SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Sky Plant to be Shutdown for Five Weeks Due to Slumping Demand

A new story entry has been added:

Sky Plant to be Shutdown for Five Weeks Due to Slumping Demand

Quote:
The Detroit News reported on Friday that General Motors plans to temporarily close its Wilmington, Delaware manufacturing facility for five weeks beginning today due to slow sales of the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice roadsters. The plant also builds the Opel GT and Daewoo G2X, which are exported for sale overseas.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
dar357
dar357 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sky Plant to be Shutdown for Five Weeks Due to Slumping Demand

I would rather see them shut down for 5 weeks rather than moving operations to Mexico & producing even more inferior products. The Sky & Solstice do not produce the fuel economy inherent to a vehicle as tiny as they are. If they were produced for export, they would use at least 50 % less fuel. I was just in Bermuda & vehicles as tiny as the Sky get near 60 MPG (city).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dar357's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dar357 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dar357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
Russ Bellinis
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

The problem is that the sky is not tiny. If it were tiny it would weigh less than 2000 lbs, probably closer to 1750 lbs like the MG's, Triumphs, etc of the 1950's. G.M. has to add weight to get the car to pass federal safety standards. Then on top of that most Americans want plenty of insulation in the floors to keep engine and transmission heat out of the passenger compartment. Americans also don't buy stripped down cars, and all of the goodies they add to the car adds weigh, or robs power. All of these factors combine to increase fuel usage. A Sky stripped down like an SCCA racer, but without souping up the engine would probably pick up 3-5 mpg, but it would be so noisy, hot, and uncomfortable that you wouldn't want to live with it on the street. By the way, those vehicles in Bermuda getting 60mpg probably have 1000cc "sewing machine" engines. If you want cubic inches and performance, you can't get 60 mpg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russ Bellinis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russ Bellinis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russ Bellinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, if the Redline was cheaper I would buy one. But as it stands, I can get a BMW Z4 that's 2 years old for the same price as a base SKY... and it's faster and handles way better. I still want a Redline, but it'll be another year unless I end out buying something cheaper.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

there is and always has been a pretty small market for a two seater car. nice a car as it is its a fun extra car for somwone not a main vehicle for many

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2 View Post
Well, if the Redline was cheaper I would buy one. But as it stands, I can get a BMW Z4 that's 2 years old for the same price as a base SKY... and it's faster and handles way better. I still want a Redline, but it'll be another year unless I end out buying something cheaper.
Not to mention the Z4 will carry more than a loaf of bread in the trunk with the top down!

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnRaycer View Post
Not to mention the Z4 will carry more than a loaf of bread in the trunk with the top down!
I would have figured the SKY had more trunk room...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
Question Re: Sky Plant to be Shutdown for Five Weeks Due to Slumping Demand

Quote:
Unfortunately the Sky has the "Perfect Storm" of design/cost circumstances that culminated in a micro trunk. Combine short body with no overhangs with a super long wheelbase for its size & toss in a safety measure of not wanting the fuel cell to be in the rear bumper & this is what you get. I guess it all comes down to priorities when one thinks of owning a Sky. Owning a Sky is a lot like owning a motorcycle: you learn to pack light!

I for one, am OK with the fact that she can't stop at every yard sale & antique shop when out for a Sunday drive...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sky_Trunk.jpg (131.7 KB, 10 views)

Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
That's a bit of an exageration. You can fit a golf bag back there with the top down. If you need hauling room, get a minivan. No one buys a Sky because it's such a practical vehicle. It's anything but, which is why it's so much fun. I can easily pull down 30mpg with my Sky Red Line. The NA Sky won't do that well, but you can drive it pretty hard and still be in the lower 20s.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote