead of raw muscle) and Saturn with it's unique engineering, unique culture, plastic panels, homecoming events, no-haggle, maintenance training days, BBQ's and what was formerly (but not anymore) a much higher level of customer service from their dealership network. Saturn used to be a little counter culture (kind of like the original VW Beetle and Microbus) The Volt should be being made by Saturn in my opinion. I don't uderstand at all what GM is trying to do here......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k1rod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k1rod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k1rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Same here. For GM to fail completely at capitalizing on the great potential of Saturn shows that the management is completely incompetent, and unworthy of a taxpayer funded bailout imho.
What's the difference you've already said thousands of times that you weren't going to buy a steel Saturn anyways?

What great potential is there to capitalize on the Saturn brand? Seriously, someone please tell me. You all need to put down the kool aid and quit trying to bring an already dead horse back to life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
What great potential is there to capitalize on the Saturn brand? Seriously, someone please tell me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om9DXeycCco

Where did all those people go? Obviously they're not still buying Saturns. GM doesn't want that kind of customer loyalty anymore?

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote