SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud ofCharlie has much to be proud of

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Breaking News: GM to Focus on Core Brands, "Explore Alternatives" with Saturn

A new story entry has been added:

Breaking News: GM to Focus on Core Brands, "Explore Alternatives" with Saturn

Quote:
General Motors presented a restructuring plan to Congress earlier this afternoon with hopes of receiving $12 billion in term loans that it believes will help ensure liquidity through the end of 2009. As part of the plan, General Motors revealed that it intends to focus on its "core brands" - Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC, and Buick. Pontiac will become a "specialty" brand that sells niche vehicles. Saturn, Saab, and Hummer will be closed or sold.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Breaking News: GM to Focus on Core Brands, "Explore Alternatives" with Saturn

What's sad is that the success of the original Saturn experiment is overshadowed by the failure of the standard GM model that replaced it in recent years. While Saturn may be viewed as a failure, it wasn't the original concept that failed. It was the "new" Saturn that became just another old school GM division.

On another note, it's a shame the government didn't bail out Loral after Bernie Schwartz ran the company into the ground and bet the farm on Globalstar! Maybe I'd still have a job! I guess if you're big enough, though, the government will reward failure with a taxpayer subsidized bailout...

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
dennis marshall
dennis marshall is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Breaking News: GM to Focus on Core Brands, "Explore Alternatives" with Saturn

:upset :Thanks a lot GM for walking away from Saturn. Nice to know that only that aren't producing IONs now they are thinking of doing away with Saturn altogether. I would rather see Buick go away than Saturn. Why isn't Saturn considered a core brand? I thought that Pontiac would outlast Buick now it is going to considered a niche brand? What are they smoking at GM headquaters anyway?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dennis marshall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dennis marshall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dennis marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis marshall View Post
:upset :Thanks a lot GM for walking away from Saturn. Nice to know that only that aren't producing IONs now they are thinking of doing away with Saturn altogether. I would rather see Buick go away than Saturn. Why isn't Saturn considered a core brand? I thought that Pontiac would outlast Buick now it is going to considered a niche brand? What are they smoking at GM headquaters anyway?
They have put down the Kool Aid and are finally seeing the big picture, the new Saturns are not selling. Others should do the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
They have put down the Kool Aid and are finally seeing the big picture, the new Saturns are not selling. Others should do the same.
I knew they wouldn't sell as well as the original Saturns, and I probably could have come up with a better business plan than the existing management. And I don't even have an MBA! Maybe they should take a look at why the original Saturns did sell...

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
LeeNY
LeeNY is on a distinguished road

I am shocked and sad about this news I hear all the bashing about Saturn geting away from the path it once was on However I think my Saturn Aura XR
is a fantastic car and at 57 I have driven and/or owned many different vehilces. I guess in the end it does not matter what I or others think about the car they own. I know am not impressed at all by what the Big 3 presidents have called a "rescue plan"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LeeNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LeeNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LeeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
04Pacific
04Pacific is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I really don't see a point to Buick. I think it would be more beneficial to give Buick the axe and market Saturns towards the younger crowd. But what the heck do I know...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04Pacific's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04Pacific reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Pacific View Post
I really don't see a point to Buick. I think it would be more beneficial to give Buick the axe and market Saturns towards the younger crowd. But what the heck do I know...
I almost never see new Buicks. I think I saw one Lucerne the other day when I was driving in heavy traffic. But I guess they like 'em in China!

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
dorseto
dorseto is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Breaking News: GM to Focus on Core Brands, "Explore Alternatives" with Saturn

There's no point of Saturn anymore. After the mess of L-series, Vues, and Ion, I gave up on the brand. Now its just another GM brand full of rehashes that overlaps with other GM brands (Chevy, Pontiac, and even GMC) in price.

Nobody in their right minds would buy the brand from GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorseto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
Satsational
Satsational is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

IMO, only way Saturn will survive is going back to its original roots and being GMs 'GREEN' environment brand with a full line of hyrbids and very fuel effecient cars

1996 SL1 5spd
2001 Grand Prix GTP
2008 G5 SE

www.focusfast.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Satsational's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Satsational reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Satsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Satsational
Satsational is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis marshall View Post

they finally have their heads on straight

pontiac needs to go, and has needed to go for some time. Reducing it to a small niche brand isnt that bad on an idea. oh yeah, good by G8.... but pretty much everyone knew that was coming!

Getting rid of Saturn does suck, but no way would a brand like Buick go (which sells cars and has a wel established market) before saturn did. Im hoping for a 'GREEN' saturn rebrand... but who knows what will happen,

1996 SL1 5spd
2001 Grand Prix GTP
2008 G5 SE

www.focusfast.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Satsational's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Satsational reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Satsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
dorseto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsational View Post
IMO, only way Saturn will survive is going back to its original roots and being GMs 'GREEN' environment brand with a full line of hyrbids and very fuel effecient cars
What's the point of going through *another* image change. I'm tired of the brand flip-flopping around its image. It's like the brand is full of identity problems. A big cluster-eff if you ask me.

Plus, even if its going to be GM's green brand, it will ALWAYS be overshadowed by something in GM's other brand and no way it can beat the 'greeness' of the upcoming Chevy Volt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 PM   #13
bkskatersd
bkskatersd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
You know more than Wagoneer! What you have said makes sense, but then sense isn't something that GM upper management has displayed for years. Do you think that folks who would never buy a Buick when they were young, suddenly have an emphany when they are 70 and go buy a Buick.

Let's face it, most Saturn buyers would never consider another GM brand. I figure that GM is still trying to figure out what to do with Saturn due to the terms of their franchise agreements. I'd be interested to hear from one of the folks from a Saturn dealer to get their opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bkskatersd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bkskatersd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bkskatersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
dorseto

Quote:
pontiac needs to go, and has needed to go for some time. Reducing it to a small niche brand isnt that bad on an idea. oh yeah, good by G8.... but pretty much everyone knew that was coming!
The G8 is a very nice product. It's basically Pontiac's saving grace right now. There's nothing in GM's domestic stables that shares the same underpinings with 4 doors, yet. It's pretty much confirmed the next Chevy Impala will stay FWD, so the G8 will stay safe for a while as far as uniqueness in the GM family.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
cosmo20769
cosmo20769 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2000 SL2
Mad Re: Breaking News: GM to Focus on Core Brands, "Explore Alternatives" with Saturn

Rick Wagoneer needs to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cosmo20769's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cosmo20769 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cosmo20769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #16
HtownVue
HtownVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkskatersd View Post
Let's face it, most Saturn buyers would never consider another GM brand.
hmmm....I am 30 years old and have owned two Saturns, an Ion and a Vue, and now am the proud owner of a 2009 BUICK Enclave. I was planning on buying an Outlook, but one test drive in the Enclave changed my mind.

Maybe I'm not "most Saturn buyers", but I am one that just bought a new car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HtownVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HtownVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HtownVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #17
s-seriesguy

Quote:
I have not seen a single person from the younger crowd driving an 08+ Saturn. Only middle aged women and old folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownVue View Post
Maybe I'm not "most Saturn buyers", but I am one that just bought a new car...
Same here. After owning 4 of them there's nothing in their current linup that would make me even think of going for 5. The 2010 Camaro SS is looking really interesting to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #18
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
oh yeah, good by G8.... but pretty much everyone knew that was coming!
G8 should have been the Impala and the G8 sport truck the El Camino or SSR take two. Let the new Malibu have the 20k FWD sedan range without internal competition and see if it flourishes or flounders.

Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda and Nissan seem to do fine with one entry covering 10K worth of pricing ground, heck, even Ford's Fusion isn't intruded upon by the Taurus (instead it is complemented), yet an aging FWD Impala (going on eight years now with only one MCE) horns in on Malibu turf.

The Malibu is the superior car right now, since the Impy's MS2000 chassis can't even accomodate a 6-speed automatic transmission. Ditto for the next LaCrosse, which is going to age the Lucerne, and not in a good way.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

Last edited by GR898SL2; 12-02-2008 at 09:20 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #19
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Since Saturn appears to now be headed in Olds' footsteps - I have questions about a few things.

One, what will happen to this Web site? Will Charlie keep it going for all of us who already have Saturns or will he reduce it to a "niche" site, (whatever that is)?

Once Saturn's line of retailers closes, who will I take my car to for dealer service? I have an GM extended warranty that's good through next fall and I intend to keep my car through 2011, when it'll be paid for.

What will happen to Saturn's parts inventory? Will it still be accessible through other dealers should I need a part in the future, especially one not available in a junkyard or on eBay?

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethys View Post
What will happen to Saturn's parts inventory? Will it still be accessible through other dealers should I need a part in the future, especially one not available in a junkyard or on eBay?
If you drive an Ion like it says under your username, a majority of parts are the same as the Cobalts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!