SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
keithldick
keithldick is on a distinguished road

Default 1998 SL14D, Key Stuck in Ignition Switch and will not come out

Hi I'm new here of course but when my Radiator Fan Died I found this informative site after Saturn of Houston told me they wanted $300 to change a $39 part and I did it myself...

Here's the story, I bought the car from them (Used about 2-years ago) and it looked to be well taken care of...

I got 2-Keys with the car, the original one and one that looks to be a a copy that was made early on because it doesn't look as "Worn"....

About 6-months ago I had the Ignition Key Get Stuck on me when I came home from Work and shut the car off... I wasn't sure what was going on so I "Wiggled" the key and the Steering Wheel for a while and it finally came out...

I hadn't had that same problem until today when I was going to wait in line for gas and I shut the car off because I was low on Fuel... Well it was Stuck again and nothing I could do get it to move either left or right or even get it out of the Ignition Switch and the Steering Wheel was "Not Locked"...

I could turn the steering wheel left and right, then the steering would lock if I turn it to the left but as soon as I turned it to the right it was free again...

Another person in line came along with some WD40 after I had been messing with it for nearly 2-hours and had called a Wrecker... He got it to atleast start so I could get it home (Sorry Wrecker Guy but you lost out on that money)... I bought that guy a few Beers...

As soon as I got home and turned it off the Key was stuck again and I played with it for another hour with no luck...

I'm sure if I call Saturn again, this time it will be around $1500 since they will probably try to convince me that they have to take the entire Steering Column apart which from what I was looking while messing around is Bull Crap..

Any ideas guys???

I just moved and started a new job a few months ago and that kinda money would put me in a bind...

Can I get around this some how since I can't go to work and I'd rather save all the bucks I can...

Many Thanks

Keith L. Dick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to keithldick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help keithldick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
keithldick is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2008, 04:51 AM   #2
Marty605
Marty605 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default Re: 1998 SL14D, Key Stuck in Ignition Switch and will not come out

Make sure the gear shifter is in the PARK position even wiggle it and turn the key at the same time. There is an electronic switch or sensor underneath the car that controls something to that effect. I cannot not recall the name of it????? Under the car near the gear shifter linkage. ANYONE??? I had it in my notes somewhere but i cant seem to find that TEXT file. My key stuck in the colder weather.

EDIT
Found it It's the BTSI or "Brake Transaxle Shift Interlock" Different models different years it's in the Hanes book.

1996 SL1 SOHC 1.9 215K Miles

Last edited by Marty605; 09-17-2008 at 05:04 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marty605's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marty605 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marty605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
keithldick

Thanks Marty.. It is in Park and I have no manuals

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help keithldick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
keithldick

Mods you can close this thread, I had to bow to the Mighty Saturn Dealership and pay $500 to get it fixed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
green97sc
green97sc is on a distinguished road

What did the dealer do? I took out the cylynder by prying the tab out since my key was stuck in the Run position, but when I replaced it with a new one the new switch alos got stuck in the Run position. So, I pried it out. The male portion of the starter housing popped out and the stem showed metal fatigue. Now I do not know what to do. Junk the car? Hope not. Anyone out there can advise?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to green97sc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help green97sc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
green97sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithldick View Post
Mods you can close this thread, I had to bow to the Mighty Saturn Dealership and pay $500 to get it fixed...
You just got ripped off. Possibly the worst rip off Ive seen so far.

You needed a new key cut from the dealer using your vin. $30 bucks and 5 minutes of your time.

If that didnt work, you then needed you needed a new lock cylinder from the dealer. $70 bucks which includes another new key and maybee 20 minutes of your time including the time to watch richpins video on how to change it out.

Total....$100 bucks and a saturday morning.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

I got a phone call from my wife last summer that she was stuck in a parking lot with the kids and groceries and the key was stuck in the run position.

bottom line is that the ignition cylinder had finally worn slap out. $15 from Auto zone bought me a new cylinder and two keys. A few minutes to get the column apart (plastic surrounds) and 30 seconds to replace the cylinder. There's a tab on the bottom that you depress with a screw driver and the whole works slides right out and the new one back in. Sorry to hear you had to pay the dealer to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

I had the same problem so I swapped keys and its fine. If the key is worn doesn't seem to like it.

I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote