SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
kbarkilr
kbarkilr is on a distinguished road

Attention HELP - ECTS Disaster

Ok guys, I did exactly what you think I did . . . I broke the sensor off while tightening it! Anyways, I bought an extractor kit and was able to get it out easily enough, the problem is that the new sensor won't thread in the hole. Now I've asked some friends for advice and the best advice I was given was to go to SEARS and buy the individual tap for the thread size of the sensor and slowly re-tap the hole. Questions: Where can I find the EXACT diameter size of the sensor threads? AND How do I know if it is Metric or American? AND How do I find out what type of threads I'm working with here (coarse, fine, etc...)? Damn this is a mess! Any answers or other advice (including smart-***** remarks about what an idiot I am) are more than welcome!
Thanks.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kbarkilr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kbarkilr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kbarkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: HELP - ECTS Disaster

It is 1/8"NPT. I think it is 27tpi, but there are no options anyway, just ask for a 1/8"NPT tap and you should be just fine.

Almost any hardware store or automotive parts store should have them. They are really common. It is not metric, don't worry...

It is however, a tapered thread, so only tap as deep as you have to to clean up the threads, no deeper.

No worries, I'm sure we all have done things like that ourselves at least once in our lives...

Kudos for tackling it yourself though.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: HELP - ECTS Disaster

This question is often asked by people installing a newer ('96+) engine in an older (up to '95) car, which requires tapping another sensor hole. Do a search on "ECTS thread NPT" to find the answer (it's some plumbing [NPT] thread size). And as to breaking it off, join the club. A number of us have done it over the years, each one usually coaching the next on how to get the sensor out with the extractor. Usually it's done cleanly enough not to damage the threads, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

You need an extractor to get it out? Huh, guess I got lucky when I broke mine... lol
Didn't have to do anything to the threads, or anything special to get it out. I kinda think it was broken before I attempted to install the ECTS but it was defiantly broken after

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

You sure you got it all out. I've never seen a post from anyone that had this problem and I've broken off one myself.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
kbarkilr
kbarkilr is on a distinguished road

DIYGuy: Ok . . .great info! So to clarify, I only want to tap as deep as the threads on the sensor??? What happens if I tap it too deep? And to the other posters: I am sure I got it all out, it looks like the whole thing is still on the extractor. Thanks for the responses!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kbarkilr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kbarkilr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kbarkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
2003MercMaraude
2003MercMaraude is on a distinguished road

Um NPT is tapered. You can tap it as deep as the tap, as long as the hole is deeper than the sensor. Tapered=interference fit=deeper is not a problem, it will tighten and seal anyway.

Rides:

2004 Ford Taurus SEL
2003 Mercury Marauder
1988 Chevy K1500
1976 Pontiac Firebird

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2003MercMaraude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2003MercMaraude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2003MercMaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarkilr View Post
DIYGuy: Ok . . .great info! So to clarify, I only want to tap as deep as the threads on the sensor??? What happens if I tap it too deep? And to the other posters: I am sure I got it all out, it looks like the whole thing is still on the extractor. Thanks for the responses!
Take the tap and turn it in by hand without a wrench. When it gets as tight as you can turn it then put a tap wrench on it or a 1/4 drive socket and carefully and slowly turn it 1 to 1 1/2 turn and then back it out. Now take your brand new sensor with nothing on the threads and screw it in the new hole. Count the turns and if you get 4 1/2 or so you are good. You don't want more than 5 complete turns on the bare parts. If it stops at 3 then tap a bit deeper. After all of this fiddling take the new ECTS and pit one wrap of teflon tape on the threads and screw it in. It will stop about 1 1/2 turn less than where it stopped bare. Tighten it about 1/2 turn. Refill cooling system. Check connector for corrosion and reconnect.

2003MercMaraude is correct. You can run the tap in all the way and it will seal, however, it will be too deep. This is not an ideal condition.

Last edited by OldNuc; 10-08-2008 at 06:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Pictures by Rich pin ofcourse

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 AM   #10
Ackpacket
Ackpacket is on a distinguished road

The best way to make sure your tap will match the threads in the hole would be to examine the sensor you are screwing into the hole. They have pitch gauges to narrow down the exact diameter and pitch. You might be able to borrow one at the hardware store or a kragen. It looks as if everyone has given you some sound info already though. Good luck.

2002 sl2 DOHC 126k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ackpacket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ackpacket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ackpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #11
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Question Re: HELP - ECTS Disaster

what is the torque on the sensor. if u installed with a 3/8 torque set at ?? lbs-inch, that would surely save twisting off the sensor, i would think. do u need to use a thread sealant on the threads?

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Crasoum
Crasoum will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
what is the torque on the sensor. if u installed with a 3/8 torque set at ?? lbs-inch, that would surely save twisting off the sensor, i would think. do u need to use a thread sealant on the threads?
72 inch pounds I think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crasoum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crasoum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crasoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

It is a tapered pipe thread. There is usually no torque spec associated with a tapered thread. They are designed to seal by mechanical interference. By design you tighten them until they are tight. The problem is that "tight" is not defined by torque.

Use of a torque wrench will not preclude disasters. There is wrench operator involvement required to preclude failures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
Depends on where you get the sensor from. If from Autozone/napa/etc, then yes. If from the dealer, then no

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote