SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #1
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1
Default When do you replace the timing chain?

I have Five S-Series Saturns ranging from 100,000 to 205,000 miles and have never replaced a timing chain. I'm great on my oil changes and don't have noise indicating I have a timing chain issue. After reading posts I'm just curious when I need to change the timing chain? Do I wait for signs/symptoms or is there a recommended mileage?

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
01SL1SATURN
01SL1SATURN is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Default Re: When do you replace the timing chain?

They are designed to last the life of the engine. You shouldn't have to replace them....but sometimes they do go wrong.

There are certain noises to look out for during idle which could indicate a loose/worn chain.

2001 Saturn SL 5 speed -- 131,000 miles
Slush boxes..... taking the fun out of driving since 1950!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SL1SATURN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SL1SATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SL1SATURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

you replace the chain when it becomes stretched/worn to the point that the tensioner can no longer keep it tight. The way you check this is you blip the throttle when you head us under the hood and you ears are over at the passenger side. If you hear a sound just like a loose chain on a big chain saw, it time. It will make this sound when you drop the throttle, just like the saw. There is a bit of that even when they are new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

Great answers. Nice to know this is something I don't have to worry about until it's obvious.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Its one of the first things I replace when I pick up a used Saturn.

With proper maintenence, it should last the life of the car. But we all know how that goes.

So if you're the original owner, have kept up with all the oil changes and never let the oil get low. Shouldnt be an issue.

If you bought the car used, you dont know how the previous owner(s) treated it.

A co-workers son came over today with his 1994 SL2 with 150,000 miles on it and the chain it smacking agianst the camcover. I'm suprised it hasnt broke yet. Looks like I'll be making a few extra $$$$

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Muskas_Daddy
Muskas_Daddy is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Mine started getting a bit noisy at 250,000 miles because it was wearing through the guides.

Depends on if you like playing with your car and doing preventative maintenance for fun... or waiting till it is about to go

My 'Lil Mule
1999 SW2 5spd Cali LEV
Sleeping since 12/13/08
Failed headgasket @ 306,300 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Muskas_Daddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Muskas_Daddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Muskas_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Its one of the first things I replace when I pick up a used Saturn.
Yeah but, for you, a used car inspection involves pulling the engine. Not that easy for the rest of us. I'll say don't mess with it until it gets noisy.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote