SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
Saturn#5
Saturn#5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 2.2L
Happy Clock Setting...auto clock?

I noticed on my 08 Astra's System setting the Auto Clock off screen...I can't seem to figure out how to get the Auto Clock to "on". If I click either of the tuning buttons nothing happens...when I click "ok" then the clock enters manual set up mode and I can scroll through the time.
Any advice?

Saturn#5

Saturn car history:
1995 SL2
2002 LW200
2005 ION
2007 VUE
2008 Astra

HEY GM...KISS MY ASTRA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn#5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
DarylDePaul
DarylDePaul is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Clock Setting...auto clock?

The manual doesn't say it, but you have to click the OK button twice to get into the clock settings. Very annoying, but one instance of frustration leading to banging on buttons which ultimately taught me something. Not sure why they didn't indicate this in the manual, unless they are testing us.

Cheers,

DDD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarylDePaul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarylDePaul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarylDePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

It's possible that the auto clock doesn't work in the US. My guess is that in Europe radio stations broadcast a time code that the clock is set by, but in the US we don't have that.

2002 L200
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

^^ Correct again. The radio sets the clock automatically via RDS. No RDS = no auto clock.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
bdshaffer
bdshaffer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

The US has RDS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdshaffer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdshaffer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member

Then it should work.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Saturn#5

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

Right the US has RDS...so anyone know how I can turn Clock Sync to "on"?
Still looking for the answer...is it out there?

Saturn#5

Saturn car history:
1995 SL2
2002 LW200
2005 ION
2007 VUE
2008 Astra

HEY GM...KISS MY ASTRA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn#5 View Post
Right the US has RDS...so anyone know how I can turn Clock Sync to "on"?
Still looking for the answer...is it out there?
Chances are, you won't find it in our owner's manual.
Or you will have to look in 13 different places...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
08blkastra
08blkastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm assuming it would be 'yet' another Tech2 fix. Really wish I had access to one, cause so many little things that have been changed could be fixed already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08blkastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08blkastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08blkastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
bone151
bone151 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

i think we should be allowed to exchange our us-spec astras for euro-spec astras. especially with GM about to go under, we should attempt to get all we can before they sell Saturn, stop Astra production and leave us stuck with expensive repair & maintenance bills from a local import shop. I'll trade my 4-dr xr for a gtc with the pano-roof; and keyless and one of the diesel engines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bone151's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bone151 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bone151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #11
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Im pretty sure this has to be programmed to on, aka tech2'd. I can try to find out for sure tho.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone151 View Post
i think we should be allowed to exchange our us-spec astras for euro-spec astras. especially with GM about to go under, we should attempt to get all we can before they sell Saturn, stop Astra production and leave us stuck with expensive repair & maintenance bills from a local import shop. I'll trade my 4-dr xr for a gtc with the pano-roof; and keyless and one of the diesel engines.
You think having a Euro-spec Astra serviced here would be cheaper than the Saturn Astra?

GM won't go under, but in the case of closing Saturn, another division's dealer network will pick up servicing of the brand's cars. GM is required by law to provide service parts for at least 7 years (I think).

2002 L200
2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
Saturn#5

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
Im pretty sure this has to be programmed to on, aka tech2'd. I can try to find out for sure tho.
Thanks Layoira! I have tried, even called Saturn customer support. They had no clue.
Looking forward to what you find out.
~S

Saturn#5

Saturn car history:
1995 SL2
2002 LW200
2005 ION
2007 VUE
2008 Astra

HEY GM...KISS MY ASTRA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Thanks Layoira! I have tried, even called Saturn customer support. They had no clue.
Looking forward to what you find out.
~S
No offence to Saturn, but calling them for any info on this car other than whats Standard available in North America (and to be honest even about that stuff) is an absolute waste of time. Most of them know about as much or less than what we do about these cars. Not their fault in most cases, they are only doing/saying what they are told to.

I should know something by tomorrow, and will post what I find out

I also have my appointment tomorrow to get my GID progammed (the advanced audio screen, but am marrying it with my cd30 mp3, I like that radio better but the Uplevel screen better and of course Saturn doesnt allow you to change this when you buy it). Am hopefully going to try to get my windows up done, and my aux depending how willing the service guy is with me to try my steps in tech2. Will post the results of that too Wish me luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #15
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
No offence to Saturn, but calling them for any info on this car other than whats Standard available in North America (and to be honest even about that stuff) is an absolute waste of time. Most of them know about as much or less than what we do about these cars. Not their fault in most cases, they are only doing/saying what they are told to.

I should know something by tomorrow, and will post what I find out

I also have my appointment tomorrow to get my GID progammed (the advanced audio screen, but am marrying it with my cd30 mp3, I like that radio better but the Uplevel screen better and of course Saturn doesnt allow you to change this when you buy it). Am hopefully going to try to get my windows up done, and my aux depending how willing the service guy is with me to try my steps in tech2. Will post the results of that too Wish me luck!

Good luck with your Tech 2 appointment. If there are any secret codewords, please let us know. We'd hate it if you were the only Astra in North America to have the auto up on the windows, and the auto sync clock!

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #16
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member

I'm curious as to why the option is disabled, I've been reading up on RDS on Wikipedia and while there are different names used on either side of the atlantic (RDS in Europe, RDBS in US), they work on the same subcarrier frequency and it should not be disabled because of the HU being incompatible. I wonder, you have a big country, are there radio stations with very strong signals that span across timezones? Can anyone come up with a good idea why GM would disable a trivial yet pleasant option like an auto syncing clock?

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #17
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
Can anyone come up with a good idea why GM would disable a trivial yet pleasant option like an auto syncing clock?
At this point, nobody is even sure it's disabled here in the US.
That feature would be nice.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Ok who here has a GID (Uplevel screen)? Can you go into the system settings then to time and date side menu, and tell me if you have anything like syncron.clock automatical and if so, is there a check mark or x next to it in the box to the left?

I dont have my GID in yet (getting done as we speak) so I am not familiar with the menu in the GID. I know in the BID it says Auto Clock off.

Let me know what yours looks like!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #19
wandern
wandern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I noticed on my 08 Astra's System setting the Auto Clock off screen...I can't seem to figure out how to get the Auto Clock to "on". If I click either of the tuning buttons nothing happens...when I click "ok" then the clock enters manual set up mode and I can scroll through the time.
Any advice?
Where are you finding "Auto Clock"? Do you have the CDC30 or CDC40 ("advanced audio" package).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wandern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wandern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wandern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #20
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandern View Post
Where are you finding "Auto Clock"? Do you have the CDC30 or CDC40 ("advanced audio" package).
Auto clock is on the cd30 , but its the screen that its related to, not the radio. On the bid (the screen that comes with the cd30 and cd30 mp3 it says auto clock off.

I now have the Gid (advanced audio package screen) but still with the cd30 mp3(like that radio better). If our Auto Synching clock was enabled in the system, we would see "Synchron.clock automatical" with an x in the box next to it. I dont see it there, but might not have gone far enough in the menu. If you press settings, left arrow then OK twice it should be there. Thats where it is on enabled systems, but Im thinking its not enabled here for us. On the BID with the auto clock off, there was no way to change this to "on" either. Looks like something else they have disabled over here on our Astras.

Will check the menu again in the morning in case I didnt go in far enough but Im pretty sure its not an option for us here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!