SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM   #1
tijeraspete
tijeraspete is on a distinguished road

Default 97 Saturn SL sensors won't reset

I need to get my '97 Saturn SL emmision tested. I recently replaced an ignition module which reset the sensor tests that the PCM runs. I know for a fact that 3 sensors not resetting will not allow me to pass an Emissions test. After a month of driving my code reader says that the Oxygen sensor Monitor, the Exhaust Gas Monitor and the Catalyst Monitor have not reset.

I need to get a least one to reset if not all 3. Could a bad oxygen sensor cause this prblem for the O2 sensor monitor and the EGR Monitor?

Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tijeraspete's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tijeraspete reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tijeraspete is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 97 Saturn SL sensors won't reset

You need to properly complete the driving cycle.

OBD-II Driving Cycle
If you have a 96 or newer vehicle you have the OBD-II diagnostic system. This system is constantly monitoring the sensors and solenoids on the engine. If you have replaced the battery, disconnected the battery or cleared the codes after making a repair you will need to do what is called a "Driving Cycle". This will perform a diagnostic on all the systems the computer monitors. This cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

1. Cold Start
In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50C (122F) and within 6C (11F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

2. Idle
The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on maximum and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

3. Accelerate
Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

4. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

5. Decelerate
Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

6. Accelerate
Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

7. Hold Steady Speed
Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

8. Decelerate
This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.[/QUOTE]

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

Sometimes a bad ECTS or thermostat will cause it to not reset because it doesn't get to the proper temperatures. How high does your coolant temperature read when it's warmed up. For instance the 6 degree difference Low mentioned may not be met if the Coolant Temp and Intake Air sensors aren't working properly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
tijeraspete

Westwind999,

my temp gauge seems to stay around 1/4 all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tijeraspete reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:34 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Odds are real good that the thermostat is done for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

My 99SL2 was reading slightly over 1/4 when I got it. My Scanguage said the temperature was only 180 degrees. I changed the thermostat with a Stant and now it reads between 195 and 197. I think the spring starts to get weak in the thermostat and it starts to open sooner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
tijeraspete

Changed the CTS, front O2 sensor and changed out the thermostat. Ran the vehicle for over an hour, running the vehicle up to 55mph and back down. The O2 sensor reset. The car temp now runs at about 1/2 scale. Looks like I might have to replace the rear O2 sensor and the EGR to get the other sensors to reset. But with only 2 sensors not resetting I should be able to get my Emissions test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The rear O2 sensor has absolutely no control function except to monitor CAT performance.

You have to run the drive cycle or they will not reset after you get the temp up, which you have. You may skip the max electrical load portion of step #2.

Before going for a test be sure to go for a drive on the highway to get the CAT hot or you will fail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
tijeraspete

The Catalyst Monitor is one of the sensors that haven't reset. I take that this is the rear O2 sensor which supplies the PCM this signal. This is why I believe this is bad and needs to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you do not have a SES light its probably fine. that one takes a while to reset. That is why you have to at least approximate the cycle. go for a half hour run on the intestate and then drive around town for a while on the fast and slow streets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!