SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
MINICooperS
MINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the rough

Default 95 SL2 211K Front Wheel Bearing R&R

Saturn dealership parts and labor to replace 1 front wheel bearing: $380
Extra charge for replacing associated wheel hub: $190
Wheel alignment (because steering knuckle will be removed from strut): $90
Doing it yourself with a 2-ton bottle jack (without removing steering knuckle from strut): PRICELESS
(actually, $75.10 total for new wheel bearing and wheel hub)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MINICooperS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MINICooperS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MINICooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
CA-Legal-Vette
CA-Legal-Vette is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 95 SL2 211K Front Wheel Bearing R&R

First, was this with or without antilock brakes?

If yes to above, POST DIRECTIONS!!!!! I'm almost sure I need to do this but I also know that I'm not going to enjoy it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CA-Legal-Vette's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CA-Legal-Vette reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CA-Legal-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
MINICooperS
MINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the rough

Without anti-lock, but the basic process should be the same. I've got the Genuine 1995 Saturn Shop Manuals and they even say to remove the knuckle from the strut, but for me it's easier to remove it as a unit so you're not fighting the stabilizer bar as much and no alignment is needed afterwards since you've not upset the geometry. Anyway, the basic tools I used was:
1) 5 foot steel digging bar for stabilzer bar leverage
2) 2.5" EMT conduit coupling to press new bearing in
3) 1.75" Craftsman 3/4" socket to press old bearing out
4) 1.5" socket to press hub out of bearing and install new hub
5) 2 ton bottle jack
6) 18"x18" hand made frame from 2x4 steel channel

Last edited by MINICooperS; 10-18-2008 at 02:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MINICooperS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
texaopian
texaopian is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
2002 SL2

Directions? Please?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to texaopian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help texaopian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
texaopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The search function is your friend.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=wheel+bearing

The early postings with the links are broke but keep reading there are directions and pictures.

It is best to Press bearings and not hammer them in, if you have a choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

This job is pretty easy if you have the hub out and a 20 ton press. It takes about 10 minutes to remove the old bearing and install the new bearing. I have done this many times for people who have brought me the hubs. I charge them $5 per hub.

Now, given that you don't want to remove the hub from the vehicle, there is a commercial tool called a Hub Shark that allows you to do this while the hub is in the vehicle. Here is the good news. Harbor Freight sells essentially the equivalent and it is called "Forward Front Wheel Bearing Adapters" item number 45210. It is listed for around $80 but I had a 20% off coupon so it was around $65. If you know how to remove the CV shaft from the bearing, you can easily do this job. Just remember to clean the groove where the snap ring goes so the bearing will slide out easily. I spray the inside with PB Blaster and let it sit for awhile before I press out the old bearing. While you have the bearing out, clean the inside real well especially the snap ring groove. I also put a thin film of grease on the new bearing before I press it in. Alignment won't be any worse then when you started

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1

I will second OldNucs advice not to hammer in the new bearing. When I was first doing this I hammered out one of the bearings. Yes, you can hammer them out if you have a big enough hammer and the hub is off the vehicle. I can only speculate the damage you would do to the rest of the suspension if the hub were on the vehicle. When I disassembled the bearing, it had pit marks in the bearing race. This will certainly not sound good when you spin the bearing after assembly and will lead to very premature bearing failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
MINICooperS

On second thought, with all this talk about hammer whipping, needless disassembly and re-assembly to get alignment "close" and not knowing where to apply pressing forces to inner bearing race and outer bearing race, heating this up, freezing this and that, maybe it's just better for Saturn to do it for some folks.
Cheers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!