SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default NY Times: GM Had Considered Selling Saturn Earlier this Fall, May Now Buy Out Saturn

A new feeditems entry has been added:

[drupal=2711]NY Times: GM Had Considered Selling Saturn Earlier this Fall, May Now Buy Out Saturn Retailers[/drupal]

Quote:
Bill Vlasic from the New York Times reported yesterday that GM is exploring the idea of "a significant shrinking of its North American operations, including shutting more factories and streamlining its sprawling brand lineup, according to people with knowledge of GM's deliberations. One move under discussion, for example, would have GM buy out dealers that exclusively sell Saturns and market the cars through its Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealers instead."

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: NY Times: GM Had Considered Selling Saturn Earlier this Fall, May Now Buy Out Sat

Like I said, never believe corporate execs. Didn't they publicly deny this at the same time a sale was reportedly being considered?

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
scotsman
scotsman is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: NY Times: GM Had Considered Selling Saturn Earlier this Fall, May Now Buy Out Sat

Well no matter how you slice it, it looks like "Game Over" for Saturn. After 17 years it's been a fun ride. Although it really changed when they ended the S car (never truly advanced it from 1991) and tryed to pull Saturn under the corporate umbrella. They were late with an SUV and were always behind the eight ball. Terrible product development at the end.
GM just didn't care and this will probably always be looked at as the beginning of the end for Saturn when it goes in the history books.

Owned 7 Saturns so far...not a bad memory in the lot.
Raise a glass in memory of Spring Hill!

2009 Aura XE
2003 Vue AWD 3.0
2000 SL2 5spd
1996 SL1 Auto
Former Saturns:
1999 SW2 5spd
1997 SL1 5spd (1st Saturn!)
1994 SL2 5spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

This article hints at the possibility of Saturn's Dealerships being bought back by GM.

I guess the future holds what will happen...

http://industry.bnet.com/auto/100042...o-win-bailout/

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

There's 5 Saturn dealers here in the San Diego area, all owned by the same owner. I wonder how they're feeling these days.

You really summarized it well Scotsman. Saturn was always playing catch up, either with the Japanese, the SUV craze, or whatever. The S car was a good, straightforward car when it first came out, but it fell behind the curve after several years and I don't think the ION was competitive in terms of ride, handling, quality, or gas mileage (I don't know about its reliability). They say it almost costs as much to build a small car as a large one, but you can charge twice as much for the large one. A division created to sell small cars doesn't stand much of a chance in the USA with our higher labor costs ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
They say it almost costs as much to build a small car as a large one, but you can charge twice as much for the large one. A division created to sell small cars doesn't stand much of a chance in the USA with our higher labor costs ...
That's a good point. But look at the very large number of Mazda 3's out there. That car is built in Japan, where labor may be cheaper but probably not by much, right? Then factor in the shipping costs. Does Mazda make a profit on the 3's sold here?

The Mazda 3 is what I think the S Series should have become - a high feature, sporty economy-class car offering luxury features that you don't typically find in that class of car. And it seems very successful. Everywhere I've traveled in recent years - Central America, Mexico, Canada, Europe - I've seen 'em in good numbers. I test drove one and almost bought one. Instead I got a Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited, and I actually gave up a couple of features that I would've gotten in the Mazda 3, like the in-dash navigation system. (Of course, I got AWD and a slightly more upscale car, more in line with the Mazda 6.)

The Saturn S Series was a high feature car for its class when it came out. But as the imports caught up, not only did Saturn stand still, but it went backwards. First GM eliminated rear disc brakes and started putting rear drums on all trim levels. Then, when the ION replaced the S, it had the torsion beam rear suspension. Lots of little items like the locking fuel filler door were eliminated. GM's small cars are built to feel cheap, not to feel like smaller versions of their more upscale offerings.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
That's a good point. But look at the very large number of Mazda 3's out there. That car is built in Japan, where labor may be cheaper but probably not by much, right? Then factor in the shipping costs. Does Mazda make a profit on the 3's sold here?

The Mazda 3 is what I think the S Series should have become - a high feature, sporty economy-class car offering luxury features that you don't typically find in that class of car. And it seems very successful. Everywhere I've traveled in recent years - Central America, Mexico, Canada, Europe - I've seen 'em in good numbers. I test drove one and almost bought one. Instead I got a Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited, and I actually gave up a couple of features that I would've gotten in the Mazda 3, like the in-dash navigation system. (Of course, I got AWD and a slightly more upscale car, more in line with the Mazda 6.)

