SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
GM Sky Man
Member
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road
 
GM Sky Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 389

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Up 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Here are some pics to whet your collective appetites for the upcoming generation of Astra.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/08/g...ext-gen-astra/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GM Sky Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GM Sky Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member
mdcclxxvi is on a distinguished road
 
mdcclxxvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 745
 

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

I have my doubts:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/08/l...not-profitable

...
Project 8888
www.usAstra.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdcclxxvi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdcclxxvi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdcclxxvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
djmtz1
Member
djmtz1 is on a distinguished road
 
djmtz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: california!!!
Posts: 180

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Information Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

my concern is if this doesnt make it, is if they will begin to make aftermarket parts? I hate going to the dealer to buy everything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djmtz1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djmtz1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djmtz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice
 
BobbyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 7,030
 

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcclxxvi View Post
Wow... It took this long for Lutz to smell the coffee? As much as I admire his work at GM, maybe he should listen a little more to the bean counters...

I have been concerned from day one for Astra owners about their resources for parts and support. That's my only concern over the car.

It's not fun having to struggle to get parts and supplies for your car. Many of use went through this with our early s-series cars, IMO resources for the US Astra will be even more limited.

...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,962
 

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcclxxvi View Post
Get ready for the new Saturn Cruze!

...
Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,962
 

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I have been concerned from day one for Astra owners about their resources for parts and support. That's my only concern over the car.
It's not fun having to struggle to get parts and supplies for your car. Many of use went through this with our early s-series cars, IMO resources for the US Astra will be even more limited.
There's millions of Astras in the world though. It just means that parts will have to be shipped from Europe.

...
Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
nortsr
Member
nortsr is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sewell,NJ and Melbourne Beach,FL
Posts: 103
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Wow... It took this long for Lutz to smell the coffee? As much as I admire his work at GM, maybe he should listen a little more to the bean counters...

I have been concerned from day one for Astra owners about their resources for parts and support. That's my only concern over the car.

It's not fun having to struggle to get parts and supplies for your car. Many of use went through this with our early s-series cars, IMO resources for the US Astra will be even more limited.
I read somewhere recently that the 2010 Astra will not only be built overseas as they are now, but also in one of the U.S.A. GM factories due to the devalued dollar, as compared to the higher cost to build in Belguium or wherever.
As far as parts go, they are shipped from overseas now and should not be a problem in the future. Aftermarket consoles and some other items are already available on EBay.:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nortsr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nortsr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nortsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
nababbo
Member
nababbo is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 478

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcclxxvi View Post
holy cow did you guys read all the negative comments about the Astra on the article?
My question is, given that the Astra has been a flop thus far and will more than likely stay the same, what is going to happen with resale value? Will it be worse than other GM cars already are?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
JoeyD
Junior Member
JoeyD is on a distinguished road
 
JoeyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 47
 

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nababbo View Post
My question is, given that the Astra has been a flop thus far and will more than likely stay the same, what is going to happen with resale value? Will it be worse than other GM cars already are?
It's unfair to categorize the Astra as a flop. It's not a bad car. In fact, it's a success in Europe. It's just not profitable for GM to import. It's one of the reasons it's being considered for assembly in the US or Mexico.

By many standards the K-Car was a huge flop because of quality problems and bad dealerships. Yet it saved Chrysler.

Besides, if they stop offering the Astra because it's not a money maker it could make existing cars more valuable

[/dream]

...
'08 Astra XR 5
Twilight Blue, Sport Handling Pckg,
Sunroof, 5-speed

'03 Yukon XL SLT
It's big...let's leave it at that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JoeyD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JoeyD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JoeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice
 
BobbyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 7,030
 

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortsr View Post
I read somewhere recently that the 2010 Astra will not only be built overseas as they are now, but also in one of the U.S.A. GM factories due to the devalued dollar, as compared to the higher cost to build in Belguium or wherever.
As far as parts go, they are shipped from overseas now and should not be a problem in the future. Aftermarket consoles and some other items are already available on EBay.:
That would be great, but IMO current Astra sales doesn't inspire enough confidence for such a large capital expenditure. GM is most likely putting all their support behind the Cruze being built at Lordstown.

The Lordstown Complex is HUGE, it looked like it was over a mile long from the interstate.

...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice
 
BobbyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 7,030
 

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nababbo View Post
holy cow did you guys read all the negative comments about the Astra on the article?
My question is, given that the Astra has been a flop thus far and will more than likely stay the same, what is going to happen with resale value? Will it be worse than other GM cars already are?
There's 10 times as many reviews that rave about the Astra... Saturn's have never had great resale values, it never meant anything because most owners plan on driving them long term.

...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
foster
Junior Member
foster is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southeastern NY
Posts: 47

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nababbo View Post
holy cow did you guys read all the negative comments about the Astra on the article?
My question is, given that the Astra has been a flop thus far and will more than likely stay the same, what is going to happen with resale value? Will it be worse than other GM cars already are?



I read a lot of ignorant bull**** from people who have never driven the car.

The guy complaining that you can't shift the car from first to reverse fast enough to rock the car out of deep snow took the retard prize for the day though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to foster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help foster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #13
jaydee
Junior Member
jaydee is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 28
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

I agree with the above poster. Just about every complaint I hear about the Astra is not only from someone who's never driven the car, but also never intended on buying one. It drives like a dream, but "OMGosh the cupholder is behind the e-brake it's the worst car in the world Bob Lutz is an idiot"

I think the only thing that could kill the resale value of the Astra, is the 2010/2011 model is just as good as the 2008/2009 with better gas mileage. If they kill the next model for the US, IMO the resale would go up due to the uniqueness of the model. The fact that GM has not put any extra incentives on the car also helps it's resale value.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaydee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaydee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
ad_astra
Member
ad_astra is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 135
 

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Resale value seems to be not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I live in the state of virginia, which has a parsimonious form of taking money from the population known as the "personal property tax." This means that they can tax you on any big ticket items that you own, the most typical of which is one's car, hence the nickname "car tax."

They tax you based upon the value of the car. After six months of ownership of a 5-dr XE with 5-spd and a/c they rate the value as $14,767. I'm surprised it's that much, given that I paid $16,205 for it.

...
.....
2008 Twilight Blue Saturn Astra XE, 5-sp manual, a/c, and loads of fun

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ad_astra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ad_astra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about
 
Citation84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,996
 

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_astra View Post
Resale value seems to be not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I live in the state of virginia, which has a parsimonious form of taking money from the population known as the "personal property tax." This means that they can tax you on any big ticket items that you own, the most typical of which is one's car, hence the nickname "car tax."

They tax you based upon the value of the car. After six months of ownership of a 5-dr XE with 5-spd and a/c they rate the value as $14,767. I'm surprised it's that much, given that I paid $16,205 for it.
Well of course the state is going to value your car more highly. They're basing their tax hit on THEIR decided value. Not the market's. So they can suck more money out of you.

But if it makes you happy that your Astra is "holding it's value"........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #16
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about
 
Citation84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,996
 

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
There's 10 times as many reviews that rave about the Astra... Saturn's have never had great resale values, it never meant anything because most owners plan on driving them long term.
They DID have a great resale value in the 90s, that was one of their appealing features. Demand was strong both new and used. That kept the resale value high. No rebates, retail pricing, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #17
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about
 
Citation84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,996
 

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

What I would like to know is: why exactly does the source continue to claim the next Gen Aura will be based on the Opel Insignia ? It's already been stated over on GMI [announced by Bob Lutz] that it WON'T be, that the current Aura will be kept as is with some freshening for longer than planned. {Unless the plan has changed again}. The next Gen will be based on the Insignia platform but have it's own sheetmetal and interior.

And yes,unfortunately, the Astra IS a flop. The projected sales were to be between 40 and 50,000 units. Now we're told the goal was 25,000. And only 7900 or so have been sold ? That's a flop. The ION sold 100,000 units a year and that was considered a "flop", when the S Series clocked 285,000 in it's best year and 178,000 in it's worst.

Parse words and #s any way you please, this was probably the best small car Saturn ever offered and it's bombed. They can't even move them in the middle of a frigging gas crisis.

If you don't meet sales projections and you lose money on every car sold: that is a flop.

Doesn't matter if it's a great car or it's popular in Europe. GM NA is the one that needs the hit and the traction and for the car to SELL, not back up on it's lots.

Last edited by Citation84; 09-09-2008 at 07:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #18
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about
 
Citation84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,996
 

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I agree with the above poster. Just about every complaint I hear about the Astra is not only from someone who's never driven the car, but also never intended on buying one. It drives like a dream, but "OMGosh the cupholder is behind the e-brake it's the worst car in the world Bob Lutz is an idiot"

I think the only thing that could kill the resale value of the Astra, is the 2010/2011 model is just as good as the 2008/2009 with better gas mileage. If they kill the next model for the US, IMO the resale would go up due to the uniqueness of the model. The fact that GM has not put any extra incentives on the car also helps it's resale value.
Pretty much what they did and continue to do in regards to the ION. Welcome to the club. Actually: welcome to Saturn ownership. It goes with the territory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice
 
BobbyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 7,030
 

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
They DID have a great resale value in the 90s, that was one of their appealing features. Demand was strong both new and used. That kept the resale value high. No rebates, retail pricing, etc.
Must have been the early 90's. The days when you had a hard time even finding a used Saturn... I heard dealers would buy them as soon as they find someone else had them for sale to maintain their value.

When my sister bought her SKY, the first month they were for sale, they made he sign a form stating she could not sell it to anyone other than the Saturn dealer for 1 year.

...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about
 
Citation84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,996
 

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: 2010 Astra - Sneak Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Must have been the early 90's. The days when you had a hard time even finding a used Saturn... I heard dealers would buy them as soon as they find someone else had them for sale to maintain their value.

When my sister bought her SKY, the first month they were for sale, they made he sign a form stating she could not sell it to anyone other than the Saturn dealer for 1 year.
Do you really think that would stand up in court for one second ? Not being argumentative, it just seems there's no way that could be enforced. What could they do if she did ? Repossess her ? Or get her first born child ?

Though, post WW II, dealers, attempting to cut out the black market in cars because demand was so heavy, insisted that people sign something similar that they wouldn't turn around and resell it within a certain amount of time. At that time there were months long waiting lists for everything, even Crosleys as pent up demand after the war was far greater than supply. It was a seller's market.

I don't see how that could possibly be legally binding. And I totally believe you, just have no idea how that could be enforced.

I'd love to know what the stipulations in that document were, Bobby P. Sounds like a good old fashioned dealer ploy like etching and $500 paint and interior treatments and tint and "additional dealer mark up".

As for the resale of the early Saturn's that was exactly why resale remained high, one of the many reasons. And they had a sort of mystique back then, the newest thang on the block. That helped as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Astra - Sneak peak Part 2 KillerX Astra General 5 09-12-2008 03:15 PM
Sneak Peak: Should Saturn Offer a Coupe and Wagon Version of its Next-Generation Aura Charlie Aura General 12 05-02-2008 10:50 AM
Sneak Peak at Some of Saturn's Colors for 2009 Charlie General Saturn Discussion 19 01-20-2008 11:51 AM
Get your sneak peak of the 2008 Saturns here!! johnsocal General Saturn Discussion 24 12-19-2003 05:47 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.