SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
usagoal
usagoal will become famous soon enoughusagoal will become famous soon enough

Default Engine wiring schematic for 96 sc2

After rebuilding my 1.9, I can not figure out where a cluster of tan/white and black wires go. They have a large square terminal with a small hole. Could it be ground? It has been about 2 months since the engine was first pulled, so I don't remember where they go. These wires are in the same loom as the oil pressure sensor, crank sensor and starter solenoid wires. They are not that long but can't seem to know where they go? Does anybody have a location or schematic of a 96 SC2? Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to usagoal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help usagoal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
usagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #2
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: Engine wiring schematic for 96 sc2

Sounds like you are describing these wires.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Richpin nailed it again! Those are ground wires. Tricky little things haha Hard to get to with big hands!

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
usagoal

Richpin...you are awesome! Those are exactly the correct wires. I'm assuming this pic was taken on the driver's side, behind the motor, just under the intake manifold where the engine meets the tranny. You also inadvertantly solved another problem I had which was a missing power steering pump bracket. I had bolted a bracket to that spot you show in you pic....oops. I probably should remove that and put it where it belongs. Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help usagoal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagoal View Post
another problem I had which was a missing power steering pump bracket. I had bolted a bracket to that spot you show in you pic....oops.
I'm curious what was the bracket supporting when you mounted it to this spot.

Did you mount a second pump .......lol

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
usagoal

Sorry...I'm confusing myself...and everyone else. The bracket on the driver's side is where it's supposed to be. It's just a support for the manifold and fuel lines. I found the mounting boss for the ground wire(covered with the red engine paint I used AND it still had the bolt in it. I left it there while rebuilding the engine so I didn't forget it...oops...again. I'm still missing a bracket on the under side of the manifold on the passenger side behind the power steering pump. There is a long through bolt that passes through the pump mount and screws into this bracket, which is then bolted to a long stud underneath the manifold.

I have no idea where it is. I "may" have put it in a box of broken engine parts which is probably in a dumpster by now. I'm psyched about driving this car with it's somewhat new engine. I'll try to post a pic when the weather clears up. Engine bay is clean as can be, motor is sitting pretty and I just test drove it for the first time today. Next will be wheels, tires, and an alignment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #7
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

If I remember correctly, and it is getting late so I'm being lazy and didn't go out and look, but doesn't the long bolt that goes through the power steering pump bolt to a short support that gets mounted to the top of the intake manifold? Check and see if you left that short support on the top of your manifold.

I have actually seen these in two different configurations. One with the long bolt that mounts to the brace on the top of the intake manifold and one where there is a support on the bracket that supports the power steering pump that is mounted to the block under the intake manifold. This later configuration the brace is bolted from the back side of the PS bracket and does not require the long bolt. I prefer this as it is easier to get the PS off but does require you to get under the vehicle if you want to remove the PS pump bracket. Also in this configuration, the long bolt doesn't get rusted in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, there are 2 different designs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
usagoal

Currently, I do have the support on top of the manifold. So that is the correct location for it? And I do not have one underneath? Still leaves one extra long bolt...spare parts?

Maybe there is still a hole that didn't get this leftover bolt...it's always dark when I work on this thing. 2 more questions:
1. Talking about the power steering pump...I chipped the pulley and can order a new one for $15. To remove it, it looks like a torx or alan key in the pulley shaft and just knock the old one off. I'll know more when I get the new pulley. I don't think I should put the new belt on with a chipped serpentine groove.
2. Anybody get a clicking noise from there tensioner? I left the old tensioner on but probably should have just spent the extra couple of bucks to get a new one. After spending roughly $1300 for engine parts/machine work all the little extras add up too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

I believe the intake manifold's outer (rearward) edge is supported/stabilised by two brackets from the engine block , one each on driver's and passenger's side.

On my '97 the power steering drive pulley appears to be plastic ....

If the tensioner moves/swings smoothly and spins without issue you may be safe to drive a little while before changing it out .... I'd just check the belt tension each occasion you open the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote