SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Automotive News: Next-Generation Saturn Astra to be Built in Mexico

A new story entry has been added:

Automotive News: Next-Generation Saturn Astra to be Built in Mexico

Quote:
Earlier this month, Automotive News reported that production of the next Saturn Astra will move from Antwerp, Belgium to San Luis Potosi, Mexico when it arrives for the 2011 model year. "General Motors hopes to dodge the weak dollar that inflated the price of the current Saturn Astra compact with the next-generation model," said trade magazine.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Automotive News: Next-Generation Saturn Astra to be Built in Mexico

will this be a "kiss the quality goodbye scenario"?

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

I was thinking the same 72gssaturn. The Aveo is junk, lets hope they make the Astra better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Rondosa
Rondosa will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLord View Post
I was thinking the same 72gssaturn. The Aveo is junk, lets hope they make the Astra better.
The Aveo is built in Korea. It only starts Mexican production in October I believe..or maybe that's sales of the Mexican-built ones. Anyway...

I agree...the built-in-Belgium proposition of the Astra was a big selling point for me.

Kristina
'08 3-door manual, Salsa Red
Premium Trim Package, 18" Wheels
Advanced Audio Package
28% Tint, 5000K HID kit, Sport pedals

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rondosa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rondosa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

There is absolutely no foundation for the assumption Mexico-built Astras will not meet quality standards. Now having written that, there are quality differences between manufacturering plants in the US. There are just some factories that you don't want a car from. The danger in not meeting quality standards is that production goes elsewhere. There is every reason to believe that the Mexican cars will be every bit as well-built as the Euro version. Hopefully they won't take the Euro feel out of our cars and make it just an every day, ho-hum econobox. Future Astra owners would be pissed if they knew what they missed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

The same concerns were raised when the 08 Vue was announced to be built in Mexico. I have no quality concerns with mine, and in fact, it was built rather well. The first saturn I've owned without rattles and squeeks. It's refreshing for a change. Then again, I'm not nearly as biased about where my vehicle is built, because I'm not American. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I know you guys to the south of us are very patriotic. Not a bad thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Didn't realize the current Vue was build in Mexico. My inlaws have one, and they really like it, except for one thing, the power seat control panel broke off. This is likely due to the fact that my father in law is a heavy guy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Webology
Webology is on a distinguished road

I will NOT be being another Astra if that's the case. I will fully admit that I am racist when it comes to Mexicans taking jobs away from Americans. I've been eliminated from to many positions because I'm not willing to take the same pay cuts an illegal alien would take.

I also know how crappy the pay is for a GM employee in Mexico, as I have a friend online who works manufacturing Cadillacs in Mexico. Once they find out how much better UAW employee's north of the border have it, they quit caring, and do crap ass piss poor jobs. That was a reason I quit buying GM vehicles was I had 7 lemon's in a row. Yes, I actually made a ford vehicle look more reliable, but then again, it was a Mustang, it was designed to handle abuse!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Webology's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Webology reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #9
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

GM almost can't win in this scenario. MANY members of this board have complained OFTEN about the Astra being too expensive, and have declared they will not purchase or lease this vehicle because it is not price competitive. Building the next generation Astra in Mexico will at least allow this car to be more price competitive in its market and will open the doors to more potential buyers than ever.

Let us suppose GM decides to continue building the North American Astra in Belgium as they currently do. Then, the car will still continue to perform poorly, partly due to it being too expensive. No, I realize this is not the only reason for the Astra's lackluster sales performance, but it certainly is one of the main reasons.

When I originally learned that GM was eventually going to move the Astra production from Belgium to North America, I too thought to myself that I would much prefer an Astra from Europe. I also realized that GM cannot be price competitive with this vehicle due to the weak dollar vs. the Euro.

Which way do YOU want it?

2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TechnoAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TechnoAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnd00d View Post
The same concerns were raised when the 08 Vue was announced to be built in Mexico. I have no quality concerns with mine, and in fact, it was built rather well. The first saturn I've owned without rattles and squeeks. It's refreshing for a change. Then again, I'm not nearly as biased about where my vehicle is built, because I'm not American. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I know you guys to the south of us are very patriotic. Not a bad thing.
You bring up a good point.

Although I love driving my Saturn Aura and liked both the Ion III and the Saturn SL2 I used to drive, all three cars developed numerous rattles within the first year and a half I drove the cars. I am not abusive to my cars and take rather good care of them. All three of these vehicles were obviously built in the U.S. I guess cars built in the U.S. are junk as well.

This truly is not a knock on American cars, just trying to prove a point. Just because the vehicle is built in Mexico does not equate to poor quality.

2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TechnoAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TechnoAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

I had a 2003 Buick Rendezvous that was built in Mexico. Most trouble-free vehicle I have ever driven. In 3 yrs of leasing it never went into the dealer's service dep't once for anything warranty related or otherwise. I can't say that for any Saturn I or my family has ever owned, and that includes 2 SL1's, an SW2, an LS1, and an Ion3.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webology View Post
I also know how crappy the pay is for a GM employee in Mexico, as I have a friend online who works manufacturing Cadillacs in Mexico. Once they find out how much better UAW employee's north of the border have it, they quit caring, and do crap ass piss poor jobs.
If the pay was so "crappy" how did they find people to staff the new plant? Your claims are baseless.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
kmacleod
kmacleod is on a distinguished road

I have heard great things about the Vues built in Mexico.

I would like to see the Astra built @ Lordstown, but GM plans to build all variants of the Cruze for NA and Europe @ this site. In other words, No room.

I want to buy an Astra that is not limited by the # of options due to cost. Building the Astra in Mexico, allows the chance of choosing 95% of the options that the EU gets (Ok maybe not ALL of the powertrain options) + the high quality interior that the current Astra is known for.

When the new Astra does arrive, I will give the 5 Dr and the Wagon a close look....

Ken

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kmacleod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kmacleod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
saturnd00d

2008 VUE 2.4L

To respond to the forum members who are reading this right now thinking that some of us should be shot for our comments, all I'm trying to say is that these days, it's a global economy. Cars are built overseas, in North America, Mexico, China, and pretty much anywhere else you can think of. At the same time, just because a vehicle is assembled in the good ole U.S. of A doesn't mean the parts are from here as well.

Again, a global economy. You want to be picky as to what you drive and limit yourself to only vehicles "made in the U.S.", then better get that bus pass ready because nothing is 100% made in America anymore. Just something your going to have to learn to deal with. The times they are a changing, and if we don't change with it, we'll be the ones left out in the dust.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I will NOT be being another Astra if that's the case. I will fully admit that I am racist when it comes to Mexicans taking jobs away from Americans. I've been eliminated from to many positions because I'm not willing to take the same pay cuts an illegal alien would take.

I also know how crappy the pay is for a GM employee in Mexico, as I have a friend online who works manufacturing Cadillacs in Mexico. Once they find out how much better UAW employee's north of the border have it, they quit caring, and do crap ass piss poor jobs. That was a reason I quit buying GM vehicles was I had 7 lemon's in a row. Yes, I actually made a ford vehicle look more reliable, but then again, it was a Mustang, it was designed to handle abuse!
Settle down, Trolly. So you chose to turn down a job out of what? Pride? That'll teach them. Suckling the Government teat instead of taking a job. High five! You have no frakin' clue. None.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
saturnd00d

2008 VUE 2.4L

Not understanding something here...

Quote:
I will fully admit that I am racist when it comes to Mexicans taking jobs away from Americans.
but...

Quote:
I have a friend online who works manufacturing Cadillacs in Mexico.
How can you be racist towards Mexicans taking away jobs from americans, but at the same time, be friends with a mexican who took away a job from U.S. soil?

Hmmm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnd00d View Post
Not understanding something here...

but...

How can you be racist towards Mexicans taking away jobs from americans, but at the same time, be friends with a mexican who took away a job from U.S. soil?

Hmmm
Cuz.....

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread