SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Yoda
Yoda is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default 97 SL2: chime module bad?

Daughter has a 97 SL2. Her chime operates anytime the door is open (lights on/off, key in/out) I fugured it was the ign, so opened the covers to check. Disconnected the wires from the ign sw and chime still operates. Pulled the chime module. Wire 7 to module is for the key reminder. Checking continuity from pin 7 to ground is open. Put key in and it has continuity (key switch OK)

So, at the module, I have the battery feed correct, ign feed correct, parklight feed correct, key feed correct, the ground is correct, and door switch is correct.

To me it seems as thought the chime module itself has malfunctioned. Anyone else have this happen?

Number on this module is 21023059

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yoda's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yoda reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
boatmoter
boatmoter is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Re: 97 SL2: chime module bad?

don't have a fix for you, but thought I would tell you about this one,on mine the chime module would just start going off driving down the interstate or anywhere,just whenever it fely like going off,I removed it,removing or disabling it it knocks out the rear window defogger too..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to boatmoter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help boatmoter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
boatmoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Yoda,

If it were me, Id just head over to the junkyard and get one, and see if it takes care of the problem. Cant be but a few bucks.

94 Blue SL1 RIP Thanks to a Drunk Uninsured Driver
95 White Bonneville w/190k

Soon Ill be back in Saturnland.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Chime module bad? No, not the module

Quote:
Fm Yoda
To me it seems as though the chime module itself has malfunctioned. Anyone else have this happen?
Yes, from my experience, the chimes are coming from the ignition key mechanism is not correctly reading that the driver's side door is open.
You can test this theory by simply pushing in the little finger which is at the lower part of the door from.

You'll also notice that the "chiming " is not apparent when the passenger side door is open.

Mine has gone away, however, should it re-appear, the key mechanism would have to be removed and cleaned or replaced. I believe that others here may have a better solution, though.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
molbly
molbly is on a distinguished road

so does it really knock out the rear defogger? it seems like mine is not working and i have no chimes. 94 sl1 btw. when i bought the car there was a little green box laying on the floor. is that the chime module and where does it go. i definately need rear defrost in the coming minnesota winter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to molbly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help molbly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
molbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
rickystarshine
rickystarshine has a spectacular aura aboutrickystarshine has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Yes, the rear defrost circuit goes through the chime module on that car.

The defrost quit working on my wife's sc1, I took out the chime module & cleaned the contacts on it, and to my amazement, the defroster started to work again, so, what the hay, give that a try!

Good luck!

Rick

2005 ION 2 5 spd 202,155 miles
2001 SL1 Auto 298,252 miles
1997 Sl1 Auto 163,266 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rickystarshine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rickystarshine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rickystarshine is offline   Reply With Quote