SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
01SL1SATURN
01SL1SATURN is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Default Urgent question

I'm in the process of cleaning my throttle body. When looking into the component that the throttle body connects to (don't know its name) I can see piles of carbon dust in there. Is it wise just to ignore it or can I clean it out somehow. I can literally see a desert of carbon in there.

If so, what is the best way to get all that stuff out? Thanks.

2001 Saturn SL 5 speed -- 131,000 miles
Slush boxes..... taking the fun out of driving since 1950!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SL1SATURN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SL1SATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SL1SATURN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Urgent question

It is probably black goo and not nice neat carbon dust. It is a byproduct of the PCV system and the EGR. Cleaning requires removal of the intake (that is what its called) and having it boiled out. Not a Saturday afternoon task. Wipe off what you can about an inch deep max.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Yup, that's the intake manifold, and you'll never get it clean without removing it from the engine. Don't worry about it.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
01SL1SATURN

2001 SL

Thanks oldnuc,

You were correct, it was sticky tar stuff.

So today I cleaned my throttle body....it didn't have too much carbon in it, but it did feel a tad sticky when opening and closing it.

I also replaced my ECTS. I pulled out the old sensor and coolant did come out, despite the fact I equalized the pressure in the system and jacked up the driver's side. I think I will be ordering a new coolant cap. I don't think it is sealing, which may explain some residual coolant loss. I think it may be evaporating/boiling out while driving.

Well, my old ECTS was a ceramic old style and it did have a little crack going lengthwise around. The new brass one is installed. Unplugging the wires from it took me half an hour. It was real tough. I used that sealant tape so all should be ok.

I herded up the cat and dog away from the garage, so I just have to clean the little coolant spill. Then I will test the car. Hope I did everything right.

Thanks to all on this great board for the help and richpin for the videos. Extremely helpful.

I will provide updates as to whether or not my temp gauge goes a little above the 3/8 mark now...and hopefully my mpg will go up as well.

Cheers

P.S - for the record my Saturn was assembled Jan 01 so it seems the early 2001 Saturns have the old ECTS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 01SL1SATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
01SL1SATURN

2001 SL

I got too antsy. I just started it up to move my car. It started up and there are no leaks or anything abnormal.

Then I got back in my car and noticed my Service Engine Soon lamp is on. Is it because I was listening to the radio while working on my car? I assume it is complaining about the ECTS or ECTS wires.

The connector was not corroded...it looked clean when I removed it. Is it possible it got a little coolant on it when the coolant came out and it is just wet?

Is it still ok to drive the car until the issue is resolved?

Last edited by 01SL1SATURN; 11-01-2008 at 05:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Gueroson
Gueroson is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Did you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few mins?

1996 SL2 manual, 146k miles.
~34 MPG [http://woodsware.aciwebs.com/mileage/publish.asp?vid=187]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gueroson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gueroson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gueroson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
01SL1SATURN

2001 SL

Well, I ran to the grocery store a few minutes ago...

When I started my car after getting groceries the SES light did not come on. Almost seems like the computer wanted to adjust to the new ects.

All is good now. Just have to keep an eye out for any leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

When condition goes away, the PCM turns off the light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
01SL1SATURN

2001 SL

That's what I figured. Hopefully it doesn't come back...

I am going on a 100+ mile back and forth drive to my cousin's so I will report on what the temp gauge reads. It was just at the 1/4 before, but my car didn't get a chance to get fully warmed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

If the Service Engine Soon light comes back on, don't be terribly concerned as long as it isn't flashing and the car is running OK. Just get the codes read and report back here. Some places will read them for free. Since the light just came on there will be at least one code stored so even if it doesn't come back on it would be good to know what it was and reset it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #11
DaveInGA
DaveInGA is on a distinguished road

Did you start the car with the ECTS connector off? That could possibly throw an error code. It might take the computer some time to reset the light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaveInGA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaveInGA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DaveInGA is offline   Reply With Quote