The Saturn S Series was a high feature car for its class when it came out. But as the imports caught up, not only did Saturn stand still, but it went backwards. First GM eliminated rear disc brakes and started putting rear drums on all trim levels. Then, when the ION replaced the S, it had the torsion beam rear suspension. Lots of little items like the locking fuel filler door were eliminated. GM's small cars are built to feel cheap, not to feel like smaller versions of their more upscale offerings.

Yep! I really don't know how the Japanese make the economics work on small car manufacturing.. I am guessing that it isn't easy, but CAN be done if you are efficient and do everything right. And the Japanese are famous for just that.

I read an article in the paper a few years ago addressing the exact things you describe here - how American vehicles (and smaller ones in particular) have cheaper-quality materials than the same class/cost as the Japanese vehicles. The writer explained that the American firms' bean-counters know the competition, and come up with a target price that the cars is not allowed to go above. The company then engineers the vehicle as good as possible for that tgt price. The problem is, GM and other American manufacturers' labor was so much more expensive than the foreign firms' that they had to 'cut-corners' in other areas -- like materials. This is probably why we saw the drum brakes, non-locking gas cap doors, and inferior suspensions that you mentioned. Then throw in Toyota's legendary efficiency of eliminating waste (both material and labor... ) and there you have it. The American version, and especially the smaller vehicles where profit margins are razor thin, feel cheap because they are cheap!

I always got the impression that small cars were truly an afterthought at GM and something they really had no interest in building, but provided the cheap "econo-box" vehicles because people insisted on them. They were much more interested in selling higher end vehicles. But then the Japanese started building Lexuses, Infinitys, and Acuras, attacking them on their own higher-end base. The SUV craze kept them out of hot water for awhile, but now it's come down to quality and value. The only true advantage I see left of the American vehicles over the foreign ones is styling.

I always hate to say that this or that occupation is over- or under-paid, because what do I know? But as we see here, it's all relative.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
PA0304
PA0304 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB1 View Post
The problem is, GM and other American manufacturers' labor was so much more expensive than the foreign firms' that they had to 'cut-corners' in other areas -- like materials. .
As Daimler found out American white collar salaries knew no bounds. Search the salary of the head of Daimler then look at the VP salaries of American auto makers. How many cars do you have to sell to make up $10M in one man's salary? Pity is the Americans could do it, if those at the top weren't killing the golden goose, then labor knows this and goes the same route.

Top to bottom American execs need a head bashing. Perhaps the Awakening has begun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PA0304's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PA0304 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PA0304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
martlet
martlet is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
2008 VUE Green Line

Here is my email to the author of the article...
--
Micheline, Your article today regarding the past and future of Saturn is one of the few comments I have read on GM and in particular on Saturn that accurately presents the value of the Saturn brand and why GM would be taking just another step down the road to ruin should it close down the brand as has been reported. As the owner of three Saturn vehicles (since 1994), I have experienced a level of customer service and product reliability that had few equals. For years any visit to the service department was generally followed by a survey mailed to my home which guaranteed that the promised high standards were always delivered. I recall one year when the manager of the service department at my local dealer (Decatur, GA) posted a large handwritten sign asking anyone who thought they would enter a negative comment on their review to see him first. Alas the questionnaires along with the computer system which kept track of any maintenance done on my Saturn at any delearship across the nation has long been phased out as the company adopted corporate "no customer service" policies. In terms of the quality of the Saturn product I should mention that I purchased my last new vehicle, a Saturn Vue, within weeks of it's introduction because I knew that the quality of work from the Spring Hill Plant would produce a nearly defect free product from day one, a belief that I am proud to say has proven true. The final irony is that to succeed, GM must finally accomplish what it set out to do with Saturn, build a quality small car. I hope that the corporation realizes their best chance of achieving this is to drive it through the Saturn organization which had the promise and still has the potential to deliver the goal and keep me as a customer.
--

Warm regards

Scott

Atlanta Georgia (95 Sw2, 2002 Vue, also had a 94 sl2 once upon a time)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to martlet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help martlet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
martlet is offline   Reply With Quote