SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
ndkracing89
ndkracing89 is on a distinguished road

Default how can i get more horsepower?

i have a 1994 saturn sc2 and i race hornets (stock car) its gutted out roll cage in it, after market air filter, header spark plugs, wires and we use the best racing oil and we run 93 octane gas and i was wondering wat else i could do to my saturn to get more power and more acceleration? without spending a lot of money. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ndkracing89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ndkracing89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ndkracing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: how can i get more horsepower?

Know anybody that can shave the head for more compression to take advantage of 93 octane?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Without spending a lot of money? You know how you make a small fortune in racing? Start out with a large fortune.

Depends on what you can do yourself. If you are well skilled in head porting, then you could do that. Just concentrate on the port roofs and bowl blending. Otherwise you could have the head extrude-honed (but that's not exactly cheap). You could also build a ram-tuned intake manifold if you are good at fabricating. You could also weld up the head to revise the combustion chamber for better squish and raise the compression. A set of cams is comparatively cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
ndkracing89
ndkracing89 is on a distinguished road

i am really skilled when it comes to cars

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ndkracing89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ndkracing89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ndkracing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Not really any special tricks, or specific things holding these cars back. Free up the air flow into & out of the engine, lighten the car, etc. Stock ignition and fuel systems are strong, so you can skip those unless you get into f/i.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #6
JRSTANGE
JRSTANGE is on a distinguished road

pullies, throttle body, motor mounts, etc.... a list of bolt on that can be done.

1999 Saturn SL Forged DOHC Turbo-Parted out
1997 Saturn SL2 cams and bolt ons daily driver
2005 Saturn Vue Redline - Wife's Daily Driver
1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Fair Weather Toy car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JRSTANGE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JRSTANGE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JRSTANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndkracing89 View Post
i have a 1994 saturn sc2 and i race hornets (stock car) its gutted out roll cage in it, after market air filter, header spark plugs, wires and we use the best racing oil and we run 93 octane gas and i was wondering wat else i could do to my saturn to get more power and more acceleration? without spending a lot of money. thanks
1) go back to regular unleaded gas. it's got more "gas" in it (less octane=more gas)

2) nitrous oxide (if permitted in your class) is probably the best bang for the buck in terms of hp.

good luck!

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 AM   #8
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but you can reasonably cheaply turbo a saturn these days. Putting together your own kit can sometimes cost even less than an ebay kit for a civic.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

How's about a set of cams, rods and pistons. ^^^ and like he said... turbo.

If you race cars... why are you asking us what you can do? You should know.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Thor4SL2
Thor4SL2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndkracing89 View Post
Well it depends on whatís allowed in your class, but here are some common mods for a N.A. engine.

OK, go to a junkyard and buy a used head with cams. Port match the head to the intake and exhaust gaskets. Next port match the intake manifold and header to their gaskets.

Hereís a link to help: http://www.sa-motorsports.com/do-it-yourself.aspx

Get a set of flat faced valves, either stock or aftermarket like these: http://www.streetdesignauto.com/

Take it to a good shop have then do a multi-angle valve job and mill the head to increase compression as much as possible.

If you canít afford aftermarket cams you can install an extra intake cam on the exhaust side of the head: http://forums.plastikracing.net/viewtopic.php?t=1373

If you can swap throttle bodies in your class get one from a Geo Storm DOHC (junk yard again) http://www.sixthsphere.com/phpBB3/vi...cbc833f31a16a5

All of this should cost about $400.00 the biggest single expense is the high flow valves and is an easy winter project.

It's not what you know that counts,
it's what you think of in time!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thor4SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thor4SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thor4SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

8lb flywheel, CAI, and lack of A/C and Power steering really make a difference in my '93 SL2.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote