SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
number9
number9 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default No signals or hazards but fuses & flasher fine

Title says it all, really. I got up this morning and the signals AND the hazards are no longer working on my SC1. I put a new flasher module in, that didn't fix anything. Checked the #2 fuse (signals) in the car, it was fine. Checked the #10 fuse (I think, the hazards one) in the engine bay, it was fine.

The only thing I can think of worth mentioning is that, when I pull the #2 fuse in the car and put it back in, I can hear the flasher module energizing. But when I try either the signals or the hazards, neither work. Everything else electrical in the car still seems to work...

Any suggestions? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to number9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help number9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
fredsfix
fredsfix is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
1997 SL1
Default Re: No signals or hazards but fuses & flasher fine

Sounds like my first attempt to wire in my trailer hitch wires. Found that the liquid insulation does not work very well when applied in freezing temps.....
Anyway, I got enough lights working to drive back home but signals and hazards didn't work well.
Keep looking for blown fuses. I think I found additional fuses blown that I didn't think were supposed to be involved.

You can't call yourself a mechanic if you're surprised it runs!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fredsfix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fredsfix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fredsfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
number9

1997 SL1

Thanks Fred, I'll check it out...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help number9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

I am pretty sure the turnsignal fuse is in the fusebox under the dash.... I am almost positive of this...

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
number9

1997 SL1

OnDaGround: Fuse #2 under the dash (7.5 Amps) is labeled "TURN", I presume that's the turn signal fuse. Trouble is, it looks fine visually; I swapped it out with a spare fuse and it still doesn't work.

Following Fred's advice, I pulled every fuse (both under the dash and in the engine compartment) and inspected them visually -- they all looked fine. My father-in-law has my multimeter, so I can't check them for continuity but I can't see that any have blown.

When I was pulling the fuses under the dash, I noticed that the following fuses had build-ups of gunk on the fuse legs and in the fuse socket: #13 (DIM), #17 (SUN), #18 (BODY), #19 (CHIME), #20 (LOCKS). As far as I can tell, my dimmer and chime still work. I don't have a sun roof or electronic door locks; I don't know what the #18 fuse is actually for (it's just labeled BODY) but it looked fine visually.

I did some searching on the forums, and someone mentioned that they thought the hazards switch actually lets current pass through it for the indicators. So, if your hazard switch is bad, your indicators and hazards won't work. Does anyone know if that's true?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
fredsfix
fredsfix is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
1997 SL1

Bumped into this info on another thread on the same subject from the bottom of this screen...

Bought a replacement flasher at a Saturn dealer. Third party parts are also available but Saturn had one and local auto shops didn't. The new flasher is a different color and part number (new beige/01999354, old black/9442893). It is also lighter in weight than the old one. While the old one has the comforting label "2/4 Lamp Combination Flasher" the new one just says "Hazard Flasher". Both are marked "Omron" and "Made in Canada".

Replaced through the driver's side access panel in the center console. The flasher essentially sits on the back side of the fuse panel accessed from the passenger side. Because the flasher sits behind a metal bracket I used a bent-nose needle-nose pliers to remove it. The old flasher felt warm when I took it out (as compared to the temperature of the new flasher I was putting in) and rattled a bit. Insertion of the new was simply a matter of keeping the prongs aligned.

Just briefly tested, but both turn signals and hazards seem to be working fine now.

You can't call yourself a mechanic if you're surprised it runs!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fredsfix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fredsfix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fredsfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Turnsignal relay? Probably controls the emer. lights too. In some cars the switch for the hazards is the turnsignal relay... But I doubt this is true on the saturn do to the position... it would not make any sense. may have to call saturn and find out what; A: the position is or B: the part number of the relay, but you have to becareful because some relays can be the same as others. It may say on the panel... it's been a long time since I've needed to dig in there other than for a brief look probably about 3 years ago.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
number9

1997 SL1

Hmm. Can anyone confirm that the flasher isn't just a generic one I can get at an auto-parts store, though? I just called Maine's Saturn dealer; they don't know if there's a difference between generic & OEM ones or not. They also don't have any OEM ones in stock...

OnDaGround: I changed the flasher module already, that didn't fix it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
number9

1997 SL1

Hmm, this is very strange. When I look on the kick panel from under the dash, it shows a three-terminal flasher and labels the polarity of each terminal as +VE, -VE and "L". However, the polarity of the terminals on the flasher I just bought have the +VE and -VE on opposite sides as what the kickpanel shows.

If you imagine the terminals make the shape of a U, here is what the kickpanel shows:

Code:
|_|
The left-hand | is -VE and the right-hand | is +VE. The bottom _ is "L".

Here is what my new, generic module shows:

Code:
|_|
The left-hand | is +VE and the left-hand | is -VE. The bottom _ is "L".

Could this be the source of my problem? I didn't realize flashers with the same number and placement of terminals could have different polarity...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I believe it is a difficult to get flasher module, not real common. They are polarity sensitive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
number9

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I believe it is a difficult to get flasher module, not real common. They are polarity sensitive.
Dammit -- I was afraid that would be true. Thanks...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!