SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
100MileVueOwner
100MileVueOwner is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
Default Sold the wrong Outlook for Towing!

In December 2007 my wife and I traded our 2006 Vue, and bought a 2008 Outlook. A new child on the way, and the hopes to spend the summer camping and water skiing were major deciding factors.

When we purchased the vehicle the dealership assured me that the vehicle could tow 4500lbs. I took his word to be good, and never gave it another thought.

This summer after perusing this website and others, I saw many posts stating that if an Outlook does not have the (V92) towing package, then the vehicle is limited to towing 2000lbs (my Vue could tow 3500lbs!). I contacted the dealership, they confirmed that I do not have the towing package, but could still tow the 4500lbs they claimed, and that the information I had gathered was wrong.

I contacted GM's customer representative center and they told me that the dealership was wrong. Here is a quote from GM's email;

"We do not recommend any deviation from the factory design and construction of our product, as these changes may adversely affect the safety and performance of the vehicle, as well as the terms of the warranty.

Please discuss legal compliance and warranty coverage concerning the intended modification directly with the vendor involved. No vendor has the authority to create or alter our New Vehicle Limited Warranty, as provided with each new vehicle.
"

I have since contacted the dealership again (and forwarded them entire email), and stated that GM says they will not cover any damage caused by towing anything above the weight restriction.

I seem to have caught the dealership (Saturn of Victoria) between a rock and a hard place.

My reason for bringing it to the forums attention is I would like some advice. I'm pretty sure the dealership is not going to give me a new vehicle, but what type of options do I have, and has this type of "bait and switch" happened to anyone else?

Cheers

Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100MileVueOwner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100MileVueOwner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
100MileVueOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Sold the wrong Outlook for Towing!

I would take up the matter with Saturn Corporation 1-800-553-6000

"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didnít have any, chances are you wonít have any either."- Jackie Mason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanm326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanm326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
lewisr
lewisr is on a distinguished road

Do you have it in writing from your dealership? That is going to be your only savior. If it's not in writing(email, purchase agreement, somewhere) they are going to deny they said that, when push comes to shove. If you have it in writing, contact your favorite attorney, sooner than later.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lewisr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lewisr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lewisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

unfortunatly there are many salespeople that will tell you whatever it takes to sell the car or dont know the correct info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
100MileVueOwner

2008 Outlook XE

I have been playing phone tag with GM and the Saturn dealership a lot in the past two weeks. I stopped talking to the salesperson and am now in direct contact with the General Manager. He seems to be upset at teh mistake made, but somewhat accommodating.

The GM told me that there is a clause (or something) in the purchase/lease contract that will help me out. He was a little upset that I already had 16,000 kms on my vehicle (probably for resale), but said "So what do you want from me?".

I think he knows I have him caught. I don't want the moon, I just want a vehicle that can tow my travel trailer.

I think they are actually happy I brought this to their attention, as they were positive that the vehicle could tow the aforementioned 2000lbs, and said that they have been installing brake controllers on many Outlooks.

I have to call him at 10am this morning and he said he'll offer me a new vehicle then! I'll keep you all posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 100MileVueOwner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Great. I'm glad that they are at least proposing to do something to help you out.

"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didnít have any, chances are you wonít have any either."- Jackie Mason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanm326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanm326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
100MileVueOwner

2008 Outlook XE

Well the deal has been proposed and accepted (tentatively). Saturn of Victoria will take our 2008 FWD Outlook XE (with no tow pkg) and replace it with a 2008 AWD XE Outlook with one.
The original however had no roof rails, but had the second sunroof (that we love), and the replacement has the rails, but no 2nd sunroof. Goodbye Garnet, Hello Silver.....
I pick it up on Saturday, after a very careful review of all the documentation and specifications. So far it's all been over the phone.

I'll keep everyone posted, and thanks for giving me a little place to vent!

Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
100MileVueOwner

2008 Outlook XE

After dreading yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised. When I arrived at the Saturn Dealer, they were all there to greet me, and very friendly (as usual). I assumed they'd be mad, or upset, but there was nothing of that.
When the dust settled, my wife and I drove out in a brand new 2008 AWD XE, silver in color. The new one does not have sunroofs, but does have roof rails, which are more practical, (but who doesn't love the 2 sunroofs!).
We went from a lease to purchase and our payments actually went down!

Thanks to all the informed people in this "community" who provided me with the right information for me to pass along to the necessary people!

Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
nakman
nakman is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for sharing your experience. When my VUE's lease is up later next year, I'm considering the Outlook. Two growing kids, a dog and travel trailer. The VUE does well but, the added room of the Outlook makes for more convenience. I wouldn't think the difference in towing capacity would be that much without the towing package. Anyways, sounds like the dealer made good on making it right within reason.

......I also really like the Buick Enclave too. Some great deals on them right now. Never thought I would be in the market for a Buick. Man, I must be getting old!!!!

Will have to see what's going on next year.

2007 VUE FWD 3.5L, Storm Grey
2008 Honda Accord, 2.4l, auto, Black
(Pic is the 03 VUE, 4 banger, 5 spd, gone but not forgotten)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nakman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nakman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nakman is offline   Reply With Quote