SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Ronnie D
Ronnie D is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2001 SL
Question Fuel efficiency

When I bought my astra a few months ago, the sticker said I should get 6 L per 100 km on the highway. Is anybody getting close to that??????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ronnie D's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ronnie D reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ronnie D is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
JoeyD
JoeyD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Fuel efficiency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie D View Post
When I bought my astra a few months ago, the sticker said I should get 6 L per 100 km on the highway. Is anybody getting close to that??????
Stupid metric system.

< / homer>

'08 Astra XR 5
Twilight Blue, Sport Handling Pckg,
Sunroof, 5-speed

'03 Yukon XL SLT
It's big...let's leave it at that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoeyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoeyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JoeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
wandern
wandern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The US window sticker advertises 32mpg (7.4L/100km) on the highway for the 5-speed. 6L/100km is extremely low fuel usage, and I doubt anyone regularly gets that type of fuel economy, especially in any type of mixed, stop and go, hilly, or high speed driving. Maybe at a constant 80km/h on completely flat roads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wandern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wandern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wandern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandern View Post
The US window sticker advertises 32mpg (7.4L/100km) on the highway for the 5-speed. 6L/100km is extremely low fuel usage, and I doubt anyone regularly gets that type of fuel economy, especially in any type of mixed, stop and go, hilly, or high speed driving. Maybe at a constant 80km/h on completely flat roads.
You have to drive carefully to achieve that, but it's achievable, and without going at 80 Km/h on the highway. First, you have to do most of your travels on the highway, second, you have to accelerate relatively slowly (in a manual, shift quickly, around 2500 rpms), keep a constant speed, don't speed too much and if possible follow a few vehicles at a safe distance. If I can get 6,5 l/100 km in a Saturn Ion manual with the 2.4L engine, you should be able to get near 6 in the Astra (if it's a manual).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #5
m100
m100 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Got about 39 mpg this weekend hwy driving.

"I love hot hatches..." Jeremy Clarkson

2008 Saturn Astra XR - Daily Driver
2005 Lotus Elise - Track Car
1991 Lotus M100 Elan - Project Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

this past sunday, made a run from windsor to mississauga. the gas mileage was 46 mpg (imperial) running at 55 mph thru construction (10 miles) & 65 mph elsewhere. cannot cry about that. i have 99 sl1 a/t and have reach 50 mpg travelling at 55 mph.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Twitch
Twitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The canadian fuel economy rating that you see on the sticker is way off. It's listed as 46mpg(6.6l/100km) highway and 34MPG(8.4l/100km) city, which are really optimistic numbers and almost impossible to attain.

The recently revised US fuel economy rating is much more accurate and you will be able to match those numbers in real life. 32MPG(7.4l/100km) highway and 24MPG(9.8l/100km) city.

I have managed myself to get 36MPG highway and 25MPG city.

2008 Saturn Astra XR 3-door
2001 Ford Mustang GT
1990 Mazda MPV
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SEL
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twitch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #8
ad_astra
ad_astra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I have twice been able to get 42.8 MPG according to the BC averaged over 30-40 miles. In both of these occasions, it was immediately after a fill-up which occurred shortly before getting on the highway and after having already driven many miles (i.e. the engine was definitely warmed up). So 6L/100 km (39.2 MPG by my calculation) is achievable, but not easy nor common. My best complete tanks were around 36-37 MPG.

2008 Twilight Blue Saturn Astra XE, 5-sp manual, a/c, and loads of fun

Last edited by ad_astra; 10-21-2008 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: adding detail

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ad_astra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ad_astra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
bdshaffer
bdshaffer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_astra View Post
I have twice been able to get 42.8 MPG according to the BC averaged over 30-40 miles.
I think you left out the part about going down hill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdshaffer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdshaffer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
BNM449
BNM449 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

your mileage will also improve over time; when new my 5-sp XE was using 9.3 liters/100km, now after 2 months it's down to 9/100 km and I expect it to continue to fall.
I'm not really a very conservative driver so my consumption figures are always going to be high.
Every accessory you run, especially AC, raises your consumption too.

Consumer Reports tested an automatic and rated it at 28mpg in the States.

~N~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BNM449's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BNM449 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BNM449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #11
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

6l/100km with the 1.8 petrol? No way. I average around 6.2 mixed driving and I'm a bit unhappy with my poor fuel economy. But I have no patience with slow people either...

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My fuel economy seems to be really well and it improves each tank.

I'm a salesman and I spend lots of time stuck in traffic and starting and stopping.

If I do a lot of sales calls I can get as low as 28 mpg while running the AC.

My current in town tank is 31 mpg (no AC) where-as my BC will commonly read 42-44 mpg (no AC) on my highway commute that still has several stoplights and heavy traffic.

I know from experience that the 18" wheels can easily use up to 2-3 mpg compared to hi-efficiency Michelins on 16" wheels so I'm really impressed.

Really the mpg is not much less than my old tdi.

Also, the motor has REALLY loosened up and it much more fun to drive now as it is much peppier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suns_PSD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suns_PSD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
djmtz1
djmtz1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Information Re: Fuel efficiency

I have over 8,000 miles on my 2008 astra XR, auto, and get an average of 27.05 mpg combined

I track ALL my mileage and fuel usage and this is what Ive gotten so far, 60% highway and 40 city driving, Im a conservative driver too, this is pretty much in line with what www.fueleconomy.gov EPA estimates say I will get and it hasnt improved.

