SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
picklejuice52
picklejuice52 is on a distinguished road

Default 1998 Saturn SC-1 engine swap years

I did read the sticky about parts interchangeability, however, I still have a question. If i could acquire the WHOLE engine from a 1993 SC-1 DOHC minus the electronics and what not, would I be able to swap it into my 1998 SC-1 without a hitch? I would use my own manifold, computer, tranny, power accessories etc. Would this swap work rather easily? Keep in mind I have a running (but old) DOHC engine in it now and I would have all the parts from my current engine accessible when i swap in the 1993 DOHC engine. Thanks for any help or advice!

The only reason for the swap is slight oil burning in current engine, 230k, and the need for a reliable car whose engine may or may not die soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to picklejuice52's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help picklejuice52 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
picklejuice52 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: 1998 Saturn SC-1 engine swap years

No answer can be given untill you decide what car you have

SC1 = SOHC from factory, but you say you have a SC1 DOHC....did you do a motor/head swap? Also tranny type is important

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
spencerforhire
Advanced Member
spencerforhire will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SW2

You will need also a "California emissions" EGR adapter plate to convert the older style engine's vacuum setup to electronic. But you won't need to change the computer unless you're going from SOHC to DOHC, or you intend to change the whole harness(probably not possible anyway). I put a 94 engine in my wife's old 97SW2; same issues as you're dealing with.

01 SL1-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
96 SW2-parts
00 SC1-parts
+ 19 scrapped

Visit www.spencerforhire.ca to see what I do other than fix Saturns

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerforhire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerforhire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
picklejuice52

It came with a DOHC it is a 1998 and a 5 speed. I have the entire engine from it now and an entire 1993 engine in my garage. My plane is to swap everything over, intake, exhaust, alternator, throttle body, everything. I hear that the blocks are all the same so wouldnt I be able to swap everything over? All I am really swapping out is the blocks and rotating assemblies, no electronics or anything, just blocks. All the manifolds and engine accessories and tranny will stay with the car as I swap the blocks out. Do I still need the adapter plate even if I have all EGR related equiptment that i can swap over from my 1998 engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help picklejuice52 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
picklejuice52

Maybe it is an sc-2 hahaha. I thought the SC-2s had a different hood, headlights, and those reverse lights built into the bumper. My saturn doesnt have any of those so I assumed it was an sc-1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Car: 1998 SC 2 DOHC
Donor car: 1993 SC 2 DOHC

Present it like this ^^^

The '93 DOHC will work in the '98 AS IS. Drop the entire '93 engine in the '98. Use the '93 manifolds, and '93 alternator in. Use the a/c and power steering pump from the '98 so you dont have to disconnect them. Just tie them up out of the car.

There is NO need to swap only the blocks out, aka change the heads. Its actually harder to do it that way and MUCH easier to just swap the engines as is.

You will need an EGR adapter plate as said above. Your Vacum EGR on the '93 will NOT work. You need to use the electric one from the '98. LowSaturn has them for sale in the classifieds. IIRC you can use your '98 manifold on the '93 if you'd like to save $40 bucks on the adapter plate.

Use the '98 fuel rail and injectors ONLY.

Make sure the '93 engine has a Flywheel on it, not a flex plate

The '93 engine has 2 ECTS'. Your '98 PCM only need ONE. Use the one under the EGR. Leave the other as is. It wont hurt anything.

Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #7
picklejuice52

thank you very much!

When I mean swap the blocks out, I meant the entire engine minus all the misc things that only belong on the 1993 donor car (manifolds, egrs, injectors, TB, this kind of stuff (I know you said intake was fine)) I just wanted to make sure there is nothing special. Now concerning the EGR, can i just swap out mine from the 1998 DOHC engine? If the blocks are all interchangeable, shouldn't I just be able to swap all the EGR components from the 1998 DOHC to the 1993 donor engine? Correct me if I am wrong. Also, should I get a new intake and exhaust gasket if i remove those components? Or are they reusable like some multi-crush gaskets?
One last question, ever since I replaced the clutch the first time and accidentally got air into the clutch slave cylinder, i have dreaded digging back into the tranny aspect of the car. However, i feel as though it will be supremely easier to take the tranny out with the engine swap it to new engine and replace while its all out in the open. My question is how do I ensure that the slave cylinder will not get air in it this time? Do i take off the reservoir top and top the fluid off to the top and put something under the pedal so that it doesn't sink and introduce air into the system? I don't feel like shelling out another 100 bucks for that closed system jazz. Unfortunately I had a fantastic list going of how i would avoid introducing air into the cylinder back when i was knee deep in it, but now i forgot it all. Thanks for all your help!!

BTW, just read more closely about if I switch the 98 intake manifold I will not need any adapter plates, so that answers my question. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
spencerforhire
Advanced Member
spencerforhire will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SW2

You will still need the EGR adapter plate; the blocks are the same but the heads aren't, and that's where the EGR is, not on the manifold. When i did my 93 motor into 97 car swap, I bought my adapter from the previously mentioned Mike(lowsaturn)
Another couple of points- the alternator is different; you'll have to use the newer one so it will plug in. Intake & exhaust gaskets will probably need to be replaced; I used the newer intake so I wouldn't have to swap everything bolted to it.

01 SL1-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
96 SW2-parts
00 SC1-parts
+ 19 scrapped

Visit www.spencerforhire.ca to see what I do other than fix Saturns

Last edited by spencerforhire; 11-30-2008 at 09:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerforhire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerforhire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Match the injectors to the PCM. 96 and newer are high impedance and 95 and older are low impedance and they are not interchangeable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
picklejuice52

Oh awesome thanks, it all makes sense now! Now one question to that answer, do i need the EGR plate if i don't need to pass emissions for a while? I will just get it when the time arrives i suppose. Any advice on if its easier to remove engine and tranny together or separately? If i remove them together does my clutch slave cylinder procedure seem to be the right method? Thanks for all the help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
picklejuice52

That is also good about the alternator as i wanted the 1998 one anyways because it was brand new less than a year ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Take the engine and trans out through the top. Remove the transmission lower mount before starting to remove. Take the slave cylinder out of the trans and be sure to have blocked up the clutch pedal first. Lay the slave cylinder and damper on the middle frame rail out of the way.

You will need an engine hoist and a load leveler. Also, life will be better if you install the EGR from the git-go. Buy the adapter plate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Sorry You do need the adapted plate. Not sure what i was thinking before :/ Yes it can wait, but youll have an SES light on. 2 bolts and its done, so get it now

Replace the gaskets. There $15 each at rockauto.com. Youll prolly rip them anyway when you remove the manifolds.

I leave the clutch hydraulics IN the car. I remove the slave cylinder (be careful not to lose the metal piece. If it comes off just push it back in gently. Do NOT apply a huge force with your hand. It will be fine) And then ziptie it to the drives side of the fuse box. Leave the clutch pedal alone and do NOT touch it untill the slave cylinder is back in the tranny.

I think its best to drop the subframe. I think its easier. Put the rear on jack stands, and then raise the front ~34in with an engine hoist. Put the front on jack stands, then lower the engine, tranny, axles, etc as one onto a dolley. Bring it out from the car and you have tons of room to work I have pictures somewhere...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
picklejuice52

wow, if you have pictures that would be awesome, thanks everyone for all your help. This should cover most every question I have had thus far. I will try to get around to doing the swap in a few weeks when i get off from college. Thanks again!

btw, does anyone have the adapter plate picture?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #15
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice52 View Post
wow, if you have pictures that would be awesome, thanks everyone for all your help. This should cover most every question I have had thus far. I will try to get around to doing the swap in a few weeks when i get off from college. Thanks again!

btw, does anyone have the adapter plate picture?
Ill look around for them

And go to the classifieds. Low Saturn has a post there 2 or 3 pages in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
picklejuice52

awesome, thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Yep, I've got those EGR adaptors. PM me if you need one.

Or just purchase it right form the classifieds section.

http://www.saturnfans.com/classified...uct/2401/cat/6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egradaptor.jpg (50.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg egradaptor1.jpg (42.2 KB, 14 views)

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
picklejuice52

I will end up ordering one from you def in the future, unfortunately I am literally broke right now and i don't need to pass emission till about 14 months from now so i will def get one before then . Thanks for all the help everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #19
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

You need to keep the '98 alternator regardless of it's age (even better that it's fairly new now). The one from the '93 won't work properly. The main harness connector changed mid-year '97.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #20
picklejuice52

awesome, thanks for the advice. Anyone in need of an alternator off of an 1993 DOHC engine now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!