SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Dave_Pletcher
Dave_Pletcher is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default OBDII Error Codes...

So the funny thing is...information on Saturn(s) in general is the hardest information to find on the world wide inter-web, so thank you for this forum.

The two engine lights (I am assuming one is a "Check Engine" and the other is a "Service Engine Soon") have recently appeared in my super Saturn Ion2 (2006 - 2.2). I took the ol' beast to AutoZone to have the ODB scan performed and it returned the following errors:

P0455 - EVAP, Emissions...(does this happen in every Saturn made, it appears so from all the literature online).
P2128 - TPS, or APP (another hard part to find might I add)

To add to this, the ol' beast has recently started to react very slowly when the engine has been running for a while (SES light comes on instantaneously).

I have changed the gas cap, about to change the APP sensor (after I purchase from the dealer), and am wondering if the third problem could be the catalytic converter?

I apologize for the lengthly post, but it is my first...

Thank you for any help that you may provide.

"I will sell you my Saturn for a nice pair of sneakers..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dave_Pletcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dave_Pletcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dave_Pletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: OBDII Error Codes...

first off I think the "second engine light" you're talking about is the reduced power mode. When the car senses certain problems it derates the engine's power so it doesn't hurt itself. the TPS is built into the throttle body, so you won't find it separate. Just curious, why isn't any of this getting fixed under warranty.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Dave_Pletcher

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Curiosity is a great quality...

Thank you for explaining the "second engine light". From what the car has done in the past 1) oil change is needed and 2) this instance, it makes complete sense.

As for the warranty, I am taking it up to dealer on Monday. I had originally bought the car (used) in 2006 with 11,000 miles on it and was unsure of how the warranty would actually work from owner to owner. Nevertheless, this is the first new/used car that I have bought and it has been an interesting experience.

I will repost once I hear from either the dealer or mechanic (myself)...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Dave_Pletcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

GM warranties are 100% transferrable, so you have 3yrs, 36000miles from the day it was bought new for a bumper to bumper warranty

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Dave_Pletcher

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Alright, the good news is that both of the lights are now off (for now).

The bad news is: 1) the warranty had expired due to miles driven (42k), 2)$385, 3) they stated that they could not replicate a scenario that would force the reduced power mode. No light then apparently equals no fix now, I will keep my fingers crossed.

The error codes they were able to produce were P0496 and P2128. P2128, again, deals with the APP sensor and we were told that they did not think this was a problem and to bring it back if anything further happens (hopefully, fixed by the overall work that they did). P0496 deals with "purge during non-purge", yes, drinking without taking a sip...

They replaced the purge solenoid, FRLCA bushings, front-end alignment, and a nice car wash...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #6
Dave_Pletcher

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The EVAP problem is fixed, but, the P2128 code still appears. The dealer had said that he checked the APP sensor and he could not find anything wrong with it. He thought that the problem dealt more with the electrical components of the car but he could not find anything wrong with anything electrical.

I asked the dealer to give me a quote on the APP sensor (apparently, it is the entire pedal). He said that he had a steal of a price at $100. With all things considered this is a steal because I will save on labor and have the assurance that I am fixing one problem to cause another.

Thank you 2006 for your insight and knowledge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You may be the first, posting here about APP problems and replacement. Whether or not this fixes the error codes will be forthcoming if you have the APP replaced. I believe GM's Corvettes were the first to have the drive-by-wire system that trickled down to the L300's and now to the Ions. The whole car industry is leaning towards drive-by-wire systems and GM probably has a few other divisions using them, gathering some historical data to draw from if you search around. The few posters with reduced power/limp home mode symptoms never replied with results after their initial post, making it frustrating to know whether there were problems related to this system or another problem altogether different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
Dave_Pletcher

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

"I am aware that this thread is rather old but I still want to make a reply."

Yeah, sorry about that. There is still no resolution to the issue, however, the SES and Reduced Power Mode light are not static anymore. It is actually very rare that we notice either light come on at all. I still want to replace what codes it brought up before because I am just "that guy". I will keep you posted, hopefully within a better time period, on the progress.

Nevertheless, thank you for the help that you have given me...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
jonny772
jonny772 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default P2138 throttle/pedal position sens/sw D/E volt correlation

P2138 throttle/pedal position sens/sw D/E volt correlation. is the code I keep getting. it happens when I start the car, driving along using the pedal, driving along using cruise control, so I wonder if its even the sensor in the pedal? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance. Edited to add that before this started happening the dealership left the oil filler cap off, it made a mess on the engine, and they washed it, could water be an issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jonny772's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jonny772 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jonny772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Water can be an issue with electronics depending on how it intrudes into the system. Normally, driving in a pouring rain doesn't do anything under the hood otherwise we'd be reading about all sorts of electrical nightmares from everyone everywhere from every car with electronic fuel injection and all the other computers in and around the car. Being that we don't read about it is due to engineering to withstand weather hazards. With this in mind however, there's still the occasional screw-up with washing down an engine (don't ask how I know) that does allow liquids to infiltrate where it wouldn't normally enter and mess things up. So your situation with an oil cap left off, spewing oil and the hosing down of the engine can be a possible issue with water entering someplace and messing with the electronics. Its a guess where water entered as most connections are gasketed for a certain amount of moisture repellent protection but not a bath or soaking. There's no way to tell whether or not the dealer took certain precautions to prevent fluids from soaking in places where the EFI system would be affected.

Your DTC may be either a real problem, related to the engine bath or just an annoyance. If you're an L300 you can try an automatic calibration of the throttle body; simply leave the ignition ON and do nothing. In 30-seconds the ECM will calibrate the throttle by putting the servo motor through its paces and using the throttle position sensor as feedback to determine throttle plate position. This won't take more than a whole minute. Just turn off the ignition or start-up. Whether this helps your situation or not is debatable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #11
jonny772

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

Should have added that its a 2005 Ion 2. When I get the error it goes into limp mode. I then turn off the key wait a few minutes and it usually fixes itself. So I guess my next step would be clean connectors and dry them out, hope that works. thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jonny772 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

or your TB can be fried, the TPS is integrated and would require you to replace the whole TB

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #13
jonny772

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

So where should I start? Cleaning connectors? And if that doesnt work how can I find out which is bad the Throttle body or pedal assy. Also is there somewhere I can find out where physically the sensors are located? the reason I ask is because I can read the sensors on my scanner and it seems like one is half the value of the others. thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

there is no way to directly get to the TPS, like I said, it's integrated into the throttle body, the pedal doesn't move when cruise is on, so it should be the throttle body. you can test the pedal with an ohmmeter I imagine, if you pull it out and move the sensor while watching it, it will jump around instead of changing smoothly. I would carefully clean the contacts with a q tip and alcohol, then slide it in and out a bunch of times to start with.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
jonny772

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

So I should pull out the pedal assembly and test that? Or the throttle body connector?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I have a TB sitting in front of me and have not found a direct TPS reading, try the pedal and I will let you know if I find a TPS reading on the TB connector, bit clean the male part of the TB connector like I said.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
jonny772

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

So I cleaned the connector and thought I had it fixed. But now it has only happened when I start the car. So I suppose my next question is does this lean towards the throttle body being the problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #18
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

yes, it does. did you clean the pedal connector? did you test the pedal?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #19
jonny772

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

havent had the problem in a while but this morning as soon as I put it on cruise control it went into limp mode, I guess its time to change the throttle body.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!