I think alot of peole on this forum tend to exagerate a bit

standard transmission do get a little better though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djmtz1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djmtz1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djmtz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #14
KillerX
KillerX is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I would book mark this site:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

It tells the REAL fuel milage based on the company that does the survey (they test with A/C on as well) and from drivers as well.

I used this site when I was looking for a vehicle

Brad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KillerX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KillerX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KillerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #15
craigtnutz
craigtnutz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtz1 View Post
I have over 8,000 miles on my 2008 astra XR, auto, and get an average of 27.05 mpg combined
My experience has been similar. I have over 7,000 miles on my 2008 astra XR, auto, and average 29.7 mpg combined. Roughly 60% highway/40% city.

Not bad considering my propensity towards spirited driving.

"If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it truly is, infinite"

2008 ASTRA XR5 - Mine
2008 OUTLOOK XR - Wife's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to craigtnutz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help craigtnutz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
craigtnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
I
I think alot of peole on this forum tend to exagerate a bit
I don't think so.

Last tank in my wife's car netted 319 miles on 9.4 gals.
That equates to:33.93 mpg.

The BC regularly reads about 32-33 mpg most of the time.That gizmo is pretty close to using the old method of stopping the fillup @ first click. Then dividing gals. into miles driven. I would give it plus/minus .5 mpg.

I find it hard to believe some people are getting only 25-28 mpg.
Are they driving the hell out of their slushboxes

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #17
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

Use http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #18
ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead is on a distinguished road

I'm averaging 8.6L/100km according to the computer, thats with mostly city driving with a heavy foot, but no traffic.

The most real world kms I've gotten to a tank before filling up was 492kms, at the low fuel warning.

You can't have a super fun car and expect to get 45 mpg. Drive a Prius and see which car you like more

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProstheticHead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProstheticHead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ProstheticHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #19
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

I track ALL my mileage and fuel usage and this is what Ive gotten so far, 60% highway and 40 city driving, Im a conservative driver too, this is pretty much in line with what www.fueleconomy.gov EPA estimates say I will get and it hasnt improved.

I think alot of people on this forum tend to exagerate a bit

standard transmission do get a little better though
The 5 speed manual tranny is not just "a little better" in fuel economy in my experience; it's a lot better. The #'s I stated were not that "one day on the highway". I hand calculate my mpg and save all mpg tanks (w/ notes on driving, AC use, and weather) w/ no exceptions for traffic or inclement weather.

I attribute my fuel economy to a couple of things:

1) I broke it in HARD. As soon as I felt it was warm off the dealer's lot it got multiple full throttle runs to redline w/ long slow downs w/ the car in gear. This promotes good ring seal.

2) I don't drive it that soft. I accelerate in a spirited manner on a regular basis and I always do several redline runs per tank. Lugging the motor under a load is not good for mpg. When I want to accelerate semi-briskly and save fuel I shift at about 3500 RPM to ride the tq curve. I often drive between 70-80 mph but w/ several complete stops for traffic resulting in an average speed of around 32 mph most tanks. When I do sales calls economy will drop as low as 27-28 mpg but that is because I might do 25 stops a day in only 80 miles.

3) I do plan my stops and coast when possible. I also plan for the hilly terrain by gaining speed before the hills and taking advantage of the downhills. I also maintain space between me and other cars even in traffic to try and avoid hitting the brakes.

4) Try to limit AC use but when it's hot, I run the AC. I believe driving a white car in TX saves gas because it allows you to run the AC less. My AC has no problem freezing me out on setting 1 (recirculate vents, white car, tinted windows, 3 door) even on 100 degree days.

5) I always run my tires at max inflation pressure and I have done this for years. This makes a BIG difference and the tires last a very long time like this. It will ride a bit rougher however.

When I removed the 16" wheels off my tdi (my previous car) and installed some very lightweight 18"s (much lighter than these stock 18"s) I lost over 3 mpg. I know w/ some hi-efficiency Michelin's on some 16"s the Astra would do much better for mpg.

I always fill up first thing in the morning when fuel is at it's most dense BTW.

Also, I suspect the BC is actually 100% correct and that the variance while hand calculating comes more from other factors. For example: The injectors actualy use 8 gallons but the remaining fuel in the tank expands due to ambient heat increasing not allowing you to replace those 8 gallons exactly but instead only allowing you to put in 7.8 gallons. Add to that pump variance, tilt on the concrete, different levels of sensitivity for the shut off switch, etc. and your hand calculated #'s can be off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suns_PSD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suns_PSD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #20
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I have just over 1000 miles on my Astra, and I am averaging over 28 according to the BC (over 80% city/suburb streets) with the manual. I have one BC page that I haven't reset (it actually isn't even all my driving, since they picked it up for me at a dealership about 100 miles away). The other BC I reset after each fillup.

As I am getting used to driving the manual, the mileage is improving. My current tank is at over 31 mpg (I'm about 2/3 through this tank). I always coast toward lights in gear so the injectors can shut off - this seems to help alot. I probably make the people behind me angry, but it definately helps the mileage. I also set the cruise control when I can - that seems to help too.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote