SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default XM/Sirius Merger Means More Choices for Existing Customers Too

A new story entry has been added:

XM/Sirius Merger Means More Choices for Existing Customers Too

Quote:
General Motors' executive director for satellite radio services, Richard Lee, sent out an e-mail this afternoon explaining that the newly merged XM and Sirius satellite radio companies would soon begin offering combined XM/Sirius services to existing XM and Sirius customers.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: XM/Sirius Merger Means More Choices for Existing Customers Too

While this sounds encouraging, I am appoaching it with skeptcism. Anytime competition is eliminated or merged, it means less choices for the consumer. Less choices means weaker product. I am hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.
(XM subscriber for 3 years)

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: XM/Sirius Merger Means More Choices for Existing Customers Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
While this sounds encouraging, I am appoaching it with skeptcism. Anytime competition is eliminated or merged, it means less choices for the consumer. Less choices means weaker product. I am hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.
(XM subscriber for 3 years)
Very well put. I also have sirius for 2 years now, and really like it.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

I wonder what it means for satellite ops. I have a feeling my friends up at Telesat in Ottawa and my friends at Sirius are going to be competing with each other to hold onto their satellites!

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

You'll get new pricing and packages. In fact, there will be exciting new subscription packages that combine the best of what each company has to offer. Packages including the best of both XM and SIRIUS programming will be priced below the cost of subscribing to them separately.

Although this sounds great, my wife and I would probably end up spending more money if we went with this type of combination package. Case in point: My wife's 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander came equipped with Sirius (no charge for 6-months), while my 2007 Aura came equipped with XM. At the end of our free 3-month subscription of XM, we decided to purchase a one year package, which comes out to around $12.99/month. I would imagine that when our free 6-month trial is up with Sirius we will purchase a comparable package if one is available. Both my wife and I enjoy many of the stations offered by both companies and would love to have a combination in each of our cars. If we decide to purchase a combination package for both vehicles, I imagine we would pay significantly more judging by the aforementioned quote.

We will have to wait and see what this merger brings.

2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TechnoAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TechnoAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TechnoAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoAura View Post
You'll get new pricing and packages. In fact, there will be exciting new subscription packages that combine the best of what each company has to offer. Packages including the best of both XM and SIRIUS programming will be priced below the cost of subscribing to them separately.

Although this sounds great, my wife and I would probably end up spending more money if we went with this type of combination package. Case in point: My wife's 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander came equipped with Sirius (no charge for 6-months), while my 2007 Aura came equipped with XM. At the end of our free 3-month subscription of XM, we decided to purchase a one year package, which comes out to around $12.99/month. I would imagine that when our free 6-month trial is up with Sirius we will purchase a comparable package if one is available. Both my wife and I enjoy many of the stations offered by both companies and would love to have a combination in each of our cars. If we decide to purchase a combination package for both vehicles, I imagine we would pay significantly more judging by the aforementioned quote.

We will have to wait and see what this merger brings.
I have heard that Sirius is not going to be changing plans if you have been a subscriber for a period of time, cost-wise.

I have 2 units:
The first is $12.99/month
the 2nd is $6.99/month

with tax it equals $21.23/month.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
I have heard that Sirius is not going to be changing plans if you have been a subscriber for a period of time, cost-wise.

I have 2 units:
The first is $12.99/month
the 2nd is $6.99/month

with tax it equals $21.23/month.
I sure hope so. I have a lifetime suscription for two units in three vehicles. I have aftermarket Kenwood headunits in my Suburban and Saturn. I just swap the Sirius tuner depending on which vehicle I'll be driving.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Received a letter from Xm, yesterday.

I was hoping it was news of the merger & programming, but it was not. It was news of "possible interference" caused by Xm units produced prior to 2006. Apparently, my Roady2 unit (coupled with FM modulator) can cause interfence with FM units outside my car. Fancy that! (he-he!)

The letter stated that if I wanted to fix the problem. (i don't) I can notify them and they will send me some "ferrite" love beads for my antenna.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Which, uh. Wouldn't do anything if you stuck them on your car antenna anyway. Car antenna's passive. No RF should be coming from it unless there's really something wrong with it. Say, someone hooked it up to your alternator...

(Gee, I wonder how long it would take the FCC to track you down if you did that.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: XM/Sirius Merger Means More Choices for Existing Customers Too

ah, i think that you take out the radio, and put that on the antenna wire, that plugs in to the radio.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote